I was just caught with my guard down...

On the serious side - you would be amazed what a really pissed off look - and telling somebody that if you have to step out of the car they are going to take a beating will accomplish. Ask the guy where his pregnant wife is - when he hesitates in the least to answer logically and correctly tell him to back the f*** away from your car and go screw himself.

+1.... if you look pissed off I've discovered that often deters
at least the ones looking for the easy marks; they want the guy
thats surprised and hasn't already mentally resolved what they're
trying to do.

-Mike

For cryin' out loud you are a Cambridge resident - your only proper response would be curl up in a ball and cry for somebody - anybody - to come help you. If he still persisted you should have put your hands over your head and screamed something about not wanting to get hurt - then jumped out of the car and handed over the car keys and your wallet. [wink]

On the serious side - you would be amazed what a really pissed off look - and telling somebody that if you have to step out of the car they are going to take a beating will accomplish. Ask the guy where his pregnant wife is - when he hesitates in the least to answer logically and correctly tell him to back the f*** away from your car and go screw himself.
Did he look like he needed a hug? [smile]

Seriously, it sounds like you did fine with what you had. A cell phone call to the police would also have been good. They can then either give the guy and his "trophy wife" a lift to the hospital, or take him on a ride to a different destination.

I carry OC and some kind of a knife on my person wherever possible because my LTC is also neutered. That way I have them with me regardless of the car I'm in.

Someone tries to get into your can and you think you can't pull out your gun that's just crazy. You don't have to point it at him, once he sees it trust me he will find another ride. If he is telling the truth he will be to worried about his wife to call a cop.

Someone tries to get into your can and you think you can't pull out your gun that's just crazy. You don't have to point it at him, once he sees it trust me he will find another ride. If he is telling the truth he will be to worried about his wife to call a cop.

GOAL sponsors a great class called The Art of Concealed Carry. You might want to check it out.

Did he look like he needed a hug? [smile]

Seriously, it sounds like you did fine with what you had. A cell phone call to the police would also have been good. They can then either give the guy and his "trophy wife" a lift to the hospital, or take him on a ride to a different destination.

I carry OC and some kind of a knife on my person wherever possible because my LTC is also neutered. That way I have them with me regardless of the car I'm in.

Yeah... After thinking about it last night... I'm pretty sure I would do what I did last night if it happened again. Except I would have wanted OC on me. (and no, my OC was not left in the car at the repair shop)

The one thing that kept me from going into "combat mode" during the situation was the fact that the doors were locked, and the windows were up. There was really no way for him to hurt me just yet (he had no visible weapon). So I didn't need the "angry mode" as I could have just ignored him and there was nothing for him to do.

What does really get me thinking is what would have happened if my door was unlocked. But of course... that's what everyone does after a situation like that. What if...

I'm going to have to find a way to have OC on my person at all times that isn't bulky... time to see what options are out there... [grin]

...I'm going to have to find a way to have OC on my person at all times that isn't bulky... time to see what options are out there... [grin]
I would not recommend the Spitfire product. I have one. The form factor is decent, but the construction is fragile. It partially broke after ~3 months. Use of the "snap-free key ring" 2 or 3 times caused the case to break around the screw-in cap that contains the key ring and holds in the spray canister. I glued it once but it broke again a month later. I still carry it but not on my key ring.

The only problem with the ASP is that it is almost impossible to deploy inside the car. How about one of the old "Club" steering locks, separated into its component parts? I figure that someone decided to put the finger-grips on the heavier piece for some other reason than to facilitate the locking function. Besides, in the eyes of the law (probably), it is not a "weapon" until it becomes a weapon (i.e., is used as such).

