If you had to use a .22

If you had to use a .22 for coyote hunting what would be your ammo choice? If you had no shotgun suitable for use and no handgun either what would you do? Would you use the fastest .22 round you could find hoping for the penetration or would you go for the heavier round hoping to do as much damage. I realize we have discussed a .22 is not a suitable round for hunting a coyote but if you had no other choice what kind of ammo would you use? I am not looking for further discussion on the fact that it isn't a good enough caliber or discussion of "_____" caliber is better and should be used instead. Just looking for your thoughts on if you had no other choice.

Given that very constrained set of requirements -- CCI Velocitor.

+1

i haven't shot it yet, but i'd want a "faster" round...

the high velocity runs 1235 fps

the velocitor runs 1435 fps according to the box. i picked up some to try out against paper... but haven't had the chance.

That is kind of what I was thinking. The Velocitor is 40 grains at 1435fps or the smaller but faster Stinger 32 grain at 1640fps These were the 2 rounds I was thinking of that lead to this question.

for not much more than the cost of 22 ammo you could probably find yourself a used new england firearms shotgun (less than 100) or borrow one from someone. are rifled barrels allowed in MA?

Lol I knew even with with the original post this was going to come up. I am not in this situation. I don't have any pistol I would use but do have several shotguns. It is a hypothetical situation.

That is kind of what I was thinking. The Velocitor is 40 grains at 1435fps or the smaller but faster Stinger 32 grain at 1640fps These were the 2 rounds I was thinking of that lead to this question.

I've tried both. Accuracy was very loose beyond 50 yards from my Marlin 60? Inside of 50 yards, I'd favor the heavier Velocitor with its greater energy.

I would also tie some bacon around a baby doll and lure them in if thats legal. [rofl2]

How about a cross bow?

I had never given any thought to the crossbow. Great I see this train derailing [laugh]. Now would you still need a crossbow permit even though you aren't deer hunting? Well along with this please answer my original question as well. I imagine even less people have crossbows.

I believe crossbows in Mass require a dr's note saying you aren't able to pull a bow.

I would choose the heavier round and try to wait on the shot as long as possible.

My first knee jerk thought was cc stingers.Knowing that they aren't as accurate as match ammo perhaps slower moving but much more accurate fodder would be the theoretical answer.

if i was going for a head shot, between 50 and 100 yards, i would use the most accurate one i can find, witch is the one i use for target shooting. CCI sub sonic.

but thats just for a head shot, and i dont take head shots.

for body shot, a good combination of heavy and fast. But it would have to be well within the 100 yard range. usually at around 90-100 yards .22 cal bullets go subsonic, and they are not as accurate, and since its already a small bullet, i wouldnt want to wound the animal. and then look for a pissed off wounded coyote.

now, for a close shot in the woods, something like 20 yards away, then go heavy.

60 grain Aguila SSS.

It would be my first choice, if I had ever found anything that shot it at all well. I would like to see someone who has a conversion bolt in a 1-9" or 1-7" AR ammo test the SSS.

So, my real first choice is CCI Velocitor. My 62A and one of the 10-22s like that round.

It would be my first choice, if I had ever found anything that shot it at all well. I would like to see someone who has a conversion bolt in a 1-9" or 1-7" AR ammo test the SSS.

So, my real first choice is CCI Velocitor. My 62A and one of the 10-22s like that round.

If you look over at Rimfire central, There are quite a few members who have built up rifles specifically to stabilize this round, and have reported it to be EXTREMELY accurate.

If you look over at Rimfire central, There are quite a few members who have built up rifles specifically to stabilize this round, and have reported it to be EXTREMELY accurate.
It seems to me that building up a rifle specifically to stabilize SSS in order to shoot coyotes at 100Y is even more wacky than the original question of what 22LR to use on a coyote "if you had to."

It seems to me that building up a rifle specifically to stabilize SSS in order to shoot coyotes at 100Y is even more wacky than the original question of what 22LR to use on a coyote "if you had to."

The rifles that i was speaking of are being built for target use not hunting. Many of the guys at rimfirecentral have taken a great interest in this round and have found it to be one of the most accurate loads out there. I have a few boxes of them and they stabilize fine and do nasty nasty things to fat woodchucks out of my old sears bolt action.

If i remember correctly, rifles with a 20" or longer 1:9 twist barrel stabilize this round perfectly for amazing accuracy. My old $60 22" sears bolt action fits the bill perfectly.

CCI Segmented Hollow Point in 40 GR

It's not an incredibly fast round but a heavy slow moving round tends to do more damage. Think of a .45 vs a 9MM. A segmented HP tends to split apart and cause maximum damage on its way through the target. Just my opinion.

Velocitor, but I would only take the shot if I was absolutely certain I could put it square in the boiler room. I don't consider even the Velocitor humain on anything larger than a cat...woops. Did I say that?!?!?[shocked]

Yep - I've been watching them. Cheapest 1-9" barrel for a 10/22 I've been able to locate was $139, and that wasn't from a company with great accuracy reps - well, if I were a regular coyote hunter I might consider it. Until then, I'll keep bringing a box of SSS to the range, hoping someone, someday, will have something that can shoot it well.

I would say that this is a stupid question, since the .22 lr simply isnt humane for killing an animal this size. If you HAD to use it, then you shouldnt be hunting them. Hunt something that it will kill quickly and without rediculous chance of wounding without a kill.

If hes talking any .22 then I retract my earlier statement, I thought from context he was talking about .22 lr. .22 Hornet is a totally different thing.

No, he's talking 22LR - it's that, shotguns with shot size limitations, or pistols and revolvers no greater than 38 caliber in MA from 1/2 hour after sunset to midnight for coyote.

A very, very stupid regulation...........not that that surprises anyone. It's like MA.gov doesn't want anyone to hunt <looking for my shocked face>.....

Wait, found it.

[shocked]

No, he's talking 22LR - it's that, shotguns with shot size limitations, or pistols and revolvers no greater than 38 caliber in MA from 1/2 hour after sunset to midnight for coyote.
AH. It all becomes clear.

Does "no greater than 38 caliber" include .357 magnum? How about "rifle" rounds in pistols? Because then the "real" answer is a Contender with 14" barrel and an appropriate round.

If you had to use a .22 for coyote hunting what would be your ammo choice? If you had no shotgun suitable for use and no handgun either what would you do? Would you use the fastest .22 round you could find hoping for the penetration or would you go for the heavier round hoping to do as much damage. I realize we have discussed a .22 is not a suitable round for hunting a coyote but if you had no other choice what kind of ammo would you use? I am not looking for further discussion on the fact that it isn't a good enough caliber or discussion of "_____" caliber is better and should be used instead. Just looking for your thoughts on if you had no other choice.

[angry2][slap][rolleyes][angry][sad][crying][sad2]

A very, very stupid regulation...........not that that surprises anyone. It's like MA.gov doesn't want anyone to hunt...

I didn't see that mentioned anywhere. Either do the job right, or don't pull the trigger. Wounding an animal to die a long, slow, agonizing death in the woods goes against "hunting" in the truest sense, where the hunter has respect for his quarry.

Rather than pursue .22 ammo, your time would be more nobly spent submitting a bill to change the law.

Last edited:
I understand it isn't the optimal round for this and it would not be my choice, but with the even more stupid laws in this state some don't have a choice but to use it. The bottom line is it might not be the optimum round but with proper shot placement from a reasonable distance (I would say inside 70 yards) it will get the job done. So if you think its a stupid question keep your 2 cents to your self if you don't have something worth while to contribute. If we didn't have the stupid law I wouldn't have asked the question.

I know some one down on the South Shore who has shot 6 coyotes w/ an .22 LR rifle on his private property. They had eaten his cats. [sad] All were very close shots.

When I was in college at UMASS, a student from Stockbridge school thought it would be funny to bring back a fresh cows head. I looked it and saw the little hole and said ".22" huh? He said, yup - it works great!

While not ideal, the .22 LR will work on coyotes if you are close (inside 50 yds). I rather use my .223 if possible and kiss them farther out. [smile]

FYI: Here is a bit of info for ya

Fish & wildlife service computer models have shown that unless you are able to kill ALL the coyotes in an area that you will never be able to control the populations!! Trying to poison them or shoot them all doesn't work. As long as there is one female and one male left, coyotes WILL be around for a LONG time. Scary, but true.

If you don't want them around then keep your pets INSIDE and don't leave your trash out.

Several winters ago, gal down the street was telling me how she was feeding ham to the coyotes out the window and that her pet cat was batting at it to get to the food first ! [laugh] Miracle that the coyotes only got one of her cats and all the other ones are fine.

Back
Top Bottom