Indian No 4 Mk1

Garys

NES Member
I just received a SMLE from Classic Arms. Listed as collector's grade, the wood is in excellent condition. I won't be able to tell about the metal until I do some more cleaning, but I think it's okay. Dirty, as in greasy, but it looks okay. Same with the bore.

Okay, so here's the weird part. The rifle is marked NO 5 Mk1 ROF with what appears to be a serial number underneath 3/321xxx. It has a screw through the fore end, just in front of the receiver. I think that's a trade mark of the Ishapore rifles, right? The magazine catch is held in with a screw, not a pin as my Savage made rifle.

Overall the machining isn't as refined as my Savage, but it's certainly servicable. Except for the receiver which is excellent.

Anyway, what do I have here?

Gary

You've got an Enfield that was Ishy'ed. Certainly not what i'd expect from what they offered as collector's grade No1 and No4 Enfield's, especially judging by the pics shown on the site. If the bore and crown aren't both mint quality, i'd call for a return and warn others before they fall for the add. Grab some 303 first and see if the bullet passes the muzzle test. By that I mean stick the round into the muzzle and see how far it goes in. A nice tight crown will take the actual bullet a little over 3/4s. If it swallows it close up the brass then its worn.
On the other hand I haven't heard much about No5 Mk1 rifles. I thought the No5 meant a Jungle Carbine. If no one else here chimes in with good news, i'd call Monday and ask for Ben and see what was going on with the add. Who knows, could be a rarity.

Will do. Thanks.

A little more information. I did the muzzle test using live ammo, not a Snap Cap. The bullet portion was 7/8" from tip to where it fit into the case. I slid it in and there was about 1/4" left from the crown to the brass. Essentially, the round stopped sliding in at the point where the bullet stopped tapering. If I understood you correctly, this is about right. The receiver seemsto be pretty close to new and overall, the finish seem very close to complete.

Like you, I understood the No 5 to be the Jungle Carbine. I suppose it's possible that some of them were rebarrelled during a rearsenalling visit. It could stand to have the band screws replaced as the heads are semi stripped, and I think the striker could stand to be replaced. If I decide to keep it, I'll go to the new Numrich site and see if I can find them.

I'm leaning towards keeping it, although if it's a Mickey Mouse job, I'll probably return it. In either case, I'm not working Monday so I'll give Ben a call.

Another edit. I was browsing around over on the Surplusrifle.com forums and I'm not the only one. At least one other guy has returned his rifle because of similar complaints with it. I also noticed, when I held my Savage up to the new rifle that the stock is 3 inches shorter on the new rifle. That, non matching serial number on the barrel, no serial on the bolt, and a bent firing pin. Back it goes!

Gary

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom