Is Chelsea a high crime area?

I simply asked how Chelsea was crime wise, I don't need a self esteem lesson. I was serving in Lebanon when some of you were still hanging off of one of momma's ta-ta's. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. It does help however, to know you're surroundings.

So to make a long story short please stick to answering the question and spare me the PBS info-mercials on how to carry myself.

Just trying to help. I've grown up in "high crime" areas just about my whole life where any party or get-together could erupt into gunshots at any time between groups of idiots that don't like each other, or people would get preyed on for carrying themselves in a certain way. Pardon me if I don't see the correlation between being part of a well supported military detachment during a mission and being alone, outnumbered, outgunned, in the middle of a sketchy inner-city area that you're not familiar with.

Crime statistics won't tell you squat...if you know how to carry yourself then you answered your own question before you even asked it.

If you run into any trouble you can always scream "I served in Lebanon you fuggers!!!"...I'm sure that would both shock and awe any would-be assailants. [rolleyes]

But if it makes you feel any better:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ma/chelsea/crime/

There, everything you need to know in black and white.

You're welcome.

Just like anywhere else, the way you carry yourself is going to have a lot more effect on whether or not you have trouble than the crime rate in the area.

Walk around looking scared and unsure, you might have a problem. Walk around looking like Captain Gung-Ho Crimefighter, you might have a problem.

Mind your own business, do your job, and project an aura of confident calm, yet keep alert and ready, you'll most likely be ok.
Whew, I knew Ninja Band Camp was going to pay off in the long run!

I have worked EMS in Chelsea for 4 years, I know the city fairly well. Odds are you won't get bothered, especially in that area. They are doing bridge construction not too far from there right now and there is always 3-4 cops on detail there. But like any other lower income area, there is always a greater risk than quiet suburbia. Also, whoever said the downtown area looks nice is thinking of the wrong Chelsea.

I have worked EMS in Chelsea for 4 years, I know the city fairly well. Odds are you won't get bothered, especially in that area. They are doing bridge construction not too far from there right now and there is always 3-4 cops on detail there. But like any other lower income area, there is always a greater risk than quiet suburbia. Also, whoever said the downtown area looks nice is thinking of the wrong Chelsea.

Maybe they were thinking of Chelsea Clinton? Oh wait... that doesn't work either.

ALL Parts of Brockton will run chills up your spine in comparison.

-Mike

There used to be some not so bad, almost nice areas of Brockton. I had an aunt I used to visit when I was a kid. Can't recall the street but it was in a development that used to be called the "Campanelli houses". Little shoebox homes with nice yards and decent neighbors. Last time I went back, and that was quite a long time ago, it had turned to crap.

In 1979, I walked alone after midnight, from the northern reaches of Main Street into West Bridgewater. But that's back when I was drinking.

ALL Parts of Brockton will run chills up your spine in comparison.

A month or so back I drove through Brockton on Route 27 to bring my 10 year old to a soccer games in Abington or Whitman or someplace. I assumed that, like most games, it was going to be on a school field (it wasn't) and I did the good doobie thing and left the Glock 30 at home. Big mistake.

The area within the 2-5 blocks from the PD looks like a war zone. Zombies everywhere, and we are in my Jeep with no top. I told my son to put on his sunglasses and not to look at anyone. I took the Becker BK-7 combat knife out of its hiding/storage area, unsnapped the retention strap and jammed it between the seat and console for quick draw friction. That area and its denizens are unnerving. I timed every light so I wouldn't have to stop and kept at least a cars length between me and any other vehicle.

This was the region I passed through - I hope Chelsea isn't as bad. My firearms records are there after all. :-/

http://www.enterprisenews.com/news/...t-gangs-recruiting-at-alternative-high-school

A month or so back I drove through Brockton on Route 27 to bring my 10 year old to a soccer games in Abington or Whitman or someplace. I assumed that, like most games, it was going to be on a school field (it wasn't) and I did the good doobie thing and left the Glock 30 at home. Big mistake.

The area within the 2-5 blocks from the PD looks like a war zone. Zombies everywhere, and we are in my Jeep with no top. I told my son to put on his sunglasses and not to look at anyone. I took the Becker BK-7 combat knife out of its hiding/storage area, unsnapped the retention strap and jammed it between the seat and console for quick draw friction. That area and its denizens are unnerving. I timed every light so I wouldn't have to stop and kept at least a cars length between me and any other vehicle.

This was the region I passed through - I hope Chelsea isn't as bad. My firearms records are there after all. :-/

http://www.enterprisenews.com/news/...t-gangs-recruiting-at-alternative-high-school

Reminds me of my trip to meet my son's fiancee's family in Connecticut last month. We strayed onto Albany Ave. in Hartford. In broad daylight, my heart was in my throat at every redlight. I turned to my son and said, "I can't take my gun out of state. And this is why we rarely go out of state.".

It was like what you see on TV.

Carry and be ready, just like anyplace else.

If you have as much experience as you do, why is it even a question about how to carry yourself in that area? Crime happens everywhere from Mount Vernon to Dorchester. It wouldn't hurt to have the same self alert system everywhere as opposed to just the "bad" areas.

What these two said.

Thats funny I work as an electrician putting in and redoing CCTV systems in places in brockton and elsewhere and that G-30 is my buddy too haha.

Back
Top Bottom