1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

In-ear hearing protection recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by And7, Jan 31, 2019.

1. fishgutzy

fishgutzy

+1 for this.
    I have these from the local dealer. Perfect fit. Great for outdoors or indoors. But I do use muffs with them at the indoor range because some shooters come in with hand cannons.

2. ILikeGlocks

ILikeGlocks NES Member

Only problem I have indoors is when someone is shooting an open gun, otherwise these do it for me. Rifles are another story, but my range doesn't allow them indoors.

fishgutzy likes this.
  3. fishgutzy

fishgutzy

Ditto. Only .22 rifles or other pistol caliber are allowed.
    Was shooting next to a guy with a scoped S&W 456 caliber pistol that he uses for deer hunting. That thing was effing loud.

4. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

I wore my Decibullz yesterday for the first time at Monster Jam. It's not shooting indoors, but they def fit and worked pretty well. Now to get to a range...

5. Waher

Waher NES Member

Word of warning about Decibullz. If you have large ear canals they don't work due to the rubber & foam tips not being capable of getting a tight seal. If standard foam and silicone ear plugs don't work for you, then Decibullz won't.

6. Tim_McD

Tim_McD NES Member

I have these as well, they are excellent for use outside - but going to the indoor range, I have found that the Howard Leight Impact Pros are req'd

7. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

yep. there was a guy (Mike) who also showed up to most/a;; the Cowboy Action Shooting Events as well.

8. weekendracer

weekendracer

Have you guys talked with your insurance company? I have Blue Cross and they just paid for a set of in ear electronic protection/hearing aids. The audiologist did find some bands where I had some hearing loss.

9. Shark_Cage

Shark_Cage NES Member

Hi, do you mind sharing what Mass Eye and Ear charged for the molds? I’m going to them tomorrow to get my ears cast (shooting and headphone sets). The place that’s making them said about $40/mold.

10. bigpick

bigpick NES Member

I paid a total of 136 for the custom molds I had done. They called me two weeks later to pick them up.

Shark_Cage likes this.
  11. whalerman69

whalerman69 NES Member

12. jacksimonton

jacksimonton

I feel very disappointed to read your post. You could have used hearing protection then you never suffer from the hearing issues. I suggest that every hunter to use a custom hearing protection if they want to protect the noise-induced hearing loss. If we lost our hearing then we will be worthless in the world. We cannot do anything properly and people will try to ignore us as well.
    We need to use a custom electronic hearing protection, if we use it then we can save us from any noise-induced hearing loss. I found few websites that provide hearing protection for the hunters. I want to share so that you can look at them and get more information.
    Firearms Safety | Hunting | Shooting | Best Shooting Ear Protection

https://proears.com

13. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

How long did it take you to get yours? Hopefully less than the ~5.5 weeks it took me to get mine.

andrew1220 likes this.
  14. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

About a month but that’s because I just waited until I saw him at the next monthly USPSA match.

Happy feet likes this.
  15. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    Find an Audiologist in your area and have a custom set made. Best $100 I've ever spent. Fit perfect, can wear them all day long. My backups are a Sure Fire set, but I can't keep those in for more than a couple hours tops.

I had a second custom set with the musician filters and those work great too. My favorite on the motorcycle. All the sounds are there, just quieter. Only 25bd on the filters and like 31 on the solid customs.

16. jacksimonton

jacksimonton

I use two best shooting earplugs and bought them from Big Ear Inc. It provides best electronic earplugs for versatile shooters.

17. jacksimonton

jacksimonton

Yahh! I am also like this. Have you any Decibullz, pic please.

18. nstassel

nstassel NES Member

Why are their $1500 plugs better than the new Peltor EEp100 for $150?

19. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

I have Decibullz that I originally purchased for indoor range shooting and they work well. I did have to form them twice to get a good seal. I primarily use them in my wood shop now because they’re as effective but more comfortable than the over-ear style I was using before.