I thought ASP's were illegal here as well....On the issue of The Club, having had lunch with the inventor and his daughter, (smokin hot by the way) in the 1980's, I can tell you that the positioning of the handlebar grips though "not intended to be used as a weapon", was likely no accident either... [wink]

I thought ASP's were illegal here as well....On the issue of The Club, having had lunch with the inventor and his daughter, (smokin hot by the way) in the 1980's, I can tell you that the positioning of the handlebar grips though "not intended to be used as a weapon", was likely no accident either... [wink]

Can someone who knows for sure let me know if batons are illegal in MA. If they're illegal I certainly wouldn't want to have one on me [wink]

Can someone who knows for sure let me know if batons are illegal in MA. If they're illegal I certainly wouldn't want to have one on me [wink]

If you have a LTC you should really be familiar with MGL CH 269s10

To answer your question read this part of the section.

CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE

Chapter 269: Section 10. Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment
(
SNIP-read the law for this part)

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

If you have a LTC you should really be familiar with MGL CH 269s10

To answer your question read this part of the section.

Thank you for the info.

Dictionary.com says a "Billy" is a Police Officer's billy club or baton. So I guess my baton is evil and has to disappear. Oh well. [sad2]

MGL CH 269s10 appears to only prohibit the carrying of such a device on one's person or in a vehicle, not the possession of it. But how much use is something like that if you can't carry it?

That's a pretty big chunk of disinformation there-

You don't have to believe me, but you first try defending yourself with a gun from a car you're driving. Let me know how it goes. If it works out well for you, I'll consider it.

The courts will just claims you're safe in your car with it locked and windows rolled up, and also that you can drive away (once traffic moves).

You don't have to believe me, but you first try defending yourself with a gun from a car you're driving. Let me know how it goes. If it works out well for you, I'll consider it.

The courts will just claims you're safe in your car with it locked and windows rolled up, and also that you can drive away (once traffic moves).

My point was that the mere fact that someone
is in a car does not negate/change the requirements
of lawful self defense. If you're in a car that can't
be moved, and you can't easily get away from the
attacker, I can still forsee scenarios where launching lead
from inside the vehicle would be legally justifiable.

Obviously, in this particular case it's not really relevant as the
altercation didn't even make it to that level.

-Mike

Last edited:
I once took a course on defensive driving in third world countries. One tip was to ALWAYS look anybody that approaches your vehicle in the eye. It lets them know that you are aware of your surroundings and won't be caught off guard. The second tip is to drive with your hands on the steering wheel. If anybody comes too close to your car, lower your right hand like you are reaching for something (while never taking your eyes off of them).

They say it works surprisingly often.

As for what I carry.... I can't carry guns at work and don't want anything bulky that I'll leave behind so I have one of these on me at all times:
http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php

Yeah...the price is the ouch part:
$70 for the utility
http://hideawayknife.com/utilityhak.php
and anywhere from $140 on up for the rest
If you click the "I want one" page it will make you fill out a form and after that you'll see the full price list. They can go up to several hundred dollars if you want a custom titanium model with special anodizing and blah blah blah.

If you liked those, you might also want to check out:

SAFE MAKER SERIES

NIGHTSHADE SERIES

SAFE KEEPERS

Benchmade 175

Keating's Comtech Stinger and Spyderco Chinook

Wild Kats & Dogz Keychains

Wild Cat Keychain

In looking for all these, I found this interesting site:
Don Rearic

Wow, more serious here:
Merc Worx Saraphym

MPU

The CRKT Dogfish neck knife

Similar to the one in earlier post but at a much nicer price:
A.G. Russell Sting & Ringers,

Some interesting stuff here:
COLD STEEL SPECIALTY WEAPONS

Last edited:
I would have picked up the Cell and dialed 911 - this way if they guy is leget - Help is on the way.. If not - Help is also on the way..

Locked doors are a good thing..

Ever see Larry Kings young children on Larry King Live with the wife.. Larry is no spring chicken!!

Um, you were in a car. That's a hell of a weapon. If he tries to get in on the passenger side, put it in reverse and turn the wheel to the left so the car swings into him.

I do like the pepper spray idea otherwise.

Hey...that was me, man !! My wife really was have a baby..she was at Mt auburn hospital. I was in such a hurry that I forgot my wallet so i did not have the $$ for a cab...I was just nervious and in a hurry....

....NOT

Back
Top Bottom