• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Included in 4 sales per year?

Chris, ONLY correct if a FTF sale.

You can sell 100 guns to an FFL and they don't count.

You can sell 100 guns out-of-state by shipping to an FFL in other states, they don't count either.

In both of the above cases, you'd still be allowed to sell 4 guns privately in the same calendar year.

Wow, Len - thanks for bringing that up. I just heard that from a dealer yesterday, and I wasn't sure I believed it. Now I do.

Funny how you think you know the law, and try to help others understand it as a firearms instructor, and something like this comes up. I had always understood it was four sales per year, period.

Thank goodness the Mass laws are such a mess.... I have somewhat of an excuse!

Ken,

On the rule of 4/year keep it in mind with the following:

- To differentiate someone who is just selling "some stuff", but not making a business out of it, they set an arbitrary limit of 4 guns/year.

- To sell more, they require that you get licensed as a dealer and meet all the dealer requirements (e.g. zoning, safes, alarm systems, insurance, etc.).

Just as an FYI, there is a very similar law on allowing only x cars/year to be sold privately (I think x=5). After that you need a dealers license. I remember this because as a teenager, my barber's Son was always buying cars, fixing them up and selling them and this was mentioned more than a few times while I was in the barber shop.

Back
Top Bottom