• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting NEW Ammo from CCI

Hi all, I've tested the new CCI Hyper 22 purple stuff. I was really hoping it would run through my LCPII as an alternative to Federal Punch, which does not reliably run through the LCPII.

The Hyper 22 is somewhat comparable to Federal Punch because it's a very light bullet. Punch has an elongated case and I'm quite sure it's stuffed with a bit more powder than your average 22 in order to achieve the >1k velocity out of a 2" barrel. However, the elongated case is the reason Punch doesn't run so well in the LCPII and some other autos.

I was hoping the CCI used a standard case, but unfortunately it does not; it's about the same as the Punch case except brass instead of nickel. It failed so spectacularly in my LCPII that I didn't bother with more than a couple mags in the testing. It failed to feed, extract and eject every 1-2 rounds. Unless I see some gel test results that show the CCI performs better than Punch, I see no reason to swap it out for the Punch in my revolvers (317, 43C). The only suitable use I now see for it might be in a rifle or if the Punch was not available.

If the Aguila Interceptor I got recently doesn't cycle well in autos, then I'll give this a look, but the Interceptor is a 40gr bullet with .22 Mag velocity from a 3 inch revolver.
Interceptor is an excellent, excellent round. I run Interceptor in my LCPII because it runs perfectly and performs well in gel. I'm >500 rounds with zero failures after a couple range tests of the Interceptor. If you can't find Federal Punch or it won't run in your gun, Interceptor is the perfect choice.

Interceptor is an excellent, excellent round. I run Interceptor in my LCPII because it runs perfectly and performs well in gel. I'm >500 rounds with zero failures after a couple range tests of the Interceptor. If you can't find Federal Punch or it won't run in your gun, Interceptor is the perfect choice.
I don't really care for the 30-32 grain hyper velocity .22 stuff, I've never found one that has anything but poor accuracy and from both a pistol and rifle I'd rather have a heavier bullet. Just so happens that both Velocitor and Winchester Hyper Speed shoot very accurately for me, far better than any of the lightweight hyper stuff.

I would never bother with Federal Punch if Aguila Interceptor round nose gets me the minimum penetration, which I have no doubts it does at 1150 fps from a 3 inch barrel.

I was at Sig on Wed and we were shooting some of the CCI Clean in Pink through brand new Ruger PRS rifle in 22 (obviously). We were using that ammo because that is what the marketing rep from Ruger brought with him. At 100 yards the better students taking the class were having no problems grouping about the size of a quarter at 100 yards. This was a class for disabled people so most were shooting from a wheelchair behind tables and using a rifle mounted bipod if that makes any difference.

I wouldn't expect it to.

How does standsrd velocity group with the 457?
depends upon brand. i had a thread about it somewhere here, as i tested 6-8 different ones.
i use now mostly SK long range rifle and tac22.

found the thread.

ps. this is the good stuff, but needs to be found while on sale, otherwise price is not really worth it. i got 2 bricks of it, works very well and will last very long time with a bolt action.

Last edited:
At this point I will not buy any more Winchester Rimfire; even in revolvers it seems to be the least reliable brand of rimfire.

I guess you've never used Remington Thunderbolt (aka Chunderbolt)
The only thing I've ever used that was worse is some Aguilla with super thin brass, it didn't cycle in my semi's, and was dangerous in revolvers because of case head blowouts spewing hot gasses and brass bits out the sides.
The stuff was only safe to use in a bolt action or a Contender.

My RUGER MKIV's pretty much are reliable with ANY .22LR (that's not defective obviously)

I tried a few types of Winchester recently in .22LR and found numerous rounds not seated properly; crooked rounds and many that didn't fire with decent rim strikes.

At this point I will not buy any more Winchester Rimfire; even in revolvers it seems to be the least reliable brand of rimfire.
I've had cycling issues with Winchester rimfire in the past, the occasional dud, but some pistols run it better than others. One thing I notice with Winchester is the accuracy is always good, whether it's bulk 555 or Super X. The velocity with hyper speed is good and it's about 30% less than Velocitor costs.

With discovering how hot Aguila Interceptor is, IDK if I'm still going to buy Hyper Speed and Federal Automatch is pretty warm and shoots well it makes Winchester bulk less appealing.

Yeah the Winchester 333 and 555 round packs are garbage. I also had issues with those M22 1k round packs that Walmart sells/used to sell.
I just avoid all Winchester and Remington 22lr ammo at this point. I run CCI, Aguila, and Federal.

CCI for the 10/22 and Aquila super extra for the P22Q. Of course the 10/22 runs almost everything but the Walther can only handle Aguila super extra or anything over 1400fps like stingers, punch, and varmint rounds. I need to add another 22lr pistol to the rotation anyways.

View attachment 796308

Interesting NEW Ammunition from CCI.
CCI CLEAN-22 HYPER VELOCITY
it's a 31 grain bullet with an advertised velocity of 1550
With a velocity greater than Federal PUNCH .22LR and CCI MiniMags and the fact that it does NOT have a hollow point...
This ammunition just might penetrate deeper than any other .22LR.
I was able to find this at: T.S.USA

**UPDATE** The ammunition arrived, from T.S.USA - Will be testing it out before Friday

https://www.americanhunter.org/content/new-for-2023-cci-clean-22-hyper-velocity/

My wife is limited to a .22LR for defense (due to severe disability). I've always just loaded the 40gr solids in her pistol hoping for a little bit of penetration over velocity.
Winchester tends to s*ck for ammo in general.

The only winchester ammo I shoot is TREE FIDDY LEGEND only because after testing several brands, it consistely gave me the best 5 shot groups. But I will start reloading for it soon.
Interesting how the lines vary. When I used to turkey hunt, I found their turkey ammo to pattern better than other brands.
Hi all, I've tested the new CCI Hyper 22 purple stuff. I was really hoping it would run through my LCPII as an alternative to Federal Punch, which does not reliably run through the LCPII.

The Hyper 22 is somewhat comparable to Federal Punch because it's a very light bullet. Punch has an elongated case and I'm quite sure it's stuffed with a bit more powder than your average 22 in order to achieve the >1k velocity out of a 2" barrel. However, the elongated case is the reason Punch doesn't run so well in the LCPII and some other autos.

I was hoping the CCI used a standard case, but unfortunately it does not; it's about the same as the Punch case except brass instead of nickel. It failed so spectacularly in my LCPII that I didn't bother with more than a couple mags in the testing. It failed to feed, extract and eject every 1-2 rounds. Unless I see some gel test results that show the CCI performs better than Punch, I see no reason to swap it out for the Punch in my revolvers (317, 43C). The only suitable use I now see for it might be in a rifle or if the Punch was not available.

Sounds like the old "Stinger" load. Sounded good on paper - 32gr bullet at higher speed, but I noticed they had a longer case too, and because of that wouldn't always feed reliably in everything.

Sounds like the old "Stinger" load. Sounded good on paper - 32gr bullet at higher speed, but I noticed they had a longer case too, and because of that wouldn't always feed reliably in everything.
Stingers also do not actually perform particularly well in gel with short barreled pistols compared to Federal Punch (29gr, faster) which handily defeats it in comparison, and makes the FBI standard even out of a .22 snub. But yes, I was hoping the CCI Hyper would compare more to the Punch...it's probably somewhere around the Velocitor and Stinger. Haven't seen enough testing data to say if it's more like Velocitor than Stinger but I'd guess it is. Stinger just is not the round everyone hopes it to be unless you are hunting small game.

Back
Top Bottom