• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In-ear hearing protection recommendations?

What do you like to use for in-ear hearing protection? I normally double up with disposable plugs then use my howard leights, but I cant get a good cheek weld with my new sub2000 so I want to look into some quality protection that won't get in the way. Anyone have recommendations on this?

I snagged a pair of the Axil Bluetooth in ears when they were a kickstarter...waited almost a year for them, but they are very comfortable and work really well. YMMV

**EDIT** I will say the BT audio is not great...a bit tinny for my taste, but the sound protection has been quite good.

I use surefire ep4 outdoors by themselves but wouldn't use just those plugs indoors.
That's part of my issue, I go to an indoor range most of the time and just using the disposables does not leave me feeling confident.

Spent brass always worked great for us in the Corps..haha! Any kind of foam plugs will do but I do recommend some type of ear muff protection over that. Preferably electronic. There is another thread on this.

sorry, the wise ass in me took over....

th

Surprisingly, the cheap memory foam ear plugs can (depending on brand) offer up 33 dB reduction, which is on the high end for sound reduction. That all depends on proper insertion though. Some people have them looking like they will fall out. That isn't doing them any favors. They really have to be inserted for max dB reduction.

That being said, Squib308 just pointed out to me yesterday that humans also conduct sound through their bones (skull), and that's why using just ear plugs isn't great for indoor shooting (which I can confirm). Unfortunately, that means that cans are still the way to go indoors if you want to avoid that type of bone resonance.

Have you thought about padding the shaft to create a higher cheek rest? I think I saw someone put gray pipe insulating foam around their Sub2k for that purpose.

Surprisingly, the cheap memory foam ear plugs can (depending on brand) offer up 33 dB reduction, which is on the high end for sound reduction. That all depends on proper insertion though. Some people have them looking like they will fall out. That isn't doing them any favors. They really have to be inserted for max dB reduction.

That being said, Squib308 just pointed out to me yesterday that humans also conduct sound through their bones (skull), and that's why using just ear plugs isn't great for indoor shooting (which I can confirm). Unfortunately, that means that cans are still the way to go indoors if you want to avoid that type of bone resonance.

Have you thought about padding the shaft to create a higher cheek rest? I think I saw someone put gray pipe insulating foam around their Sub2k for that purpose.
Thanks for the info. I have thought about eventually adding the bolt tube cover from mcarbo to my sub2000, but the issue comes from the low iron sights (which are awful). The easiest solution now just seems to suck it up and pay for the red dot mount.

Thanks for the info. I have thought about eventually adding the bolt tube cover from mcarbo to my sub2000, but the issue comes from the low iron sights (which are awful). The easiest solution now just seems to suck it up and pay for the red dot mount.

I have that exact bolt tube cover from Mcarbo on my Subbie. Doesn't really add all that much height to the cheek rest area. I also had a red dot on quick release. While it is much easier to shoot with the red dot, I was torn about adding it. the more stuff you put on this gun, the further away you get from the original intent of the design of a basic, but serviceable backup carbine that can be stored anywhere due to the folding design. Wtih a Red Lion Precision foreend, I can still collapse the rifle, but the red dot adds significant bulk to the profile, jutting out further than any other part.

I don’t have his name but the guy who does molded ear plugs does a great job. He’s usually at the gun shows.

Crazy Gun Show Hearing Protection Guy. LOL. Good guy but a bit intense. Hahahahahaha.

Those Axil's look cool, but not wait-til-November cool. How do you make money forcing people to wait that long??? Wow.

Spent brass always worked great for us in the Corps..haha! Any kind of foam plugs will do but I do recommend some type of ear muff protection over that. Preferably electronic. There is another thread on this.

Every Army grunt knows cigarette butts are the best field expedient hearing protection.

Brass,friggin Jarheads :D

Last edited:
I gave up trying to use the factory sights on my sub2000. I ponied up and spent the $200 on a red dot and a Midwest Industries sub2000 red dot mount.
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...m-1-piece-pic-top-optic-mount-prod111902.aspx
Brownells has a $10 off + free shipping on $100 orders - it's on their website. Can snag a MI mount for about $90 shipped.

The mount is awesome and still allows the gun to be folded etc.

If you are in MA, this is what I use: EAR SAFETY SYSTEMS

They can be fitted with electronics as well (which I may do because these things work a little too well for me).
I just had a pair of these fitted a couple weeks ago but still haven't received them from Steve yet. I suspect he's been busy - no biggie. Can't wait to try em out.

I tried them but there is a hard plastic nub that goes into your ear. Did not like that.
The cat appears to have stolen one of my custom molded plugs I,have had for years. So I ordered these
https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP0...d+earplugs&dpPl=1&dpID=41EWjwE3fYL&ref=plSrch so far all is good. They fit well and as far as I can tell work as well as my last set.

What do you like to use for in-ear hearing protection? I normally double up with disposable plugs then use my howard leights, but I cant get a good cheek weld with my new sub2000 so I want to look into some quality protection that won't get in the way. Anyone have recommendations on this?
If your hitting your ears on the sub 2000 try holding it higher in your shoulder. Vs all shrugged up and hunched over.

I just had a pair of these fitted a couple weeks ago but still haven't received them from Steve yet. I suspect he's been busy - no biggie. Can't wait to try em out.

In my case, I got the initial molds just before Steve moved & things got a bit mixed up. Honestly, just give him a call if it is going on too long. He's a great guy.

Hmmm. Half a Glock on the XC or the basic set of these earplugs. Tough choice. lol

I hunted over 60 days last year. A lot of it was with suppressed rifles but not always. I'm not putting one of those stupid shotty silencers on my duck gun. I had never spent more than a good pair of Peltor ears in my life for hearing protection. I do a lot of pheasant, duck and goose hunting, I may fire 20 to 30 times a day sometimes and then there are the shots from my partners guns. It takes a toll and my hearing was starting to suffer. I can wear these all day and I forget they are in. Between punk rock, guns and farm equipment I have lost all of the hearing I can afford to lose.

Back
Top Bottom