IFAK at the range

Do you carry gunshot First Aid kit on you when you go to the range?

• Yes

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 45.0%

• Total voters
A buddy went to a GOAL medical training class. He now insists that I carry a gunshot first aid kit at the range. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with one at the range so I'm curious now: do people carry medical kits with them to the range?

P.S. I think I'd like to take a medical course. Any recommendations for an upcoming class? I'd like to stay inside 495..

I have a good size first aid kit in both my car and truck. Not a gun shot one, but are good enough to treat most problems. The professionals can take over when they arrive if needed.

A tourniquet in your range bag isn't a terrible idea for bare minimum safety precautions. Short money and doesn't take up much space. But if you're talking about indoor ranges, most should have a full medical kit on hand. Ask them where they keep it if it isn't actually mounted to the wall in the stall area. I'm not saying to rely on that, but getting to know where and what is a good idea.

I keep mine in the truck all the time, so it's there with me. Generally when I'm at the range I'm parked only a few yards from the range I am shooting on anyway so it's pretty close.

Mine isn't necessarily on my person, but there's one in my truck, another in my daily backpack, still another in my hiking gear, and have one more in the bin I use for running Pink Pistols events.

Though you don't see them, many folks have one either on their ankle or in their pocket. This doesn't have to be huge - a tourniquet, some gloves and gauze, and a pair of shears don't take up a ton of space.

Yes, if keeping it in my bag counts. Not like you really need that much. 1 or 2 tourniquets, gauze, bandage, and maybe chest seals. Strangers only get a tourniquet. People I know can have me inside them… to pack the wound.

I keep one in my range bag, and also have a tourniquet + israeli bandage in the car.

Most ranges should have a kit nearby the firing line as well.

My range is indoors and I'm usually the only one there. We have a large first aid kit near the entrance next to a telephone to dial 911 on but I also keep a stop the bleed kit and related items with me that never leaves the range bag. I also have a separate kit in the truck.

I remember years ago when Braintree R&P installed large first aid kits at the ranges. People stole the supplies and left them essentially empty.

I carry a few bandaids and that is all. That's all that I've ever needed at a range, thank goodness.

Wow...that's some selfish skin-flint action right there with those people stealing emergency medical supplies.

A buddy went to a GOAL medical training class. He now insists that I carry a gunshot first aid kit at the range. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with one at the range so I'm curious now: do people carry medical kits with them to the range?

P.S. I think I'd like to take a medical course. Any recommendations for an upcoming class? I'd like to stay inside 495..
You never see them because I bet most people just have them in a range bag pocket.

If you are using tools that can quickly put life threatening holes in people, you should have the medical supplies on hand to take care of those holes until you get to any necessary higher level care.

My rifle bag has a simple trauma kit I made using supplies from the office. During range events, the host asks who brought a first aid kit and I'm always the only one raising my hand.

Like almost everyone else here. first aid kit in car. Smaller one in one of my range bags just in case someone else is driving. Have not got to the point on an ankle carry IFAK and hopefully never will.

I have a first aid kit in my truck all the time. I have basic bandaids and such in my range bag, but nothing specific for GSW.

Yes. I'm a paramedic so I carry an IFAK size bag. Just keep it in my range bag. Chest seal, a few tourniquets, bandages, etc. Nothing crazy but enough to help slow bleeding till help arrives.

Back
Top Bottom