• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it legal to own and fire a functional cannon in NH?

Below are pictures of my cannon. Please let me know what you think. I want to hear it all, good, bad or otherwise. Thanks!

Last edited:
Pictures of my cannon

cannon2.jpg
cannon1.jpg

Adjustable for elevation. Not bad for the first one. I think I could do better if I tried again.

Last edited:
Below are pictures of my cannon. Please let me know what you think. I want to hear it all, good, bad or otherwise. Thanks!

Cute tool for use as the elevator. [smile] Every cannon needs to stabilize itself when you fire it. You put the stabilizer up front (the L shaped steel bar) but the majority of the force will be going backwards. You should stabilize the rear by going out to both sides with something angled down. Look to the howitzers for inspiration.

Sweet looking cannon! I like the car jack elevator. Do you account for rotation of the earth in your trajectory tables?[smile]

What about a catapult? I saw them build one on one of those Mythbusters type shows, and it didn't really work. I'd like a small one. Anyone ever built one??

A friend of mine wants me to build a trebuchet. I have been doing a little research, and I haven't made up my mind if it is something I want to do or not. It seems like it will be pretty difficult to build just do to the size of it. A catapult would also be fun, and possibly easier to build. I'm going to look into that a little more, maybe I'll bust one out. I am only working PT right now due to a back injury, so I have a ton of time on my hands. I build stuff all the time to keep from going insane, as I have a full woodshop and most of what I need for metal fab. If anybody knows of some good catapult plans, let me know!

My daughter and I built a trebuchet out of Tinker Toys one night and then layed seige to my wife who was across the living room, studying on the couch. Pretty simple actualy. The toughest part was geting the trigger that relased the shot timed correctly. Ours stood about 18" high and threw about 10-12 feet. So I figure you can build them any size between that and this: Yankee Seige

Cute tool for use as the elevator. [smile] Every cannon needs to stabilize itself when you fire it. You put the stabilizer up front (the L shaped steel bar) but the majority of the force will be going backwards. You should stabilize the rear by going out to both sides with something angled down. Look to the howitzers for inspiration.

I am going to put outriggers on the rear as well, just ran out of weld wire. I stake down the front, so it really doesn't move much. But it will have support in the back soon, as I just grabbed a roll of weld wire today.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom