If you carry or were to carry a .357 snub, what ammo you choosing?

I know.. debates.

My experience with snubbies is limited, but I ended up settling on a SW 637 which I have carried daily since a month after I bought. (I guess 5 years ago)

Ammo of choice is Hornaday CD, but I was quite happy with Speer gold dot short too. I just never seem to be able to find Speer.

The reason for settling for .38spl:

I took the freshly acquired 637 to a range and rented an LCR in .357, 9mm and .38 and alternated through all four.

I drilled for as much time as I could handle for second shot consistency. The .357 was just not good for me.

My drill involved filling 2-3 and leaving 2-3 empty and firing off a full cylinder deliberately.

By the end of the session, I had a good feel for the roll felt confident in two. The LCR in 9mm and the 637. I think the lcr in .38 needed a bit more break in.

I kept the SW 637 and want to acquire a LCR in 9mm one day so it can share ammo with the house full of 9mms.

The trade off of power was worth it to me. I can get 5 on a pie plate at 25 yards with the .38 637, and it seemed more consistent at that range than the 9mm.

With the .357, I had to struggle a lot more with the recoil and was taking almost twice as long to get 5 on a plate. And damn it beat me up.

I asked what .357 ammo you use or would use in a snub, not what .38 you use in your snub .357 or snub .38.

Personally, if I'm going not going to use .357 in a snub revolver (which I'm not) then I'd be better off getting a snub in 9mm vs a .38

I asked what .357 ammo you use or would use in a snub, not what .38 you use in your snub .357 or snub .38.

Personally, if I'm going not going to use .357 in a snub revolver (which I'm not) then I'd be better off getting a snub in 9mm vs a .38

True. If you don't mind moon clips. I think moon clips suck. They bend and break to darned easily, in a pocket.

True. If you don't mind moon clips. I think moon clips suck. They bend and break to darned easily, in a pocket.
Most 9mm revolvers don't require they be used to fire them. I figure carrying it loaded with a moon clip in it so if a reload is needed the cases eject easy, but use a speedloader or speedstrip for the reload. Need more than 10 shots and you have bigger problems than any .38 or .357 revolver can handle.

Back
Top Bottom