If you could change 1 thing.

If you could change 1 and only 1 thing about your range, what would it be?

For me, I would change the rule that would allow rapid fire. Currently at my club, the fastest you are allowed to fire, is 1 shot every 2 seconds. Unless you are on the trap field, then you are allowed to fire your second shot at the clay.

How bout' you?

Adam

I would add naked women.... J/K.....maybe [twisted]

I go to a indoor range but I would love to have the chance to shoot some cool objects and blow shit up.

That would be cool..

You know, I always hear about folks in other parts of the country that have a big abandon sand pit where others shoot, and they go there to do the shit that isn't allowed at most ranges... Like shooting at different objects, plinking, bump-fire etc.

I wonder if there is such a place here in MA...

Adam

I would make it allowable to shoot targets that aren't all the way against the end of the range. You can't shoot at any distances shorter than 50' at the indoor range at Riverside.

If I could change TWO things, I'd make the bar non-smoking. That way I wouldn't stink like a cigarette after spending 2 mintues in there - 1 minute to sign in and one to sign out. Have to take a shower and change clothes every time. [evil]

For the outdoor range: I'd like to have a "Plinking" area. No glass and hard to clean up stuff but fun stuff to shoot at. Melons, pumpkins, ya know, different things other than paper targets. Just like when dad used to take us out in the woods and pits.
Indoor range: ability to move targets closer than the 50'

I'll second the plinking. My wife and I spent many days at the
range in upstate NY taking turns breaking clays with .22s. One would
make the first break and the other would have to break the remaining
piece in half, and so on, until you were trying to hit a fragment of
clay the size of a dime at 100 yds. We had fun for hours with a box or two
of cheap ammunition.

F

Come on up to Riverside; You can break clays on the pistol/rifle ranges all day if you want. Ditto for plastic bottles. Just clean up the bottles when you're done shooting.

No glass or tin cans, though.

I have to say, most of this stuff you guys are talking about, we can do at Mansfield.

Mansfied is Class III friendly. So if you have it, you can shoot it. So that means, if you have an AR and want to empty the magazine as fast as you can, you can. Hell, I've done it many time.

We have some railroad ties set up on the 50 yd range like an upside down U so you can use it to plink whatever you want. Just no glass.

I have some steel targets, and I can put them halfway down range if I want and shoot at those. All they ask is that you don't shoot too close to the ground so it doesn't bounce back over the burm.

There's not much that I would like to change at Mansfield other than maybe getting our indoor range finished up...

I need to get back to my sandpit in Maine, I have quite the collection of junk TVs in my basement!

Nothing beats shooting a TV untill there ain't no TV!

As some of you may have read, I've been getting into a bind with accidently buying Steel Core 7.62 Russian ammo....would be nice to be able to touch that stuff off at the club.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I guess if they rebuilt the indoor range (only range) at Boston Gun Club so it was 25 yards instead of 50ft, that would be cool. But then the range would extend under the Red Line, and that might freak people out or something. Also, despite its affiliation with the MBTA, the range doesn't own that land, so that'd sort of be a problem...

Reading the other restrictions people have mentioned, I'm more appreciative of the BGRA than I was before. They don't have restrictions on muzzle velocity, shooting fast or the types of bullets. If I remember correctly, there is a restriction to handguns only, but that wouldn't be a surprise to anyone who saw the range. It's too short to be much of a challenge with a long gun.

You can't shoot at any distances shorter than 50' at the indoor range at Riverside.

Why would a club have this restriction? There must be some lanes where you can shoot at shorter ranges than that, right?

Jeremiah said:
You can't shoot at any distances shorter than 50' at the indoor range at Riverside.

Why would a club have this restriction? There must be some lanes where you can shoot at shorter ranges than that, right?

Nope. My guess is that the Board doesn't trust the shooters to make sure that the targets are still on a line with the backstop. We have target carriers that hang from wires (so you can run them out and back) and the wires sag a bit in the middle.

All it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everyone... I've seen holes in the floor, and holes on the I beams going across the ceiling there. [cry]

That's lame. Sure, any part of the wires/tracks could get hit by a bullet, but it isn't going to happen often, and maintenance/repair should be figured into the cost. The guides at the BGRA have some dings in them from stray bullets. Not every lane, but some.

As for the problem of one idiot ruining it for everyone, you could petition to have a few lanes be redesignated as short-or-long range lanes. Then maintenance costs from misaligned shots would be limited to a few lanes.

I think that they're not worried about the carrier, but if say, the target is, say, close to the line (say 4 yards), then you might be aiming UP at the target... and shoot over the backstop and go through a wall or ceiling.

Indoors - To be able to shoot at 7 yds! Minimum at BR&P is 33' and I fully understand why, but if wishes were horses . . .

Outdoors - A rifle/pistol plinking range where plastic and metal were allowed, steel targets, etc. at random distances would be real nice.

Pilgrim said:
Moderator said:

I go to a indoor range but I would love to have the chance to shoot some cool objects and blow shit up.

You want to shoot some cool naked women ????

no, no, no
I shoot better w/ naked women around

One of the clubs where I'm a member doesn't allow open or concealed carry in the clubhouse, they say it tends to make others nervous! Give me a break...we're talking about a gunclub here. [roll]

They have other bogus rules,but it's their club...ya gotta play by their rules. :?

Moderator said:
Pilgrim said:
Moderator said:

You want to shoot some cool naked women ????

no, no, no

[shock] Wow...your level of concentration must be astounding.

[lol]

MikeD122 said:
One of the clubs where I'm a member doesn't allow open or concealed carry in the clubhouse, they say it tends to make others nervous! Give me a break...we're talking about a gunclub here. [roll]

They have other bogus rules,but it's their club...ya gotta play by their rules. :?

Mike,

It's worth telling all of us which club this is. Many of us wouldn't want to even consider such a club.

Moderator said:

I would hope that they're at least wearing safety glasses and ear muffs...

OH. Sorry. You weren't talking about guns. I get it now. [roll]

Greg said:
We can do pretty much anything we want at Harvard.If I could the only thing I would change is the location,walking distance would be cool :p

Yea, that's one big club. I would join if it wasn't so damn far away. I would love it just for the CAS practicing. You guys have the best setup for cowboy shooting.

I really like MRAs rule for "no rapid fire". "Shoot only so fast as all of your shots are on the paper."

That's all they're trying to prevent with putting time limets between shots (much like driver's Ed teachers asking you to count to 3 at a stop sign)

Unfortunetly it does only take one idiot to runin it for all of us...espeshally here in the Gun-Grabbing Republic.

-Weer'd Beard

There's not much to change with respect to rules at Westford; it all basically boils down to

1) Don't damage any property
2) Don't endanger anyone
3) Clean up after yourself

I'd really like to see the rifle range pushed out beyond the current 100yds, particularly since we've got the land to accomodate 1000m easily, and I'd like to see a pit or completely enclosed handgun area for tactical shooting, as well as a larger indoor range.

Ken

Well, Lens really took the two I would have suggested for BRP.

7 yards would be good, especially for a day when I bring a newbie. It's nice to introduce somebody when they can actually do decent. Much more likely to get them into a sport they think they can be good at. That 12' can make a difference!

Outdoors the ranges are very set. One firing line, set distances, etc. Now, this is very safe and I commend them for that... but it would be cool to be able to set up an IDPA course type thing (technical, I know).

Other than that, BRP is amazing.

If I could change/add one thing to my range ... it would be a 2,000 yrd range with target frames every 500 yrds. for Exxxxxtra long range shooting ... especially the 50BMG. :D

Back
Top Bottom