I rage every time I see this scene in Dr. No

Dr. Dent uses a M1911A1 in his attempt to assassinate Bond. After he fails, Bond delivers his famous "That's a Smith & Wesson and you've had your six" line. Only problems are Smith & Wesson did not make a 1911-style semiautomatic pistol at that time and if they had the gun would actually hold 7 rounds.

When Dent shoots at the bed and empties his gun the slide locks back on the empty magazine. Later when he retrieves the gun the slide has mysteriously closed.

Dr. Dent uses a M1911A1 in his attempt to assassinate Bond. After he fails, Bond delivers his famous "That's a Smith & Wesson and you've had your six" line. Only problems are Smith & Wesson did not make a 1911-style semiautomatic pistol at that time and if they had the gun would actually hold 7 rounds.

When Dent shoots at the bed and empties his gun the slide locks back on the empty magazine. Later when he retrieves the gun the slide has mysteriously closed.
Plus Bonds PPK that's actually a PP in the movie becomes an FN that has a quarter turn suppressor mount when the gun has no such barrel on it threaded or otherwise.

That's aside from the usual movie nonsense of the silencer and the massive impact of a .32 rn bullet on a body.

How many firearm errors in one scene can you make?
All part of movie-making history at this point. [laugh] It is stunning to us now to look back at all these blatant errors, but clearly the Brits making the movie at the time (1962) either didn't care or didn't think their audience would notice. The truth is that they didn't have much to work with in terms of props that fit the book and screenplay exactly... so they improvised as best they could... kinda sorta. It's funny now to look back at all the goofs. One of my favorites is still the James Bond photos & poster that shows him holding an air pistol. :)

All part of movie-making history at this point. [laugh] It is stunning to us now to look back at all these blatant errors, but clearly the Brits making the movie at the time (1962) either didn't care or didn't think their audience would notice. The truth is that they didn't have much to work with in terms of props that fit the book and screenplay exactly... so they improvised as best they could... kinda sorta. It's funny now to look back at all the goofs. One of my favorites is still the James Bond photos & poster that shows him holding an air pistol. :)

I figured it was a Colt Woodsman which was silly enough.

Gun mistakes in a Ian Flemming product?? The HELL you say! Next you'll tell me that the original Bourne books are the most accurate representation of firearms in teh history of fiction. LOL

Gun mistakes in a Ian Flemming product?? The HELL you say! Next you'll tell me that the original Bourne books are the most accurate representation of firearms in teh history of fiction. LOL
The Jack Reacher books are full of errors, too, but that author doesn’t give a sh*t.

Mark Greaney who writes the Gray Man novel series said that he made a mistake in the first book about calling a mag a clip and he got a ton of mail about it. He was on Rogan and was talking about how he does a lot of 3 gun and loves going to the range now and learning about firearms.

I can’t watch Bond movies and not cringe at stuff like this. It’s like Hollywood knows nothing about guns. Even in the newest Bond movie, Bond’s GWOT M4 rifle (WHAT YEAR IS IT?!) has an Eotech holo with offset irons (?).

IMG_0065.jpeg

I have to say that even with all the factual errors in the Dr. No scene I still think of it as one of my favorite Bond scenes, Connery is just so cool, sitting in a darkened room passing the time with some solitaire while he waits for Dent. He is so self-confident that when he confronts Dent he takes the time to light up a cigarette (which gives Dent an opportunity to retrieve his gun) before calmly shooting him. After Dent falls Connery pauses and then shoots him again for good measure. The line "that's a Smith and Wesson..." to me is classic. I actually use it at the range where I work when instructing new shooters on a revolver (after they try to keep shooting when the gun is empty).

The Jack Reacher books are full of errors, too, but that author doesn’t give a sh*t.

Mark Greaney who writes the Gray Man novel series said that he made a mistake in the first book about calling a mag a clip and he got a ton of mail about it. He was on Rogan and was talking about how he does a lot of 3 gun and loves going to the range now and learning about firearms.

I can handle an error or two. But Ludlum was reported to be an "excellent gun writer." Then they snick a safety off of a revolver and I lost my mind. LOL. And I think they put 38spl's in a semi-auto. The first original 3 books - it wasn't a TON of errors b/c there isn't a TON of gunplay, but for the amount of words, the # of errors were shocking.

1. Bond swept his own arm when putting the light switch down

2. Dent's gun magically has moved 2 ft close to him from the place he dropped it on the floor. And, it fell on its left side but then it appears on its right side

1. Bond swept his own arm when putting the light switch down

2. Dent's gun magically has moved 2 ft close to him from the place he dropped it on the floor. And, it fell on its left side but then it appears on its right side
I stopped looking at unsafe gun handling in movies before Biden was corrupt.

Plus Bonds PPK that's actually a PP in the movie becomes an FN that has a quarter turn suppressor mount when the gun has no such barrel on it threaded or otherwise.

That's aside from the usual movie nonsense of the silencer and the massive impact of a .32 rn bullet on a body.
Watched any Death Wish movies? Those 32's make MuthaF's breakdance

Kind of like liberal gun control arguments. They don't have to make complete sense. Just enough sense to make libs comfortable with pushing their gun control efforts.

Back
Top Bottom