Installing A FSB

Tackdriver VillenTactical

Dealer
NES Member
I would like to add a fsb to an AR barrel. From what I have seen, all the traditional FSBs require the taper pins to go through the bottom of the barrel. Is there a traditional FSB that does not require this?

Dave

HERE you go. It has even been Massified of its evil child killing bayo-lug. There might be others but this is the only one that I was aware of.

There are other folding types, but from your post I was guessing this is the one you were looking for. Let me know if you are looking for folding as there are dozens.

There are plenty of gas blocks/sight towers that bolt on. Adding a gas block that uses taper pins is not for the faint of heart (removing and re-installing the same one for a detail strip is no big deal), as these holes are generally drilled through the block and the barrel at the same time. The bolt on gas blocks work great; just be sure to check the screws on a regular basis if you are doing sustained full auto fire. I use these on my ARs, and the they work great - however, I recommend a bit of blue (medium) loctite on the gas adjustment screw (for those models that feature this adjustment).

Loads of choices at http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.6_gs.php.

There are plenty of gas blocks/sight towers that bolt on. Adding a gas block that uses taper pins is not for the faint of heart (removing and re-installing the same one for a detail strip is no big deal), as these holes are generally drilled through the block and the barrel at the same time. The bolt on gas blocks work great; just be sure to check the screws on a regular basis if you are doing sustained full auto fire. I use these on my ARs, and the they work great - however, I recommend a bit of blue (medium) loctite on the gas adjustment screw (for those models that feature this adjustment).
How do you ensure that it is not canted with respect to the upper?

How do you ensure that it is not canted with respect to the upper?

2 36" pieces of drill rod, one laid across the upper receiver rail (or on the cutout for the sight in a carry handle), the other across the ears on the FSB will work quite well. There is at least one company that makes a jig for aligning FSBs as well.

ETA: FAL shown, but you get the idea...

two-rods2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom