If you had to leave Mass and move north...

There was a kerfuffle (brouhaha?) in my town recently. A retired gentleman I know wrote an op-ed for the town newsletter about racism in America from a white man's perspective. It was kind of rambling and wonky, but his points were nothing that would be out of place in any mainstream conservative website. He made some observations about the Black Lives Matter organization and Democrat politicians that most of the people on this forum would agree with, but lefties certainly wouldn't, like politicians fomenting racial strife for fundraising purposes.

Well, some woman in town made a huge stink about it. She complained to the town and demanded that the they stop funding the newsletter, and apparently went on social media, and also complained to the Union-Leader. The U-L did a front page story where she openly called this guy a racist (spoiler: he's not). The U-L wrote an editorial a few days later noting that there was nothing racist about that op-ed, and that the whole incident was about the left trying to shut down anyone who disagrees with them. In the meantime, the newsletter has locked down their website, and I'm sure it's because of lefty trolls, likely not even from NH.

Aaaaanyway...the newspaper story identified the woman, so I did some poking, and found that she's originally from another state. Wanna guess which one?

So yeah, they're here and they're trying to enforce the same bullshit. Whether they'll succeed is the real question.
Those same people tried killing the town newsletter before the election time as well, they don't like that there's a place folks can write things that they aren't in control of. Nice to see another person in town on here [wave]

We closed on our new house in NH two weeks ago and have accepted an offer on our MA home.

Bought in a great neighborhood with lower taxes compared to surrounding areas. Every person we’ve met so far has been very pro gun, conservative with a live and let live attitude.

NH had had a lot of pro gun / conservative bills pass recently to help preserve liberties.
Also just voted to send the election results to a full audit.

This coming Saturday is when we will move in full time. I can’t wait.

In my opinion, the best neighbors are no neighbors, but that is just me. If, someday, my wife and I decide to move to NH (or Maine) I don't want a neighbor within a 1/4 mile and would want at least 10 acres, preferably much more (I have almost 60 now). I want to be able to shoot in my backyard (like I do now, even though it is MA) and not have some neighbor giving me shit or calling the cops - its pretty convenient to come home from work and do some shooting without have to go to a range.

In my opinion, the best neighbors are no neighbors, but that is just me. If, someday, my wife and I decide to move to NH (or Maine) I don't want a neighbor within a 1/4 mile and would want at least 10 acres, preferably much more (I have almost 60 now). I want to be able to shoot in my backyard (like I do now, even though it is MA) and not have some neighbor giving me shit or calling the cops - its pretty convenient to come home from work and do some shooting without have to go to a range.
Ive been half jokingly saying I want to live on a dirt road thats off of another dirt road for a while now. Just need a little 2-3 bedroom ranch in the middle of as many acres of woods as I can afford.

Ive been half jokingly saying I want to live on a dirt road thats off of another dirt road for a while now. Just need a little 2-3 bedroom ranch in the middle of as many acres of woods as I can afford.

Sounds perfect to me - if I am moving to a state like NH, Maine, etc. that's the spot I am moving to, I am not going to go to all the effort of relocating to have neighbors within view.

YMMV. NH taxes dividends. When I sold my company we paid NH what we paid CT+MA together - times two.
Yes, NH taxes (5%) dividend and interest income, however:
- There is a $7200.00 exemption for couples.
- There is NO tax on retirement income.

Since most of our income is from retirement funds, the amount we had to pay for 2020 to NH was a pittance compared to what we would have paid to MA where everything except Social Security is taxed.

RE taxes are high near the state line, but house values are lower than in many MA towns for a similar property, so I did get some savings.

I find annual car registration/excise tax (they don't call it that) is considerably higher than in MA, however, as is car insurance.

Some personal observations about SE NH people.

- My Wife now has some unknown balance problem and uses a cane. On nice days we take long 1-2 mile walks in our NH neighborhood. One day a woman passed us, then did a U-turn and stopped to ask if we needed a ride home (we didn't). Never in 40+ years in our MA town has anyone stopped and asked if we needed a ride home.
- Every person that we've passed or seen in their yard has waved or come over to talk with us.
- Nobody walking in neighborhoods wears a mask in our NH area.
- We had one of our NH state reps come over our house (mid-COVID) and spend an hour with us explaining the process of how NH laws are made. He and his Wife (also a state rep) are both firearms instructors. He's also friends with another NES'r who is also a NH state rep.

I know our goal is to move to TN in the next 3-5yrs, just depends on how quickly our plans fall into place. I could sell my house here now and buy or build a modest house down there on 10 acres, keep about 125k in my pocket, and pay 1/3 of the property tax, work a lower stress job and still live very comfortably, and live a much happier/lower stress life amongst people that, for the most part, still treat each other like fellow human beings,...man it can't come fast enough.

Take a look at the map (partway down this linked page) and you'll see that the NH border towns are hardly Biden territory.

Republicans took over at the state level, both houses, governor and executive council in this last cycle. Dems did win Federal elections however (not sure by town, but statewide they did win them all).

Take a look at the map (partway down this linked page) and you'll see that the NH border towns are hardly Biden territory.

