Is it worth refinishing AK furnature?

A WASR is just a Romanian AK isn't it? I can't believe there is any collector value effected by the color of the wood. Do what you want to it.

no, no, no, no......

i'm with mr. robjax, i'd leave it. if the wasr was especially tired looking it'd look rather good i would imagine.

maybe, but i bet over half the members here wish they even had "just a wasr 10." i know i regret not buying one or 2 when they were $499. [crying]
Lets turn tears into anger 4 seasons had them for $229 with 30 round pre bans. I laughed and said im not paying that for POS AK. I did pick up a wasr 10/62 in an estate sale later sold it for $750 go back justva few more years and my Norinco mac90 with 2 stocks , several mags IIRC
2 30s 2 20s and 2 10s for hunting
Bought itvon sale and they where giving away a case of x39 corrosive think it wad 1740 round crate? The marget was flooded with the “new” non corrosive hunting loads in x39 from russia. Hollow points so the corrosive was dirt cheap.
I should have saved a picture of the norinco ammo with a price tag $1.70 per box

Last edited:
Lets turn tears into anger 4 seasons had them for $229 with 30 round pre bans. I laughed and said im not paying that for POS AK. I did pick up a wasr 10/62 in an estate sale later sold it for $750 go back justva few more years and my Norinco mac90 with 2 stocks , several mags IIRC
2 30s 2 20s and 2 10s for hunting
Bought itvon sale and they where giving away a case of x39 corrosive think it wad 1740 round crate? The marget was flooded with the “new” non corrosive hunting loads in x39 from russia. Hollow points so the corrosive was dirt cheap.
I should have saved a picture of the norinco ammo with a price tag $1.70 per box
7.62x39 is still way more economical than 5.56. 18 cents a round, I don't know if you can beat that for a center fire rifle round. 16 cents for 9mm if you want to consider a PCC.

I shoot more of it than anything, I think. 22lr might be close. That said, I think I might've given up on my AK74 dream and will plan for a 5.56 AK, which I had always considered blasphemy. But 5.45 seems to be turning into a rare commodity these days, whereas 5.56 will probably always be around--unless that politician--whoever it was--gets their ban on "AR15 ammo."

will plan for a 5.56 AK
wish i had one...now. in 2015 a guy in work approached me asking if i wanted to buy his nib norinco ak in .223/5.56 for $1500. i sez "you're out of your mind partner, it's a $700 gun. take 7 or nothing." he ended up selling it for 650 down in florida when he moved there i found out a few weeks later when he was back here closing up loose ends. i was so pissed.

we were laid off not long after and i took some severance and bought an arsenal sam 7r in 7.62x39. i wanted a milled gun and i was wanting an ak type in the safe, i was top heavy in ar type rifles. i built a couple ars in 7.62x39 as well just because and they shoot extremely well. glad now i did, like everyone one else i was blindsided by that second ban of the ag.

wish i had one...now. in 2015 a guy in work approached me asking if i wanted to buy his nib norinco ak in .223/5.56 for $1500. i sez "you're out of your mind partner, it's a $700 gun. take 7 or nothing." he ended up selling it for 650 down in florida when he moved there i found out a few weeks later when he was back here closing up loose ends. i was so pissed.

we were laid off not long after and i took some severance and bought an arsenal sam 7r in 7.62x39. i wanted a milled gun and i was wanting an ak type in the safe, i was top heavy in ar type rifles. i built a couple ars in 7.62x39 as well just because and they shoot extremely well. glad now i did, like everyone one else i was blindsided by that second ban of the ag.
I debated getting my BCM or an Arsenal SLR-106F back in January. I knew the 106F was going to sell out but figured the BCM was smarter. My main gripe is they don't make the 106 with the side rail any more. I wanted to try an AK with a red dot. Not excited about dropping $1000+ to have to shell out for the addition of a rail.

Between the drying up decent AKs in non-7.62x39 caliber (at least it feels that way) and potential Federal AWB, if I find a new 106F I think I'll just put it on the credit card.

I have two 7.62x39 AKs, I don't really feel like adding another...but I only seem to see them made in that caliber these days.

Just a followup, I refinished the AK furniture with minwax gunstock stain and tru-oil. I think it came out pretty good
This is all subject to what you like.
I am usually torn between leave it or clean it . I assume that your stock is laminated ? Laminated wood tends to be tough to “refinish”
Your stock looks good and if tour happy all is well.
I like to just get the filth off stocks and give the a Pure Tung Oil < first choice or BLO for run of the mill stocks that wont see much use.
I lean towards Tru Oil , “tung oil” finishes or wipe on type varnishes for a little more protection. Although they will show imperfections on uneven wood or scratches/pours and such. They are generally more glossy as applied.
I avoid staining unless theres a goid reason to. When I stain i have been using alcohol based dyes . Its a learning curve and some products do not go well with others

Back
Top Bottom