Is a Aimpoint 3000 red dot usable for bullseye shooting?

I'm looking to mount a tubular red dot scope on a Ruger Mark III that will be used for indoor bullseye competition. If I'm going to buy something new it will likely be an Ultradot but I found an old used Aimpoint 3000 for $50 locally. Its 4MOA dot. Is this worth messing around with to save a few bucks or should I just get an Ultradot and be done with it?

http://www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s?id=46&prev_id=46&product_id=85

I shoot bullseye with an old Aimpoint 2000. I've got the "short" version 5". On top of a Ruger MkIII 5.5" bull barrel it makes for a heavy gun but I don't mind it. I'd be more concerned about the length of the 3000 (7.1") than the dot size.

dscf9517_med.jpg

I picked up the Aimpoint 3000 tonight. It looked good enough and I figure it will hold zero better than any new $50 Tasco I can grab off the shelf. It says model 3000 right on it but, its different than the website description. Its closer to the 5" model 2000 in size. I think I'll be happy with it. I can pickup this red dot quicker than I can the BSA panoramic red dot I was using before.

DSCF0374.jpg

Looks good! Take a look into the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit or just the Volquartsen Target Sear. Kind of a PITA to install but it makes a big improvement.

I had been using the 3000 on my High Standard for bullseye for a while and shooting decent scores with it. Just bought another gun but I keep that other setup as a backup. You should have good success with that setup. I actually had an aimpoint 1000 on my mark II i shot before the high standard. Nothing wrong with them. They are a bit heavier and the dot is a little larger and not quite as crisp as new units but keep it in the middle of the black and "squeeze" that trigger back. [wink] Happy shooting. You should enjoy it. Let us know what you think after you shoot it. [smile]

My friend in Buffalo who shoots bullseye at the Master Level uses a 1 MOA dot after trying many different dot diameters. He competes in 900 point matches with a .22 and .45.

Just throwing that out there.

Looks good! Take a look into the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit or just the Volquartsen Target Sear. Kind of a PITA to install but it makes a big improvement.

I found that I'm going to need to pick up a gunsmithing punch set the further I get into customizing this. I have a Volquartsen edge extractor ready to go in but you have to take out a roll pin on the bolt to get it in there. The accurizing kit is likely next on the list after that. I'm sure the punch set will be needed for that install as well.

no need for a special gunsmithing punch set. any standard type of punch set you buy from a hardware/tool place will work fine. I use my standard punches when I pull apart my ruger. Also there is a youtube video about installing the Volq. kit out there and is REALLY a huge help when you do yours. I would suggest checking it out a few times and keeping it on your screen when doing it the first time. I will see if I can find the one I used later if it is still on youtube. Once you have done it once you will be able to do it easily from then on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeh8S0ryi7Y

Last edited:
no need for a special gunsmithing punch set. any standard type of punch set you buy from a hardware/tool place will work fine. I use my standard punches when I pull apart my ruger. Also there is a youtube video about installing the Volq. kit out there and is REALLY a huge help when you do yours. I would suggest checking it out a few times and keeping it on your screen when doing it the first time. I will see if I can find the one I used later if it is still on youtube. Once you have done it once you will be able to do it easily from then on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeh8S0ryi7Y

Thanks, Looks like that will be a handy video that will save a few people from going to a gunsmith with confused look and a bag of parts.

Matchdot Ultradot is awesome. I've used cheap red dots. They are cheap red dots. Don't know specifically about the one you are talking about, but unless you are getting a used one from a trusted source... well... you get what you pay for...

Just to add. Cheap red dots I've used lost zero easily. I recently started bullseye again and after almost 2 years of dragging my pistol around and not paying too much attention to the zero for plinking, it's still dead on with the Ultradot.

Last edited:
You'll be fine with the 4-minute dot. Between my wife and me, we've got 6 UltraDot Matchdots at the moment on various Bullseye guns. The dot size is adjustable to 2,4,6, or 8 MOA, but ours pretty much stay on 4 all the time. Some shooters will use the 2-MOA dot for the slow fire stage and then switch to the 4-MOA dot for the sustained fire stages. I've experimented with that and I don't think it does much for me (I have an NRA Expert classification).

I saw the earlier post about a 1-MOA dot, but personally I can't imagine using a dot that small, particularly in sustained fire, and I don't know of anyone in the leagues I shoot in who's using such a small dot. I also wouldn't know where to go to buy one.

If you decide to upgrade to another scope such as Ultradot or any other reason I'd be interested in the Aimpoint 3000

Kind regards,

M.S.

Back
Top Bottom