Republicans took over at the state level, both houses, governor and executive council in this last cycle. Dems did win Federal elections however (not sure by town, but statewide they did win them all).
The republicans lost the big fed races because the NH GOP is f***ing retarded and keeps propping up out of state wannabe establishment candidates. They better knock that shit off.

Besides that, I'd move back into my father's basement in Attleboro before I moved to Texas.

So I would rank TX above MA, but I wouldn't move to either. I've lived in both states FWIW.

separate----
I really don't understand the infatuation with TX on this board. There are shittons of better states with better people, better political situations, better gun laws, and better overall costs.

Massachusetts has a longer black fly season; Overall, mosquitoes are worst near wetlands, that's true everywhere in New England. I dose my driveway drainage with BTI (kills only the larvae of mosquitoes, black flies and a few types of midge), but I'm looking forward to lasers, even if it means wearing sunglasses at night.

The peak hits right around June 1st, but that's why houses have screen porches and men have cigars (and Picaridin)

Myself, I'd be looking AWAY from them, not forward to them. Although a automated turret mounted laser with a guidance system that homes on the sound of a mosquito could be nice...

Some personal observations about SE NH people.

- My Wife now has some unknown balance problem and uses a cane. On nice days we take long 1-2 mile walks in our NH neighborhood. One day a woman passed us, then did a U-turn and stopped to ask if we needed a ride home (we didn't). Never in 40+ years in our MA town has anyone stopped and asked if we needed a ride home.
- Every person that we've passed or seen in their yard has waved or come over to talk with us.
- Nobody walking in neighborhoods wears a mask in our NH area.
- We had one of our NH state reps come over our house (mid-COVID) and spend an hour with us explaining the process of how NH laws are made. He and his Wife (also a state rep) are both firearms instructors. He's also friends with another NES'r who is also a NH state rep.

I'm now a bit west of you and am getting in the habit of automatically waving at passing cars because they (almost) always wave. John actually stopped to talk. He runs the tree farm up the road and invited us to hike there any time. In Mass I had neighbors for 15 - 25 years that I still don't know their name, never mind even recognize them if we met outside the context of the neighborhood. It's so strange seeing people act like human beings again. Good strange, though!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the people. While I can't speak for Maine , I Have been VERY impressed with th NH people.\
I had one time I got my truck stuck in a ditch.
Two vehicles pulled over and helped me get it out . I tried giving the two guy $20 each but they wo9uldn't take it' .
And I wasn't car jacked.
ggboy

it seems nice, right? ya, we just wanted you to leave.

I'm now a bit west of you and am getting in the habit of automatically waving at passing cars because they (almost) always wave. John actually stopped to talk. He runs the tree farm up the road and invited us to hike there any time. In Mass I had neighbors for 15 - 25 years that I still don't know their name, never mind even recognize them if we met outside the context of the neighborhood. It's so strange seeing people act like human beings again. Good strange, though!
Just saw this post and I'll have to share it with my wife. Coming here from the south 10 years ago, it still ticks her off that people are so unfriendly. Yes, exceptions but for sure not the rule. Nice to see your comment as we are considering the Monadnock area in case we stay in the north. Couple years away, hopefully the market won't be stupid then and the politics will maintain the live free status.

Just saw this post and I'll have to share it with my wife. Coming here from the south 10 years ago, it still ticks her off that people are so unfriendly. Yes, exceptions but for sure not the rule. Nice to see your comment as we are considering the Monadnock area in case we stay in the north. Couple years away, hopefully the market won't be stupid then and the politics will maintain the live free status.
When you do, I'll be happy to show you around. I might know my way around by then!

That's high, but no state income tax. We pay ~$11K per year in property tax plus the MA state income tax. If I were to leave MA and stay in New England, definitely would go to NH.

For anyone considering TN, property taxes will be somewhere near 1/3 or less than what they are for the same value in MA depending upon how 'nice' your assessment is. One year our new TN assessment came back high. I called the tax office and got the county assessor. Told him I'd be thrilled to sell my house at their value. He laughed and said let's pull it up in the system, then agreed that the jump was excessive. Right over the phone we agreed on a reasonable assessed value- it was that easy.
11k a year? Holy shit mine are $1400 a year in mass. It's a 960 square foot raised ranch......3 bedroom 1 bath. It ain' posh.....its a basically maintained piece of crap ranch.....but it's my piece of crap.....paid it off when I was 46.

Most of my family and friends that bitch about taxes and mortgage rates......their just over stretching their budget on what they bought. I did the opposite.....wife and I both make good money but we kept the tiny ranch home and made big payments on it during my deployments (mil pay is tax exempt when deployed to combat theater) now we have no mortgage and are pumping the savings and 401k. I'm sure if you look at our income we could afford to buy an 800k house and some land etc.....but f*** that. My house is paid for its fine.

11k a month in taxes on a property....I'd have a f***ing stroke lol....my mortgage all those years was only $870 (including escrow taxes) so your tax bill is more than my total payment was.

My plan is to retire at 58 and a half. 8.5 years left. I can use va for my medical till Medicare kicks in......and my mil pension I cam collect at 58.5 years old. Wouldn't be able to do that with a big mortgage and tax bill

Back
Top Bottom