Is it possible to take an Amendment to far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Women in this country have the right to an abortion if they so choose. The opposing people have their right to hold signs stating their opinion also, no matter how graphic. If my 4th grader witnessed this and asked me about it, i would tell him that some people get pissed when others don't agree with their way of thinking and act like a**h***s..

Someone even has my comment on this in their sig somewhere...

If you do not defend the right of people to say things that offend you, then you don't really believe in freedom of speech.

Saying offensive things is not without potential social or economic (slander/libel/punched in the mouth) consequences, which is fine by me, but as for the protection offered by the 1st Amendment, we are far too squeamish when it comes to the corner cases...

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me

Learn it, live it, love it...

Last edited:
Can we all find a common enemy?

Maybe those clowns that protest military funerals?

Thought I would try to help pull this thread away from locking.

One more 'are you a killer' or 'woman have a right' and this thread is done.

The doctor is IN!

00508721.zoom.a.jpg

Is it possible? Yes it's possible - courts have ruled that freedom of speech does not necessarily apply in every circumstance. Libel and slander for example.

Should it be possible? That's a very different question.

Aren't "Machine Guns" or "More than one gun a month" taking the 2nd too far?

What about "reasonable" search and seizure? What's the definition of "reasonable"?

I can't belive this question is being asked.

No, we don't want to oppress women.

We just want to prevent murder of someone who did not ask to be created just to be killed. Use some other form of birth control.

Are you a murderer?

Not allowing women absolute control over their own body is oppression of their right to run their body. If you don't agree with it don't get one. I tell people all the time if you don't like firearms then don't get one but don't screw with my right to one. Same rule applies to abortion.

Birth control does not always work. People use multiple forms of birth control and yet still conceive. Let them choose what they want.

Murder is subjective. Killing someone in self defense is not murder. I don't believe the abortion is murder. I don't want people to just use it as birth control, but they can choose what they want.

Last edited:
Is it possible? Yes it's possible - courts have ruled that freedom of speech does not necessarily apply in every circumstance. Libel and slander for example.

Should it be possible? That's a very different question.

The problem with this is that you have to have an objective truth for libel and slander laws to stand up.

There is apparently no objective truth as to what constitutes a human being, which is inherently entitled to "Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

The relative morality of the baby boomers is tearing this country into shreds and turning us into a very rich Africa.

Not allowing women absolute control over their own body is oppression of their right to run their body. If you don't agree with it don't get one. I tell people all the time if you don't like firearms then don't get one but don't screw with my right to one. Same rule applies to abortion.

Birth control does not always work. People use multiple forms of birth control and yet still conceive. Let them choose what they want.

Murder is subjective. Killing someone in self defense is not murder. I don't believe the abortion is murder. I don't want people to just use it as birth control, but they can shoose what they want.

^This

And as much as I'd like to take a hammer to those douchebags that wave signs around at soldiers funerals, they do have that right. The 1st Amendment is an all or nothing game.

And IBTL too

And as much as I'd like to take a hammer to those douchebags that wave signs around at soldiers funerals, they do have that right. The 1st Amendment is an all or nothing game.

This is a much better example of how far the 1st Ammendment goes. I hate, despise and would love nothing more then to help put a couple of these Westborough Baptist Church scumbag in a grave themselves. But, overall it is their 1st Ammendment right to protest at funerals and say what they want. It is an all or nothing thing, even though it burns my ass whenever I see one of those asshats.

The problem with this is that you have to have an objective truth for libel and slander laws to stand up.

There is apparently no objective truth as to what constitutes a human being, which is inherently entitled to "Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

The relative morality of the baby boomers is tearing this country into shreds and turning us into a very rich Africa.

Well this is (allegedly) a 1A thread and not an abortion thread. The question that the OP asked was "Is it possible to take an Amendment to [sic] far?" The simple answer to the specific question as it was asked is clearly "yes."

This is a much better example of how far the 1st Ammendment goes. I hate, despise and would love nothing more then to help put a couple of these Westborough Baptist Church scumbag in a grave themselves. But, overall it is their 1st Ammendment right to protest at funerals and say what they want. It is an all or nothing thing, even though it burns my ass whenever I see one of those asshats.

Nope. Because those douchebags are hiding behind LEO's to cover their asses for what they're saying, using the 1stA as a shield.

The ones out there with the pictures of fetuses don't have anyone on their side. Even people who consider themselves "decent, unbiased men" won't stand up for their right to speak uninhibited.

As jasons just stated, Libel and Slander are there....

However, that being said, even in those cases the government is not prohibiting you from launching or publishing those words.... they're only allowing someone to sue the piss out of you if it causes them harm. The cops aren't going to come arrest you. I suppose there is "Harassment" but that ends up being a huge gray area. Generally speaking a person has to go way overboard before that could become an issue.

Generally speaking a constitutional rights (in a legal sense) are only limited based on "level of perceived harm".

In the case of the first amendment someone like that bastard phelps would have the right to protest... but he is not going to be able to get away with using a bullhorn outside someone's house at 2 AM, because the noise of his broadcast could be considered by a reasonable person to cause harm to the community/neighborhood.

Rights are limited in a legal sense, but the bar should always be held to an extremely
high level. For example carrying a loaded gun (concealed OR openly!) should be
protected but it is at least understandable if there was a law against discharging a
firearm on a public street in a city without cause, because by randomly firing shots into
the air you could be endangering others.

Of course, these questions often hinge on a societal mindset of "what is reasonable". The problem is what is reasonable to moonbats today vs what the founders considered
reasonable are two worlds apart. The law has to err on the side of what the founders
thought and not what the media driven brainwashed fruitloops of today think.

-Mike

Well this is (allegedly) a 1A thread and not an abortion thread. The question that the OP asked was "Is it possible to take an Amendment to [sic] far?" The simple answer to the specific question as it was asked is clearly "yes."

Truth is always the best defense. Which holds up in libel/slander cases. But There is no defined "truth" in an abortion debate. Hence the debate.

Nope. Because those douchebags are hiding behind LEO's to cover their asses for what they're saying, using the 1stA as a shield.

The ones out there with the pictures of fetuses don't have anyone on their side. Even people who consider themselves "decent, unbiased men" won't stand up for their right to speak uninhibited.

I don't want to hear many of the things that people stand for out there. I just don't want their right to say it restricted. The minute this right starts to get restricted is a tragedy.

Hell no. One gun a month is just terrible. It all boils down to one simple thing. Why? The time to crime of the average firearm is 13 years in MA. Almost 50% of all firearms traced in MA are of unknown origin. How is restricting traceable firearms going to help with morons who commit crimes?

Truth is always the best defense. Which holds up in libel/slander cases. But There is no defined "truth" in an abortion debate. Hence the debate.

Sure there is. They aren't making things up, unless you include those tossing about the religious angle.

The problem is what is reasonable to moonbats today vs what the founders considered reasonable are two worlds apart.

Well said. Sad but true.

Right, but that wasn't the question. (Or was it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom