If you carry or were to carry a .357 snub, what ammo you choosing?

Few people have a 9mm revolver and the data that many are pointing out are from tests Paul Harrell did on youtube.

View: https://youtu.be/eIsy9gg1S58?t=754

In LCR:
Remington 9mm- 1051 fps
Sig Sauer 9mm- 1159 fps

Correct he compared 9mm and 38. He did .ot compare 9mm to 357. I'm having a tough time believing 9mm in a snub is going to be the same energy as 158 grain 357. I'd have to see that compared side by side

Correct he compared 9mm and 38. He did .ot compare 9mm to 357. I'm having a tough time believing 9mm in a snub is going to be the same energy as 158 grain 357. I'd have to see that compared side by side
I'm aware that it was a 9mm vs .38 video, but the 9mm data was what I wanted to convey. 1150 fps is getting up there and I'm not so sure an extra 50 fps with the blast and recoil of .357 in the same size gun is worth it.

Few people have a 9mm revolver and the data that many are pointing out are from tests Paul Harrell did on youtube.

View: https://youtu.be/eIsy9gg1S58?t=754

In LCR:
Remington 9mm- 1051 fps
Sig Sauer 9mm- 1159 fps

I'm aware that it was a 9mm vs .38 video, but the 9mm data was what I wanted to convey. 1150 fps is getting up there and I'm not so sure an extra 50 fps with the blast and recoil of .357 in the same size gun is worth it.
Depends on how you handle the recoil for starters.

But....only 50 fps going from 9mm to 357 mag? I've chronoed my snub at 1300 fps with a 125 grain projo. Lot more energy there.

I'll concede that if your talking only a 50fps gain from 9mm to 357 your probably comparing a 115 grain 9mm and a 158 grain 357. If that's the case your still getting much more terminal ballistics even with only a 50fps gain in velocity. Yes there is much more felt recoil with a 158 grain 357 vs a 115 grain 9mm.......some don't mind it....soms will. That's up to you.

I alternate between HST or Golddot in whatever variant is appropriate. Short barrel in the sub compacts and snubs. Regular in the compacts and fullsize. Running HST Micro in my short barrel 38spl. I’ve also run Golden Saber in 357.

The wife had a 2" Colt Lawman .
She carried Winchester 125 grain JHP in it as I recall.
That thing barked and if she missed the muzzle flash would probably set your ass on fire.

357 Mag 125 gr FTX® Critical Defense® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Since their inception, conventional hollow point pistol bullets have performed well, but have never delivered 100% reliability, especially in self-defense situations. The patented Flex Tip® technology used in Critical Defense® ammunition eliminates the clogging and inconsistency that often plagues hollow point bullets. Hornady® achieved this by using the same tip material used in LEVERevolution® ammunition.

All Critical Defense® ammunition is loaded in nickel-plated cases for increased visibility in low-light situations. Premium low flash propellants deliver proven performance, even in very short-barreled handguns, and won't disrupt your vision. Reliable expansion and dependable terminal performance can be counted on for concealed carry and personal protection.

Last edited:
I see most here would or currently use 125 grain bullets. Here's my shocked face:

th

Super Vel is back with some ammo for the Snubby. Have a box but haven’t tried it out yet.

Interested to see how you like it. I am very interested in giving their 115g 9mm a try. Do you know of a store in the Southern NH area that is stocking it.

I personally keep my m&p 340PD topped off with hollow point 38 special. Don't ask me what brand I don't know. It came from Walmart. I do have 125 grain hollow point .357 mag that I keep on Biancchi strips so I have options. I get the .357 ammo at Minuteman Armory in Templeton. The .357 ammo is about a dollar every time I pull the trigger and .38 is much cheaper to keep a few hundred rounds stocked up at the ready. I look at it as a 'hole is a hole'. If the moment came to put a hole in something or someone endangering my life I want the round that I know I can accurately put where I want it to go. I feel pretty confident that I can accurately handle my snubbie with .38 special.

I have an LCR in .38. Ended up sticking with Hornady Critical Defense. I did mix up some XTP’s on top of an undisclosed amount of Power Pistol, but it left me scared of starting a structure fire if I ever fired it in close quarters...

Smith 360PD with 125Gr Speer Gold Dot Short barrel. Can make golf ball sized groups at 11 yards. J frames take a ton of practice.

When I carried a model 19 with a 2 1/2 “ barrel, I carried 158 jhp. That was over 25 years ago. I know bullet designs have come a long way, but I don’t think it matters much when you’re talking about calibers with that much power.

