Implications of lightening M&P trigger?

wheelgun

NES Member
I read everywhere of the horrible 10lb Mass. required M&P pistol trigger. Many if not most people are modifying them, either via the $0.25 do it yourself trigger job, or sending it out to a gunsmith.

Nothing unusual there, it's a pretty common thing to do with Glocks etc.

However, in the case of the M&P I wonder about the implications of doing this, because unlike Glocks etc, the specification of a 10lb pull was apparently (?) specifically mandated for sale of the M&P's in Mass. In other words the AG considers the heavy trigger as a basic safety feature. So are owners at legal risk for reducing the trigger pull on M&P's, even if they just drop it down to something still reasonable like 6-7 lbs?

The MA compliance BS does not apply to joe consumer, so stop worrying
about it. It's a consumer protection reg, like the one that says the dealer
cannot cut the tag off of a mattress. [laugh] It is perfectly legal to take an
M+P and later set it up with a 3.5 or whatever pound trigger if you want.

Of course, then theres the issue of the "ayoob fumes" WRT liability in defensive
shootings and the like, but I take that stuff with a grain of salt at best... IMO
if one gets into a legal situation WRT self defense, in MA... there will be far
bigger issues than how light your trigger was during the incident.

-Mike

I'd be much more concerned about whether I'd satisfied the requirments of Massachusetts' self-defense laws long before I'd ever fret over the various mods I may have done to my gun.

In self-defense situations I've seen, most folks are too quick to whip out their blasters even before they are actually in legitimate fear of immeninent death or grievous bodily harm.

Darius Arbabi
massgunlaw.com

the 10 pound trigger (or one of two alternatives) is required for every new handgun sold in Massachusetts made after the regulations went into effect. Firearms made before that date are exempt from these regulations. They apply to the sale of the handgun by a licensed MA dealer only, so your only concern will be that you cannot resell it through a dealer if the need arises.

The main implication is that you can shoot it better. Everything else is tertiary at best ;-)

I'd be much more concerned about whether I'd satisfied the requirments of Massachusetts' self-defense laws long before I'd ever fret over the various mods I may have done to my gun.

In self-defense situations I've seen, most folks are too quick to whip out their blasters even before they are actually in legitimate fear of immeninent death or grievous bodily harm.

Darius Arbabi
massgunlaw.com

I hope everyone appreciates this fine information... I sure do. Thanks!

Darius Arbabi
massgunlaw.com

AMEN to that !!! Kind of like the look before you walk, be sure of the threat before whipping it out.

Darius you sound like you know the law, is there anything on this yet, can we drop to the 6.5 Lb trigger ??? Or do we have to stay with the Mass 10 Lb ???

The 10 Lb trigger isn't that bad, I couldn't tell much of a difference from the 6.5. I didn't try a 6.5 next to a 10 Lb but I shot the 6.5 alot before I bought one.

AMEN to that !!! Kind of like the look before you walk, be sure of the threat before whipping it out.

Darius you sound like you know the law, is there anything on this yet, can we drop to the 6.5 Lb trigger ??? Or do we have to stay with the Mass 10 Lb ???

The 10 Lb trigger isn't that bad, I couldn't tell much of a difference from the 6.5. I didn't try a 6.5 next to a 10 Lb but I shot the 6.5 alot before I bought one.

I see no issue with that mod, as you are restoring the trigger to factory specification.

Back
Top Bottom