Is a 10 round AR15 mag the common convention for hunting?

I picked up a 10 round mag for my AR for the hell of it yesterday. I have plenty of 30 rounders and I live in a free state so I don't really need it. I picked it up because I figured at some point I will try turkey hunting and I'm less likely to spook any hoplophobes if they see me on the side of the road with an AR with a 10 round vs a 30 round. That an if I want to try shooting at the range in a prone position it might be handy. I know the .223 round is known as a varmint round and I was wondering if it makes a good turkey hunting round? I've never been turkey hunting before so I honestly don't know. Is a shotgun more practical for turkey hunting?

Use a shotgun on a turkey. I would hate to see what is left over if one was hit with a .223 round.

You need to be much more worried about the hunting laws in your state than spooking hoplophobes.

You can not hunt in NH with a 10 round magazine:
It is also illegal to hunt with a semi-automatic rifle with a clip or magazine holding more than five cartridges (except .22 cal rimfire rifles and pistols), or use full-jacketed metal case bullets;

Furthermore, it is illegal to hunt turkey with a rifle:
It is unlawful to take turkey with a rifle,

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting_rules.htm

I am mystified as to why you would not have researched the NH hunting laws.

You need to be much more worried about the hunting laws in your state than spooking hoplophobes.

You can not hunt in NH with a 10 round magazine:

Furthermore, it is illegal to hunt turkey with a rifle:

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting_rules.htm

I am mystified as to why you would not have researched the NH hunting laws.

Well to clear up the mystery, I was trying to direct my questions to what was practical for turkey hunting rather than what the laws where. I think Derek's response about there not being much left of a turkey is a good vote against it being practical [laugh]. If the .223 was practical for turkey's than I'd have motivation to try to change the law. Looking at the current laws, the .223 is legal for deer hunting in New Hampshire but the broad opinion on this board is that the .223 is underpowered and not practical for deer hunting.

While on the topic, is there a way to hunt legally with a Garand?

5-round en-bloc clip?

G76acomboclip.jpg

5-rounder is the limit in NYS for hunting, too. I picked up 2 5-round mags for my NES AR for hunting this fall.

Ready for fall, NOW! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom