• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IFAK at the range

Do you carry gunshot First Aid kit on you when you go to the range?

• Yes

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 45.0%

• Total voters
Not a gunshot kit, but I’ve been carrying the kit I put together, with a few additions, as a first responder since the late 80s. Haven’t kept up the training but figure the basics haven’t changed much.

I tend to carry first aid specifics for the event/activity that I'm going to.

For the range, like I said, I have a tourniquet, Israeli bandage and quick clot as the most serious injury will be shot or stabbed by my screwdriver. Anything less than that I don't care about, I'll treat it when I get home.

For hunting, I add an ACE bandage, as twisting an ankle is a real worry.

For my kid's skate gear, I toss the shot/stab gear and have the ACE bandage, SAM Splint for broken bones, cravats and ice packs.

Fishing, I have my handkerchief for any blood or a hook to the eye.

I tend to try and stay away from people with big first aid kits. Like any tool, they tend to want to use them at any opportunity, and I'm a hard pass on that.

Most shooting ranges I've been to have holes in the roof, holes in the ceiling, holes in the walls, etc., so I think its a good idea to keep some gunshot wound specific first aid items on hand. This could be just throwing some extra items like chest seals in your vehicle first aid kit. I don't think it needs to be on your belt. If it is, then thats great. Mine is in my truck, and I feel good about it.

I also keep a more comprehensive kit in my truck and car. But they still aren’t that big. I typically equate the size of the kit with skill level. Larger the bag, the lower the skill level.
54aefd31054e5_62213b.jpg

I have gorilla tape, a bungee cord, and a plastic shopping bag. Should cover everything, but I'm not using a lot of that tape at a time because it's kind of pricey.
Callsign?

A bit pricey but a very good 1-day course.
I'm not claiming that a pulsing bleed is the time to start reading,
but I have this book in Kindle on my smartphone:

Amazon product ASIN B004WQSM5S

I also have this trade paperback in the tub we take camping:

Amazon product ASIN 0898863317

I tend to try and stay away from people with big first aid kits. Like any tool, they tend to want to use them at any opportunity, and I'm a hard pass on that.
About the best time my first aid kit actually paid off for someone else
was the time we were day-biking on the Vineyard near Edgartown
when some silly little kid biking with his family thought it would be cool
to serpentine on the path. He Death Wobbled down onto the asphalt
in a bloody mess (right by a rest room where they could sluice him off).

It was only band-aids and neosporin his road rash needed,
and that's what he got.

Absolutely but I'm also very comfortable using these products after being in EMS for 10 years. Direct pressure and tourniquets are probably going to be your best bets. Everything else needs "bright lights and cold steel" as my EMT instructor would say.

I usually just have a tourniquet in my bag. I have stuff in the trunk; quick cloth, Israeli bandage, etc. I mostly shoot alone. There is a chance I could pass out out before I make it the 50ft back to my car. The thought runs through my head every time I go. After reading this thread I created a better kit to shove in my bag.

Back
Top Bottom