I'm thinking about another AR.

Tackdriver VillenTactical

Dealer
NES Member
I am looking at buying another AR, one specifically made for producing small groups. The one I have in mind is a bit expensive. So I am asking all of you with target/varmint/match etc uppers, what size groups do you get at 100 - 600 yards, who makes your rifle/components and what ammo you shoot your groups with.

Thanks,

Dave

Almost all of the mainstream barrels are rated for around 1 MOA. That translates into 1" groups at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards, etc. The varmint bull barrels are often rated 0.75 MOA for a bit more money. RRA offers some nice ones. I'd say if your're really looking to shoot out to 600 yards it would make sense to look at 24" barrels. But at 100 yards even a 16" can be plenty accurate.

If you're willing to spend even more you can 0.5 MOA, but for me that's a waste of time because even a 1 MOA rifle is better than I can shoot. I think your money is better spent on a scope and more practice ammo [smile]

Last edited:
I hear that link next to the NES banner at the top of the page (white-oak) makes superior products. But just like everything else, be prepared to wait.

I met a guy at the 200 yd range who claimed he won the 1000 yd match at Camp Perry. I didn't know they shot the .223 at 1000 yds. He said he re barreled his rifle with a Krieger barrel every year. For ammo he used Federal Gold Medal Match out to 600 yds and his own handloads for ranged beyond 600. I don't know if he was telling the truth but he was shooting offhand and all his shots went into the 10 ring.Pretty hard to fake that.

That was probably Scott Anzivino. If so it's all true. It's not particularly easy to get an AR to shoot well at 1000 yards but it can be done.

B

Back
Top Bottom