• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it legal to own and fire a functional cannon in NH?

I recently decided I wanted a cannon. So I went into my shop and fabricated one. Nothing huge, the barrel is 18" and has a 1" bore. My Dad was a little worried that I might get into some trouble, so I thought I should find out the legality before I find out the hard way. I googled it, but nothing conclusive. If it is legal, and I don't have to put the cutting torch to it, I will get some pics of it posted, as all my friends say it is Bad-ass. I just want to know if I am going to end up in jail or getting the thing confiscated before I go and fire it off.

Last edited:
I know of a guy who has something similar made out of stainless steel. Whenever he sets it off, the State police show up about 20 minuets later.

Its better than the Bat Signal. In the end he destroyed it.

I'm not sure....it seems like its perfectly legal to make something like a potato gun, which really is a basic cannon...

This isn't really a potato gun. I made it to fire blackpowder and 3oz. slugs that I made a mold for. I expect it will be quite loud, as 300 grains of pyrodex in a 1" bore that short probably will be. I hope that somebody can steer me in the right direction, as I really don't want to get in trouble. Probably should have thought of that first, but I can't do everything right.

Well, I don't know about you, but anytime I'm about to do anything that involves a loud boom, I first ask myself if what I'm doing is legal.

Cannons are legal in MA... firing them, however, may not be. (It requires a special license, IIRC. )

-Mike

my opinion is if it uses a explosive action to propel a projectile it is a firearm. i believe this is the legal definition that separates paintball and airsoft guns out of fid requirements.

Well, I don't know about you, but anytime I'm about to do anything that involves a loud boom, I first ask myself if what I'm doing is legal.
I haven't made the boom yet. But, I should have checked on this first, rather than after I built it.(as it could end up never seeing use)

My original thought was that it is essentially just a big-bore muzzle-loader that is mounted on a stand. I believe it is legal to own, possess, build and fire homemade firearms in NH as long as they are of legal length and are not suppressed or full auto. Please correct me if I am wrong, as that is the reason I asked in the first place. Thanks for the help!

A good freind of mine here in NY builds small cannons, he uses a very heavy wall cromed hydraulic tubing for the barrels, with a 1 1/2" bore. Legal, in from what my state trooper brother-in-law says, as long as nothing is coming out of the barrel, or you don't do anything illegal with it (last last part makes it illegal to me the moment someone calls the cops about noise if you ask me). But anyhow, thses things are built sturdy sturdy sturdy. I only mention that because I wanted to share with you how much pyrodex he uses for one shot. He uses a 35mm film canister to measure it out.... 5 cannisters equals one shot. Loud is not a good description. He lives on a lake, and the report across the lake is awsome. I wouldn't fire anything out of it the first time, just fire it empty to see what it does. And make sure you have someway of keeping it in place, if it just sitting on the ground unrestrained when you touch it off, someone will get hurt when the cannon goes flying backwards. My friends have a long bar built into the carrage (sticking out behind the cannon and resting on the ground) that drives itself into the ground from the recoil of the blast. After two shots in it's original configuration of the bar being bolted to the carrage with 7/16" bolts and the bolts BROKE, we built a new carrage with the bar actually being the carrige. It's awsome sight when they go. Have fun, but be carefull. Mark.

I can't comment about the legality, but I had a friend who lived in Antrim who had both a cannon that fired 1" balls and a mortar that fired beer cans that he filled with cement, both of which he fired from time to time in the woods behind his house. AFAIK he's a free man today (YMMV).

I recently decided I wanted a cannon. . . . I just want to know if I am going to end up in jail or getting the thing confiscated before I go and fire it off.

Legal to own in MA and a special permit to fire, but you are in NH. OTOH, if it is legal HERE it must be legal in Vatican City, never mind NH.

This isn't really a potato gun. I made it to fire blackpowder . . .

Leave it at that. Even in NH you might find yourself in trouble if you shoot more than blank charges.

Cannons are legal in MA... firing them, however, may not be. (It requires a special license, IIRC. )

-Mike

Yes. The thread someone linked has links to more info on that.

Great advice!

They are cool, but stick to apples or pears, not cannonballs.

[STRIKE]BTW, OP, At some point, a cannon necessarily stops being a cannon and starts being a destructive device. You aren't there with a tiny bore like that, but keep it in mind...[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
My father has always wanted a canon for our family retreat in NH. I'm reasonably sure he never intends for it to be shot, but rather to be put on the property facing down a long portion of the driveway. This thread holds more than passing interest for me.

My father has always wanted a canon for our family retreat in NH. I'm reasonably sure he never intends for it to be shot, but rather to be put on the property facing down a long portion of the driveway. This thread holds more than passing interest for me.

This is what your dad needs! It could be for sale.

See if you can track down the gun shop used for this group buy:

. . . Outside the gun store where I picked them up.

0504091824a.jpg

. . .

I saw it and my first thought was "I wonder how much?"

Worth a shot I guess. (no pun intended)

As far as I'm aware, cannons are completely legal to possess and fire in NH. You cannot have explosive tipped ammunition for a cannon without an explosives license (RSA 158), and you cannot fire a cannon (or a gun) within the 'compact part' of a town or city without written permission (RSA 644:13). Compact part is defined as any town/city park or playground, within 300 feet of a nonresidential, commercial building, and within 300 feet of any cluster of six or more buildings within 300 feet of each other.

We have a 2" cannon at our families' retreat in Conway, NH that we load and fire whenever we damn well please.

They are legal, as long as you're not within 300' of a congested residential area (according to NH State Police, who came and investigated the first time we fired and stayed to fire at least another 20 rounds or so) and cannot be fired directed at a residence.

We fire across out field (52 acres) that abuts the Saco river.

BTW, OP, At some point, a cannon necessarily stops being a cannon and starts being a destructive device. You aren't there with a tiny bore like that, but keep it in mind...

A BP cannon is not an NFA DD, regardless of bore diameter. At least as
far as the feds are concerned, a typical breech-loading BP cannon is a primitive firearm.

Now, you get something like this, and it's a whole different ballgame, because
it uses a cartridge. [laugh]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soYqGVkU02E

-Mike

Here's the funniest part, not one person in this forum was shocked he had a canon, and secondly, he actually wondered if it was legal after he built it.

I love New Hampshire, you know a state is free when you can own a canon.

i know somebody who has a small home-made cannon in NH. He's never been in trouble for firing it though... although one night in Northern NH there was a combination of incidents including the torching of a newly made outhouse and the firing of this cannon that brought police and the fire department to the site. once the cops got there they just said they better not have to come out again that night. small town NH = cool cops

on a funny yet potentially dangerous side-note: this cannon was once fired on an empty frozen pond. there was no snow covering the ice. I heard it took them a while to find the cannon... [rofl]

As far as I'm aware, cannons are completely legal to possess and fire in NH. You cannot have explosive tipped ammunition for a cannon without an explosives license (RSA 158), and you cannot fire a cannon (or a gun) within the 'compact part' of a town or city without written permission (RSA 644:13). Compact part is defined as any town/city park or playground, within 300 feet of a nonresidential, commercial building, and within 300 feet of any cluster of six or more buildings within 300 feet of each other.

A master of MA and NH laws. [smile]

Perfect. The house is in the woods surrounded by houses owned by....us.

Off to shop for a cannon and some shot! I have some trees that need to be taken down. Screw a chainsaw. I want kindling.

my opinion is if it uses a explosive action to propel a projectile it is a firearm. i believe this is the legal definition that separates paintball and airsoft guns out of fid requirements.

Black powder falls into a different class. Remember, no FFL required for black powder rifles.

Back
Top Bottom