Ideas for Playing with a PL-880

LittleCalm

NES Member
Dumb title, I know. I bought this little radio and wondering what suggestions folks here might have for a noob who wants to do some air wave surfing, preferably also get my kid into it as well (and off the computer). All suggestions welcome.

A good place to start is to read everything you can find on "Short Wave Listening". Here's a good start: SWLing.com

I'm hoping your kid isn't a teen yet. My son got his ham license at 11 but actively ignored ham radio once he became a teen [laugh].

Hang a map of the world on the wall and stick pins in the various countries you've heard.

Though it's mostly done with the internet, many Hams will still confirm contacts with each other by sending each other post cards called QSL cards. (In Morse code, QSL means I acknowledge the message.) Hams that do QSL cards will do it for SWL people too. The SWL person sends the ham a card listing the date, time and frequency you heard them on. They will likely send you a QSL card back, though it may take weeks or months for them to get around to it. It's kind of cool collecting cards from far away countries. Having a neat looking card and throwing in a self-addressed envelope and a dollar bill or 2 (known as "green stamps") for the postage helps the chances they'll respond.

If you hear a ham call sign, look it up on qrz.com. It will give their address, distance from you and the person may have an "about me" page and say if they mail QSL cards (QSLing "direct"). On a really good day you'll hear people on the far side of the globe.

Also, learn about radio wave propagation. Signals travel differently depending on their frequency, time of day and how active the sun is. Here's a nice intro to the basics. If you are a space geek you'll enjoy learning about this.
Edit: The article talks about frequencies in MHz and wavelength. Divide wavelength into 300 to get approximate MHz: 300/80meter = 3.75MHz.
Hams can get annoying the way they switch between talking in MHz and wavelength.

Rig a wire antenna out a window to a tree. It will make an enormous difference vs. the built in antenna.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Yeah, I figured I need to rig an external antenna as I get no reception with the built-in telescopic antenna. My kid is not a teen yet but video games have a grip on him. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom