Interesting test of effectiveness of .22lr at long range

Great Post !!!

That is quite a write up and brings new found respect to the .22lr round for me.

That was a very interesting and informative experiment. I would never have thought a standard .22 would penetrate into the turkey at that range. I wish he had brought some high or hyper velocity (hollow point hunting rounds) along to test, that may have been even more interesting!

Just wanted to point out that this was with pretty "basic" ammunition. The Velocitor will probably give even better results. Also, a new round which strips into 3 pieces. Furthermore, the .17 HMR will do everything the .22 will do and add a couple hundred yards (at least for small game).

some links:
CCI Velocitor Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point Box of 50

The Velocitor lives up to the advertised claims of enhanced energy and loses the finicky nature often observed in earlier hypervelocity rimfire loadings

The .22 Ammunition Trials

With a promise of 1,435 fps at the muzzle for a full 40-grain hollow-point bullet, it looks good!

Last edited:
That's pretty amazing that the .22lr was able to do that at that distance. On top of that it being the standard velocity stuff too.

Maybe the WASR-10 isn't the first rifle I reach for if the SHTF! [smile]

Well, at least the 10/22 now becomes a realistic backup with 30 round pre-ban mags. I knew I'd been storing that .22 ammo for a reason more than just plinking!

Thanks, Pilgrim. Definitely a good read.

Regards,

Bob

That's pretty impressive, thanks for posting. Although it may just be me, my problem would be managing to be that accurate with a Ruger 10/22 (the only 22 rifle I have) at that distance. The groups are nice at 25 yards but quickly falls apart when I put it at 100 yards and use iron sights... holes are all over the paper apparently "randomly". I haven't tried a scope yet at 100 yards but that may help me some. I'd have major trouble hitting a turkey with a 10/22 at 250 yards. In the early stages of learning though!

while it does prove that it can penetrate 3 layers of clothes and a frozen chicken, their are far superior bullets for the job.

its like using a .22lr for concealed carry, sure you can do it, but its no 9mm, .40, 10mm etc.

Lethality is one thing. Stopping power is another.

The .22 can kill with a well placed shot easily, but a shot to a non-vital or less vital area is not going to stop an assailant like a larger caliber might. The assailant might bleed to death, but only after beating your skull in.

Can't a BB kill someone... It is more about shot placement than anything at this point.

gray_duplitron120100.gif

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40400&highlight=effectiveness+.22lr

Excellent article, thanks for the link Kaos116, I hadn't seen it before. That fellow did a fine job and it was nice to see he had the help of his son. I wish he had placed a photo or two of the ammo and he and his son but what the heck, he got the job done nicely anyhow and it was interesting and eyeopening.

My Dad mentioned to me, decades ago, that he had given a rifle and ammo to our relatives in Nova Scotia that had a farm there. They said they could put venison on the table if they had a rifle because deer came right near their back porch and they could get one sitting on their porch, and they did from what I’m told.

It wasn’t for a number of years after Dad had told me the story that we were talking about rifles and he mentioned that the gun he gave them was a 22 caliber. I was bewildered to say the least, having heard that you needed a much more powerful rifle to do the job. He said they harvested at least one deer that fall and had venison through the winter and didn’t have to kill off much of their livestock. I had it in my mind that they probably had to fire ten quick shots into the deer to get it down but now, reading the article, I know they probably didn’t need to. Live and learn.

Sorry my post was a dupe.

What shocked me about the article was the penetration @300 yards.

I have read a few articles about using a .22 for deer hunting. OBVIOUSLY it's not the most humane cartridge to use if your shot isn't that good. But if you can make the shot it will work. With the price of ammo the way it's going, I have been shooting the .22 more and more. Trying to be a better marksman. I am only going to get better the more I pull the trigger. I had kept my targets under 100yds, but I am going to move them out to 200yd and 300yd and see what I can do.

Again, sorry for the dupe. Sometimes I am good at the search function and other times I fail.

Back
Top Bottom