Public rifle 50-100yd range?

paul73

NES Member
Hi,

I am a member at Holliston MFS and it is working ok for my handgun drills.
I wonder if there is any range that does not require an invitation only membership hurdles to come shoot a .223 rifle, ideally at 100yd or at least 50yd - within 30min drive from holliston-Framingham area?

thx, Paul

I don’t know of any rifle ranges in Massachusetts which are regularly open to the public. The Martin Burns Wildlife area used to allow target practice, but I don’t know the current status of that area. Nor is it within a 30 minute drive for you.

I don’t know of any rifle ranges in Massachusetts which are regularly open to the public. The Martin Burns Wildlife area used to allow target practice, but I don’t know the current status of that area. Nor is it within a 30 minute drive for you.
I see, thx. That`s what i was afraid of. Too bad. MFS plans on adding a rifle range but it's way too far in the future, if gonna happen at all.
Hopkinton and Wayland have clubs - but both are invitation only and I do not know anybody from either. Bummer.

I see, thx. That`s what i was afraid of. Too bad. MFS plans on adding a rifle range but it's way too far in the future, if gonna happen at all.
Hopkinton and Wayland have clubs - but both are invitation only and I do not know anybody from either. Bummer.
The trick to joining a club where "you don't know anyone" is to attend one or more of their public events. Trap/Skeet/a match/etc. That's how you meet members and get a sponsor.

That said, there are quite a few members of both of those clubs here on NES.

just go to the meeting at hopkinton and mingle. someone will sponsor you

Hi,

I wonder if there is any range that does not require an invitation only membership hurdles to come shoot a .223 rifle, ideally at 100yd or at least 50yd - within 30min drive from holliston-Framingham area?

thx, Paul
Easy way to get into a club to shoot rifle is look for clubs hosting cmp/nra or club rifle matches no need for membership
its closer to hour drive but hanson rod and gun has CMP/NRA high power 1st sat and 3rd sunday every month. Very laid back. 60 round round format but you can shoot what ever you like for rifles, $5 for fee and the 4 targets they use.

just go to the meeting at hopkinton and mingle. someone will sponsor you
I got a very nice side conversation with a gentleman from Harvard Sportsman's Club - hopefully will try that first. I would love to see Hopkinton club very much, if someone would invite me :) - but, I am a bit afraid of what is the culture there toward newcomers, after reading their content of the 'written exam' paper they got on their web site - frankly, it is a first time i ever saw a something like that, and with such an emphasis on cleaning trash barrels. an interesting document, indeed, but, makes you think a bit of why it is in there. i guess it was a sore topic when that paper was compiled, go figure...

I got a very nice side conversation with a gentleman from Harvard Sportsman's Club - hopefully will try that first. I would love to see Hopkinton club very much, if someone would invite me :) - but, I am a bit afraid of what is the culture there toward newcomers, after reading their content of the 'written exam' paper they got on their web site - frankly, it is a first time i ever saw a something like that, and with such an emphasis on cleaning trash barrels. an interesting document, indeed, but, makes you think a bit of why it is in there. i guess it was a sore topic when that paper was compiled, go figure...

The written exam was something that never came up at any orientation meeting or anything else. I think it's for you personally to look at and keep in the back your head.
They're very laid back and great people there. They just ask you to be polite and pick up after yourself. Leave it as you found it or slightly cleaner.
But all meetings are via zoom now because of Corona. They tried to go back to in person meetings a few months ago, but like 50+ people showed up to back to back meetings, and given the age of most of the members that go to the meetings.. wasn't great. So online until further notice.

wasn't great. So online until further notice.
Ditto, figures. It`s probably not going to be any better now as we proceed deeper into the winter, so, will see. I hope we will not get into a complete lockdown again... but, whatever will be - will be.

That was what i meant, anyway - to get to any club now, with all social events/meetings pretty much cancelled is, well, problematic.

Last edited:
This meeting by zoom/Skype/whatever. An interesting side effect if covid. How can all the noobs just show up and mingle at a club event that does not exist? Are clubs posting links to these virtual events (rhetorical question)? Oh so gun club memberships are flat at best? A side effect even the most ardent anti gunner would not likely have though of.

