• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you had to leave Mass and move north...

Look in the southern part of Lancaster County. The northern part, especially Indian Land along 521 is horribly overbuilt. Depending upon what you want, there is a Sun City over 55 development in that area. "Tree Tops" is another over 55 development. You and your wife could spend time counting the single men over 55. ;)

Personally, my wife and I have decided that we don't want anything with a HOA if we can avoid it. Which means heading further south in county and maybe to some of the adjoining counties. Lancaster City has some sketchy spots, but it's getting an influx of new houses and people. Avoid the "downtown" area unless you want to see third world style poverty. Heath Springs and Kershaw are nice, but rural. Van Wyck is rural and has no developments, but land is starting to go.

York County is viable and not far at all, but also getting overbuilt in sections. Rock Hill is nice, but I've been advised to avoid Fort Mill.

You would be lucky if you had me as your neighbor. I already have some ideas, but PM me a few. Looking at being close to Charlotte, NC.

But open to suggestions.

By the way, I think it was a brilliant strategic move from my father that triggered her interest. He will be retiring and moving South to Florida. My brother and niece are down there. My dad said "when are you going to buy a bigger place so family can visit and you can raise a family?" ... and that did it.

I did leave MA and move north. Maine. Loving it. All the toys, none of the hassle. And as far as the tax free state (NH) goes, they get you on the real estate taxes instead.

There is life outside New England. Here in coastal NC (Carteret County), 66+% of the homes are non owner-occupied. Second homes. vacation homes. AirBnBs. Timeshares. Beach houses. you get the idea. Fewer kids in the schools. fewer people using town and county services. I live in a nice 3300+SF house (4BR, 3.5BA) on a half acre that I bought four years ago and could almost double my price if I wanted to sell, but then I'd have to find somewhere else.

Anyway, my town and county taxes combined were under $2500. weekly curbside trash, recycling, and yard waste pickup. underground utilities. every restaurant, store, or hospitals, service you'd need is within ten minutes. Boat ramps. sandy beaches. No snow. relatively gun friendly. Y'all come!

Back
Top Bottom