I’m sure when shooting gelatin the newer designs look more impressive, but I think that’s a distraction from the real consideration.

It been a long time since I studied this, but I don’t think there is a high survival rate for anyone shot with a 357 in a lethal zone, regardless of bullet design.

Dave

Last edited:
I carry a 38, and not a 357, but I carry the Hornady 125gr XTPs. Might be the American Gunner ones, and not Critical Defense, but I don’t remember off the top of my head.

I'd go with speer gold dot short barrel

And to head this off at the pass.......I know it's only a matter of time before someone says that a short barrel snub using 357 mag gets you no more velocity than 38......you do get more velocity.....alot more......vid below to prove it. Best vid I've seen on the subject.

The question to ask about snub nose 357 is if the additional velicity gained by 357 mag vs 38 (and it is a fair amount more) is worth the loss of control for follow up shots. That's a question that the user needs to determine for themselves by trying them out. Some shooters manage the recoil better than others.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=27wDLjY5JSs&t=13s

My goodness, that was a very early Paul Harrell video! Damn near looked like it was from the 80's.

Lot of good choices in this thread.

My 2 cents...

When I had the .357 LCR, I found +P .38's plenty stout and not as jarring as full boat .357's. The .357 LCR is a little heavier than the .38 Spl, and in combo with +P's not at all bad to shoot.

I'm not a terrible shot with pistols in general but I suck with snubbies. I'd be better off with a knife or at distance just throw an empty snubbie at the bad guy. [laugh]

The Super Vel .38+p is a 90 gr. bullet traveling at 1300 fps. While this is a scorching round, I'm thinking that the Speer Gold Dot, L.E. loading, being a 125 gr. bullet traveling at 1200 fps is a better choice. What are your thoughts. I'm curious, because I'm just about to place a order for my Smith, 60-15 ammo. The 60-15 is a J frame .357, but I'm thinking that this Speer, .38 loading, is plenty of bullit.

Last edited:
The Super Vel .38+p is a 90 gr. bullet traveling at 1300 fps. While this is a scorching round, I'm thinking that the Speer Gold Dot, L.E. loading, being a 125 gr. bullet traveling at 1200 fps is a better choice. What are your thoughts. I'm curious, because I'm just about to place a order for my Smith, 60-15 ammo. The 60-15 is a J frame .357, but I'm thinking that this Speer, .38 loading, is plenty of bullit.
90 grain at 1300.....125 at 1200? That's advertised velocity....right? Out of a snub j it will be a bit less.

The Remy green and white box 125 grain 357 mag jhp has advertised velocity on the box of 1800! I chrono it out of my 2 1/4 inch snub ruger at 1300!!!! That Remy green and white box 357 mag is loaded HOT! And its relatively cheap for a jhp. Box of 50 is $3 . If your looking for hot ammo that's a good choice

Last edited:
90 grain at 1300.....125 at 1200? That's advertised velocity....right? Out of a snub j it will be a bit less.

The Remy green and white box 125 grain 357 mag jhp has advertised velocity on the box of 1800! I chrono it out of my 2 1/4 inch snub ruger at 1300!!!! That Remy green and white box 357 mag is loaded HOT! And its relatively cheap for a jhp. Box of 50 is $3 . If your looking for hot ammo that's a good choice

Yes, that's advertised velocity. I certainly suspect that the advertised velocity was achieved with a longer barrel, but the advertised spec. is all that we have to go on initially. Most .38 ammo is advertise between 850 fps and +p at 950 fps., so 1200 fps. for a 125 gr. .38 sounds like a much improved velocity to me. You speak of a .357 here but that's a completely different caliber. I do agree that a 125 gr. 357 with advertised velocity of 1800 fps if pretty darned hot. Where are you buying it for $ 3., for a box of 50? I cant buy components for that.

Yes, that's advertised velocity. I certainly suspect that the advertised velocity was achieved with a longer barrel, but the advertised spec. is all that we have to go on initially. Most .38 ammo is advertise between 850 fps and +p at 950 fps., so 1200 fps. for a 125 gr. .38 sounds like a much improved velocity to me. You speak of a .357 here but that's a completely different caliber. I do agree that a 125 gr. 357 with advertised velocity of 1800 fps if pretty darned hot. Where are you buying it for $ 3., for a box of 50? I cant buy components for that.
Cabellas and bass pro sells the whole line of Remy green and white box. 125 grain 357 jhp is $30 a box of 50. That green and white box comes in 38 spec too but I'm don't recall he advertised velocity

Back
Top Bottom