To a previous post - I do not think Hopkinton club has any concerns about its membership situation, COVID or not. :) Or will ever. It is a good place with a solid reputation. Poking some fun on its oddities is not a criminal sin. :)
As of noobs to get there - well, it is what it is, thx to 2020.

AND - to anyone who does not like 2020 - i do recommend to watch a new flik called 'Greenland'. At least we did not get that, yet. :)

The written exam was something that never came up at any orientation meeting or anything else. I think it's for you personally to look at and keep in the back your head.
Ruff crew. Underscoring mine.

GENERAL QUESTIONS​

PART I: Only ONE of the answers is correct. You are to circle the letter next to the correct answer.

1. On removing any firearm from your vehicle or when removing firearms from their cases,
pistol box, or container, you should

A. be sure the safety is applied.​
B. check to make sure the gun is unloaded, the action is kept open and if possible, magazine removed.
C. point the firearm is a safe direction and pull the trigger to see if it is empty.​

Hi,

thx, Paul
Springfield Sportsman's Club, it's a bit more of a drive but 400yd rifle range, club owned steel targets on the range, no work requirement or sponsorship crap.

Springfield Sportsman's Club, it's a bit more of a drive but 400yd rifle range, club owned steel targets on the range, no work requirement or sponsorship crap.
well, i do not object to a reasonable amount of 'crap' :), so to say, as most (all?) clubs have it, and it is not a big deal. you do what you got to do.
A sponsorship - yeah, it is an MA thing. too many people, not enough venues, if you are in Middlesex county. nothing much can be done about it.
I bet Springfield is great, but, for me is one hell of a drive. I used to do DE and racing events with SCDA, so, used to driving such distances in a day, tired, but, it is not as much fun anymore as it used to be.

Reading Rifle and Revolver has shoots all winter long. They shoot from inside of a heated building at 200 yards every Sunday starting at 9am I think it is. They also have CMP matches from 200, 300, 500 and 600 yards. If you're going to shoot .223 you CANNOT use 55gr ammo, it must be 69gr or larger to shoot past 300 just an FYI. Check out their website, www.readingrifleclub.com and www.readinghighpower.com for more information on these and other matches you might be interested in...

I'm in the same boat, but with Reading and Woburn. I lived in Reading almost my entire life and I still have managed to not know any members

Reading Rifle and Revolver has shoots all winter long. They shoot from inside of a heated building at 200 yards every Sunday starting at 9am I think it is. They also have CMP matches from 200, 300, 500 and 600 yards. If you're going to shoot .223 you CANNOT use 55gr ammo, it must be 69gr or larger to shoot past 300 just an FYI. Check out their website, www.readingrifleclub.com and www.readinghighpower.com for more information on these and other matches you might be interested in...

I wish I knew members, I would LOVE to be a member there. spent my whole life living in Reading but still don't know any

I drive about an hour to Manchester Firing Line in NH. It’s a pretty easy commute and although the range goes out to 20 yards it’s convenient if you’re in between ranges/waiting to commit to one range. You can also bring a guest and rent firearms there which is a fun time.

I wish I knew members, I would LOVE to be a member there. spent my whole life living in Reading but still don't know any
Show up at a couple of events and someone will sponsor you. I knew no one there, showed up at a few shoots and once they saw that I knew how to handle a firearm, finding a sponsor was easy. Just checkout the events page and find something that you like... Let me know if I can help.

Skip

Show up at a couple of events and someone will sponsor you. I knew no one there, showed up at a few shoots and once they saw that I knew how to handle a firearm, finding a sponsor was easy. Just checkout the events page and find something that you like... Let me know if I can help.

Skip

I will definitely do that! maybe I'll see ya there sometime, thanks for the advice!

Hi,

thx, Paul
Mansfield gun range has a 50- 100 yard range. They have aboard meeting tonight that you can go to with paperwork filled out to get sponsored and then join the following week at a members. They also have an smaller indoor range.

Back
Top Bottom