• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Indoor Steel match @ Hopkinton Wednesday 1/22/2014

Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association
95 Lumber St, Hopkinton, MA 01748-230
Date: Wednesday 1/22/2014.

Time: 6:00 PM till everyone is out of money or ammo.

Location: HSA Indoor range. Come one, come all. The only requirement is that you are SAFE.

The match: $3.00 per entry; 8 person relays; $6.00 to winner; $3 for second place.

The targets: 8 Inch Plates; 2 side by side racks. Man on man. 8 person elimination "pyramid". Relay winners will get an extra target for subsequent entries.

Equipment: Any safe handgun 38/9MM or larger; semi or revolver. Iron sights only.
If we have enough interest, we will run an "Open" and/or "Revolver" Division relay.

Procedure: Muzzle on table, finger off trigger, Timer/buzzer start. First one to knock down their targets wins.

Safety: IPSC/USPSA - Safety rules, Firearms in holster or "bagged" No handling of firearms other than on the firing line or the safety area.

Come on down and have some fun. Bring lots of ammo. We keep shooting as long as people want to sign up.

Optional dinner afterwards at the Dynasty restaurant down the street. http://www.dynastyhopkinton.com/

More info here. http://www.hopkintonheavyhitters.org/#!plate-matches/c1bp

Last edited:
any rules for spectators? Want to watch a match, but may not want to compete.

Yes, two rules actually.

1. Bring ear/eye protection. Oh yeah, and a handgun.
2. Participate. No one will make fun of you.

You CAN come and just watch but I hate it when that happens. I always offer to loan out my gun and ammo.

This is a VERY low key event and we have new people try it just about every match. The club members are great about making people feel comfortable and welcomed.

For those wondering about what the setup looks like we have a couple of videos on our website...I'll embed one here to save ya the trip [wink]. The poppers under the plate rack serve as handicappers for the fast guys like John there, you only have to think about those when you start winning relays [smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, two rules actually.

1. Bring ear/eye protection. Oh yeah, and a handgun.
2. Participate. No one will make fun of you.

You CAN come and just watch but I hate it when that happens. I always offer to loan out my gun and ammo.

This is a VERY low key event and we have new people try it just about every match. The club members are great about making people feel comfortable and welcomed.

Ya know, I think I can make it down there for a change!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, i was thinking about coming...idk now [wink]

Bring your avatar. [wink]

Ya know, I think I can make it down there for a change!!!

Correction: I will be there.
anim_snoopy.gif

Yeah, i was thinking about coming...idk now [wink]

ha, don't worry about it, even John has a bad run every once in a while [wink]

We usually have multiple heats where at least one shooter needs to reload to clear the rack and even some heats where both shooters reload! My advice to shooters is always the same: Race your own race and don't worry about the other guy. oh, and have fun [thumbsup]

I wish I didn't have to get up so early for work... I'd love to get in on this.

We start at 6:00 and you can shoot a few relays and leave. We are usually cleaned up and heading to the restaurant by 8:30 anyway.

Correction: I will be there.
anim_snoopy.gif

Great! Will you need any loaner equipment? I've got a rusty revolver with a bulged barrel and bent sight you can borrow....... [wink]

We start at 6:00 and you can shoot a few relays and leave. We are usually cleaned up and heading to the restaurant by 8:30 anyway.

Great! Will you need any loaner equipment? I've got a rusty revolver with a bulged barrel and bent sight you can borrow....... [wink]

Bringing my new CZ-75BD with my old pre-ban mags. [wink] I can load 'em to capacity, right? I think I remember which end to point down range...

ok ok. I'm reeeeeally going to try to make it. I did pin n plate all summer with the .22 so hopefully that will help me a bit!
Maybe I'll swing by the range tomorrow and break out the Glock 17, it's been a while since I've used it.

I have the normal Bullseye league on Tuesday so I shouldn't do too bad if I can make it!

I'll be there. Finally got my reloading bench going and all this ammo keeps piling up! Gotta use it somewhere!

Bringing my new CZ-75BD with my old pre-ban mags. [wink] I can load 'em to capacity, right? I think I remember which end to point down range...

In a five plate match if you have to fire more than ten rounds, you have all ready lost. The extra ammo does, however, make for a steady hold and a little less muzzle flip.

PS I'll be there with my high caps too as I need all the help I can get.

10rnds max in the gun gents...6 for revo if we happen to do a revo relay....

And like I said, some heats I've seen both shooters reload so it's not a given that needing more than 10 to knock down 5 means your out; all depends on what kind of night the other guys having ;-)

This sounds just like something I have been Looking for. I just read the forecast and they are calling for some snow. Will you guys call the match if there is to much snow?

This sounds just like something I have been Looking for. I just read the forecast and they are calling for some snow. Will you guys call the match if there is to much snow?

Match will run as planned. If I can get there in my convertible, anyone should be able to get there. [smile]

We had a couple of good snow storms on match night last year but still had a decent turnout.

want to head out there, but couldnt convince my ride/ friends to come. 3 hours by public transport... Probably gonna pass this time.

Glad this wasn't canceled! I'll be there with a friend many of you know and hopefully my wife will tag along too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I don't know what it is about that buzzer that makes me forget how to shoot...it's magical.

Good times guys, thanks for putting it on. I'll be sure to make it to the next one.

-Greg

Had all my shit packed and got stuck at work. Sorry I missed it.

Bummer. We did have a good time and a decent turnout including many new people trying it for the first time. Based on their feedback, I expect to see them back at a future match. Here is a video to give you an idea of how it works.

Watch this space for announcement of next month's match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom