If the army switched to Sig where are dirt cheap surplus Berettas?

(1) Figure that the contract was just awarded. It will probably be 5-10 years before they are done transitioning from M9s to the new pistol.

(2) As they are taken out of service, the M9s will probably end up in military storage, somewhere.

(3) From storage, some will get shredded promptly.

(4) Others will sit in storage, either in reserve for future use or until needed for some other US Objective. I bet that some will end up being shipped overseas as foreign military aid. Maybe some others will eventually be loaned out to US LEAs.

(5) Over time more will get shredded.

(6) Steps 4 and 5 will repeat themselves for a while.

With a service life of 25k rounds and several wars going on many are probably too close to retirement to be sold as is due to liability.

That was one reason listed for seeking new firearm was the number of M9s reaching end of life.

With a service life of 25k rounds and several wars going on many are probably too close to retirement to be sold as is due to liability.

That was one reason listed for seeking new firearm was the number of M9s reaching end of life.

Mmm I donno about that.Idont think people use handguns too much in war.I would much rather get army one than LEO

Mmm I donno about that.Idont think people use handguns too much in war.I would much rather get army one than LEO

More that they upped training. Troops do a lot more live fire training then they did in the 90s.

Or so the guys I know who have been in since the 90's tell me.

Surplus M9's would be good support for CMP's mission: supporting marksmanship. Probably most would go into perma-storage within the safes of the collectards, but those sales could provide support $ for marksmanship programs. Given the numbers are probably pretty high, perhaps the prices will stay reasonable- especially if CMP could sell direct. Yeah, I realize transfers would need an FFL...

Would the majority of M9's really be shot anymore than necessary to keep qualified?

The M9s I shot were beat to hell, high mileage, rode hard and put away wet. They would have to be stupid cheap for me to be interested.

Civilians will not see many M9's. Most will be destroyed or be shipped overseas as part of military foreign aid packages. It will take some time to get the Sigs into the inventory too. Things don't happen overnight. The M9 was adopted in 1985 yet I was issued an M1911A1 in 1991. The surplus gun I'd want is an M11 (Sig P228) but that's unlikely too.

JAD's assessment is IMO very accurate. The M9 will be around for quite a while yet especially in combat service support, reserve and NG units.

If I had to characterize the condition of the ones on my old Air Guard base, it'd be a mixed bag.

Qualification pistols - rode hard, put away wet. Cleaned too often by qualifiers who don't really know what they're doing.

SF Squadron - a fair amount of external wear, but otherwise good functional condition.

Fighter Squadron - more troubling external wear than SF, but shot even less. Picture a helmet bag full of Berettas being hand carried on a C-17 for 26 hours. Dropped, stepped on, shoved around the floor, used as a pillow. I had more than one full out flinch hearing that bag hit the floor.

Supply - the mystery pistols in storage in case the entire base was ever activated at the same time. Could be anything from beat to shit to brand new in the box.

Any unit without their head up their ass is going to turn in the worst, first. I'd guess the condition of any potential surplus will depend on how long the Sig transition takes.

The defense industry is funny.

After contract award, there could/will probably be months wasted by a protest. After resolution, assuming SIG still has the contract, there could be 6 months before qualification testing. After successful completion of qual, it could be another 3, 4, 5 months before the first contract delivery.

It could be a year before the first production pistols hit soldier hands. Even if M9s went to CMP, it will be YEARS before enough SIGs are delivered to start phasing out the M9.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They will probably all come up strangely missing somehow and we all know how that goes

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

well, if we're still in afghanistan when they start issuing the new sig pistols, i would expect they will be given to the afghan army so they can have something to toss when they run away.

Sig Sauer Inc., Newington, New Hampshire, was awarded up to $580,217,000 for a firm-fixed-price contract for the Modular Handgun System including handgun, accessories and ammunition to replace the current M9 handgun. Bids were solicited via the Internet with nine received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Jan. 19, 2027. Army Contracting Command, Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-17-D-0016).

Current plans call for the Army to purchase more than 280,000 handguns, according to Program Executive Office Soldier officials. The Army also plans to buy approximately 7,000 sub-compact versions of the handgun.
The other military services participating in the program may order an additional 212,000 systems above the Army quantity.

It'll be years before any surplus M9's exist, if they are ever sold. Don't forget that Uncle Sam is STILL sitting on the surplus 1911's that went out of service in the 1980's!

If the army switched to Sig where are dirt cheap surplus Berettas?
Why would there be surplus Beretta's? Maybe when the Army has 30,000 M11's in stock (WITH ALL THE SPARE PARTS!) they may start issuing them.

Federal petitions to appeal state laws.... surplus M9's ... crackerjack night here on NES... Is there a full moon?

[tinfoil]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom