If you carry or were to carry a .357 snub, what ammo you choosing?

By snub, I'm talking 5 shot J-frame, LCR etc, not the SP101. By ammo, it's not so much brand, but bullet type and weight and the ammo must be .357, not .38 Special.

Just wondering.

Personally, I would probably pick Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot 125 grain or Winchester 110 grain JHP. I feel the lighter bullets going faster will aid expansion and reduce over-penetration.

Speer Gold Dot, L.E., .38, 125 grain +P, h.p., because the velocity of the L.E., .38 version is 1200 fps.. Very, hot for a .38, but a bit softer than a .357 an a bit easier on the J frame, yet a good, carry bullet. Most 125 grain, .38 +p ammo is around 950 fps. Compare it to the really good, 9mm ammo. You'll be surprised how it compares. At least I was. I'm using it in the new Smith, J frame 60-15.

Last edited:
I'd go with speer gold dot short barrel

And to head this off at the pass.......I know it's only a matter of time before someone says that a short barrel snub using 357 mag gets you no more velocity than 38......you do get more velocity.....alot more......vid below to prove it. Best vid I've seen on the subject.

The question to ask about snub nose 357 is if the additional velicity gained by 357 mag vs 38 (and it is a fair amount more) is worth the loss of control for follow up shots. That's a question that the user needs to determine for themselves by trying them out. Some shooters manage the recoil better than others.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=27wDLjY5JSs&t=13s

Last edited:
357 Mag 125 gr FTX® Critical Defense from Hornady

This is what I use in my LCR. I forget where i saw the review online, but someone had evaluated this specific load in the LCR and it performed very well.

This is what I use. Good compromise between power and shootability.

obviously you should shoot the most effective round you can control and put rounds on target quickly. For some its 38 for some its 357

iipsrv.fcgi

[laugh]

I like the 110 grain, loud with alot of muzzle flash, though I have heard that constant use of 110g eventually destroys the forcing cone. Don't know if that is a myth or truth.

I would still try the liberty defense. It’s 50gr 2000fps. It very low recoil. I find it shoots a little low. And the flash and bang are going to scare the crap out of anybody else around. I don’t know the j frame so I can’t say what it like in that gun.

Speer Short barrel whatever.

Or might concede that Hornady Critical Doody is good too, if they make a load for this type of application, I bet its halfway decent.

The key is not using loads meant for 4" guns, all those do is end up punishing you with blast, recoil and flash and don't increase the velocity much over something like Speer SB...

-Mike

I like the 110 grain, loud with alot of muzzle flash, though I have heard that constant use of 110g eventually destroys the forcing cone. Don't know if that is a myth or truth.
I've heard the same of 125 grain 357. I have a 7 year old sp101 that I shoot a steady diet of 125 grain Remy umc through. The forcing cone is showing some wear. No prob.....I'll send it back to Ruger for a new barrel soon.

Oh yeah 180 grain hard cast lead. Woohoo
On another forum there's been a war between people advocating a 9mm snub over a .357 snub because it appears 9mm has significantly more power than .38 Special, nearly .357 power actually, but way less recoil and blast, but the other side is revolver purists who believe .357 is the way to go and they keep bringing up Buffalo Bore ammo, one in particular keeps touting how he got 1200 fps in his LCR with the 180 grain hardcast.

So, time to unveil the reason I made this topic: I wanted to see what normal/real human beings use or would use in their J frames/LCR .357's. Even if 158 grain or heavier .357 has more energy than a 115 or 124 grain 9mm, how is that better for conceal carrying/EDC?

On another forum there's been a war between people advocating a 9mm snub over a .357 snub because it appears 9mm has significantly more power than .38 Special, nearly .357 power actually, but way less recoil and blast, but the other side is revolver purists who believe .357 is the way to go and they keep bringing up Buffalo Bore ammo, one in particular keeps touting how he got 1200 fps in his LCR with the 180 grain hardcast.

So, time to unveil the reason I made this topic: I wanted to see what normal/real human beings use or would use in their J frames/LCR .357's. Even if 158 grain or heavier .357 has more energy than a 115 or 124 grain 9mm, how is that better for conceal carrying/EDC?
1200 worth a 180 grain projo out of a snub seems a bit of a fib.

I use alot of 125 grain Remy jsp ammo that advertises 1825fps from a 6 inch barrel and I've chronoed them a few times at 1300 to 1350 out of my snub sp101.

I carry my sp101 with 158 grain Hornady 357 mag xtp. I know you said no sp101 in your post but it's all I have to compare. Recoil for me is maneagable....bit for some it may not be. What kind of velocity are the 9mm guys saying they are getting with a 115 grain projo that equals 158 grain 357 mag terminal ballistics?

Can the buffalo bore 180 grainers even fit in the cylinder of a LCR? The bullet is rather long. I've only shot them in a GP100 and DW 715. I know in some guns, it will stick out beyond the cylinder thus not allowing the cylinder to close.

1200 worth a 180 grain projo out of a snub seems a bit of a fib.

I use alot of 125 grain Remy jsp ammo that advertises 1825fps from a 6 inch barrel and I've chronoed them a few times at 1300 to 1350 out of my snub sp101.
It's possible his chronograph out out of calibration or not reading properly, but even if it was 1100 fps, that's still quite powerful with a 180 grain bullet, but whatever the case, I think the 180 grain projectile is being blown way out of proportion. I don't know anyone who would use that for conceal carry in civilization, the bullet would go through someone and endanger people down range.

It's possible his chronograph out out of calibration or not reading properly, but even if it was 1100 fps, that's still quite powerful with a 180 grain bullet, but whatever the case, I think the 180 grain projectile is being blown way out of proportion. I don't know anyone who would use that for conceal carry in civilization, the bullet would go through someone and endanger people down range.
Can't speak for the 180 hard cast lead for concealed carry......I would not do it. But I do load my revolver with then for back woods camping and hiking.

Here is a great vid on 9mm snub wheel guns vs 38 special wheel guns.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eIsy9gg1S58

I carry my sp101 with 158 grain Hornady 357 mag xtp. I know you said no sp101 in your post but it's all I have to compare. Recoil for me is maneagable....bit for some it may not be. What kind of velocity are the 9mm guys saying they are getting with a 115 grain projo that equals 158 grain 357 mag terminal ballistics?
Few people have a 9mm revolver and the data that many are pointing out are from tests Paul Harrell did on youtube.

View: https://youtu.be/eIsy9gg1S58?t=754

In LCR:
Remington 9mm- 1051 fps
Sig Sauer 9mm- 1159 fps

Back
Top Bottom