I'm looking for a small revolver with easy/light trigger for wife (arthritis is worse)

GlockJock

NES Member
So my wife's arthritis is getting (much) worse and she's having increasing difficulty with trigger pull...She carries semi-auto (LC9s) but we are also looking for a revolver for her for the nightstand etc (BUT with easy/gentle trigger).

Suggestions?? (PS: we are in MA, if that matters for ridiculous legal reasons)

Thanks in advance for your advice...

So my wife's arthritis is getting (much) worse and she's having increasing difficulty with trigger pull...She carries semi-auto (LC9s) but we are also looking for a revolver for her for the nightstand etc (BUT with easy/gentle trigger).

My experience with older (pre-90s) Smith and Wesson revolvers is that the triggers are impeccable across the board... in single-action, which is an important distinction.

Can she cock the hammer? If not, and she's stuck with double-action pull, it's hard for me to think of any revolver I've fired that will be all that much easier than, say, a 1911-style trigger. I own and shoot older Smith, Colt, Ruger, and Webley revolvers. The key for her on any of them will be to get the hammer back.

Hope she finds a solution. My mom has had horrible arthritis since 1973, and at this point I can't imagine her being safe firing any kind of handgun.

I haven't seen a revolver with a safety on it so it uses a heavier trigger pull I thought? Could be wrong.

You could lighten up a factory trigger I am sure but I would be mindful.

in SA mode, she is going to be far worse with ANY revolver, even one with a trigger job than she would be with almost any Semi auto.

Her choice is to shoot DA, and even then getting the trigger back can be a problem, or to find a good semi with a decent trigger , that she can rack, either for loading, reloading (depending if the slide locks back or not) and "tap rack and roll" if there is a FTF/FTE

Is she having trouble with the trigger on her LC9?

Last edited:
I haven't seen a revolver with a safety on it so it uses a heavier trigger pull I thought? Could be wrong.

Heritage Rough Riders have a safety:

VFDcSHGz9.jpg

But that's because they don't have firing pin transfer bars like Rugers do.
Double action revolvers have heavy triggers (in DA mode), not for safety reasons, but because pulling the trigger also cocks the hammer, so you're fighting the hammer spring. If the hammer spring is too light, it may not fall with enough force to reliably ignite the primer.

Last edited:

Why a small revolver for the night stand? Just curious as to the thought process here. The vast majority of folks use a full size anything for the night stand. Why not just put a full size semi auto in the night stand with an easier trigger.

Fwiw.....Any revolver in da is going to have a long somewhat heavy trigger pull so I'm not sure why you'd even be considering a revolver at all for a woman with arthritis let alone a small one.

Usually, yes. Older revolvers occasionally had them. Webleys are what I know best, and I can think of three totally different models off the top of my noggin that they made with safeties.

They made a postwar .38SW revolver for the Singapore PD that had one. Might be an option. I've fired similar models, and the handling would be great for a woman with arthritis.

Not small, though. You can find them as low as about $500 sometimes.

Depending upon the size of her hand a S&W K frame revolver would work. Gunsmiths that are qualified to smooth/lighten the trigger pull are getting harder to find. However, older Smiths are often possessed of very nice DA trigger pulls. A well used but not abused model 10 with the standard weight barrel is in my opinion a excellent handgun. They used to be common but you will have to shop around now. Finally my advice is to not buy sight unseen. Have her try various pistols first.

I don't understand why you think a revolver is the solution. People with hand problems have trouble with DA, and often have trouble cocking the hammer for SA. Plus, in a stress situation it will be hard to remember to cock the hammer. Third, a weak grip makes it hard to control recoil.

I have had the most success working with people who have arthritis or other hand issues using the Shield EZ in .380. The action is easy to work and the pistol weighs enough that in .380 the recoil is minimal.

So I agree with the other folks who have asked why a revolver if she isn’t having trouble racking the slide? Just about any out of the box revolver in DA will have a heaver trigger pull than a striker fired semi. In SA it will still have a heavier trigger than a SA semi (can’t beat a good 1911 trigger).

Given the above, if you still want a revolver I’m very happy with my LCR in .327 Fed Mag. As a DA only revolver it has a very smooth and “relatively" light trigger pull. On my Lyman gauge it averages a 7.5 pound pull, very smooth with no stacking.

But for comparison, my Greyguns modified P229 that is my EDC has an average DA pull of 6 lbs 5 oz and a SA pull of 2 lbs 6 oz. If it’s only trigger pull that is the issue, I’d go with a good semi over a revolver every time. If it’s racking the slide, I’d look at the EZ Smiths first, since they are specifically design for folks with compromised hand strength.

My experience with older (pre-90s) Smith and Wesson revolvers is that the triggers are impeccable across the board... in single-action, which is an important distinction.

Can she cock the hammer? If not, and she's stuck with double-action pull, it's hard for me to think of any revolver I've fired that will be all that much easier than, say, a 1911-style trigger. I own and shoot older Smith, Colt, Ruger, and Webley revolvers. The key for her on any of them will be to get the hammer back.

Hope she finds a solution. My mom has had horrible arthritis since 1973, and at this point I can't imagine her being safe firing any kind of handgun.
My wife started with a S&W Model 10. She had to cock it for each shot. After a while, even that became too difficult. I then got her a 1911 in 9mm. Worked for a few years.
If she has a problem with hand strength she needs to improve her hand strength. Small guns are harder to operate.
If you have severe arthritis, it's not a matter of hand strength. It's fingers not closing properly, tendons not working properly and so on.
Have you considered the shield EZ?
With a trigger job it could be easier for her to use.
I had my wife try one of these at the range. She could not even fire one shot. Her hands can't work the grip safety and fire the pistol. Maybe if you electrical/duct taped the grip safety...unless yours has better fingers.
I would suggest a Smith and Wesson 642 with a trigger job by a good gunsmith. I got my mom a Ruger .22 revolver and had a very good trigger job done to it. Remember a .22 is better than a hair brush for an old lady with bad arthritus and hands so weak they can't open a peanut butter jar.
Mine is down to using a Browning Buckmark. I bought a TrailLite barrel to put on it and bring it down to a weight she can hold one-handed (missing an elbow in her second arm, so basically one-armed) or a Ruger LCPII in .22LR, although with the curve of her hand/fingers even than can be a little difficult to use. Started her with a Ruger 22/45 Lite, but the grip angle on the Buckmark is better. Just a thought.

Post #17: "The S&W Shield EZ would not be a good choice..."

Post # 18: "The S&W Shield EZ would be a good choice..."
Take her to a range and rent one for her to try out. Some with arthritis can use it. For my wife, no-go due to the grip safety. YMMV. (actually having her try something at the range is probably the best suggestion, yet).

Hammerless SW snub nose, have trigger worked over until your happy.
Arthritis sucks, have it in the hips and slowly effecting my hands. The dexterity diminishes with arthritis also

I love NES, truly do, but I would have your wife do as much research herself. It is a lot easier with other ladies. As a jump off point I can recommend contacting "She Equips Herself".

As stated above, shooting either pistol or revolver single action will help. This may help with her slide and thus trigger weight. Stav is local to MA.

Best of luck to your wife. Matt

Back
Top Bottom