I need help with AR15 semi-build

Any kind souls willing to help me do the following?

I'd like to buy a DPMS Complete Assembled Forged .223/ 5.56mm Lower Receiver Minus Buttstock at Four Seasons. I'd like to have an ACE Skleton Stock - ARFX installed on to it (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=760499&t=11082005). I don't have the know how or the tools to do this.

If you feel you can help me out and come to the Medford-Maldan or Four Seasons area that would be great.
I have not purchased anything as of yet.

Thank for reading. [grin]

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44157

it's freakin EASY!

go ahead and buy them!

it's freakin EASY!

.....selecting an upper is the hardest part for me so far - aside from getting that damn longer screw

EDIT: simple tools, hex key screw driver bits and maybe a box cutter (for the trick) would work.

It's really easy! unless your mechanically challenged...

*if you can screw in a light bulb, change a video card on desk top computer and swap out a mach III razor, you can do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44157

it's freakin EASY!

go ahead and buy them!

it's freakin EASY!

.....selecting an upper is the hardest part for me so far - aside from getting that damn longer screw

EDIT: simple tools, hex key screw driver bits and maybe a box cutter (for the trick) would work.

It's really easy! unless your mechanically challenged...

*if you can screw in a light bulb, change a video card on desk top computer and swap out a mach III razor, you can do this.

if you can screw in a light bulb CHECK
change a video card on desk top computer DONE THAT A FEW TIMES
swap out a mach III razor CHECK

Looks easy to do. But with me it took about an hour to mount a scope on my AR and almost an hour and a half to change out the handguards.

I am a bit mechanically challenged plus with arthritis in my finger joints things just don't go right for me. [frown]

BTW I just ordered the parts and going to Four Seasons to pick up the lower.

if you can screw in a light bulb CHECK
change a video card on desk top computer DONE THAT A FEW TIMES
swap out a mach III razor CHECK

Looks easy to do. But with me it took about an hour to mount a scope on my AR and almost an hour and a half to change out the handguards.

I am a bit mechanically challenged plus with arthritis in my finger joints things just don't go right for me. [frown]

BTW I just ordered the parts and going to Four Seasons to pick up the lower.

oh, my appologies...

I meant no disrespect or to "talk down" and did NOT even consider manual dexterity (sp) due to arthritis, or any other physical disability. -sorry and I'll keep that in mind before I post in the future.

I used an small 40 pc. "bit driver" set that I paid a whopping $5 for at Pep Boys 8 or 9 years ago. It helped that the screw "driver" itself is ratcheting.. but other than that, pretty easy , pretty painless.

***if you see my notes on my thread, WATCH out if you have pets that like small shiney objects! [laugh]

also, do an inventory of the screws with your ACE stock. I've YET to recevie my longer screw from del ton - I'll probably go to the hardware store and size one up.

BEST OF LUCK.

I'm NOT an expert, this is my first build as well, but if you need "newbie" pointers, let me know. Mine is all done except for the recoil pad and upper

Ok, if its this easy.. how the hell did i buy a buffer tube that doesnt fit ?????

I bought a completely stripped AR lower.. got EVERYTHING in right ( the FIRST TIME) and cant put the rear takedown pin in because ..

A. the retaining ring for the spring wouldnt screw onto the buffer tube, and

B. when i MILLED the notch off to get it over the tubes threads... the damn tube doesnt go far enough to catch the buffer spring retainer.

I bought an olympia arms from midway.

Any ideas here??? i know i need more thread on the buffer to catch the retainer, or i need to come up with a way to get the retainer spring to stay in for the rear take down pin....

Anyone ???

oh, my appologies...

I meant no disrespect or to "talk down" and did NOT even consider manual dexterity (sp) due to arthritis, or any other physical disability. -sorry and I'll keep that in mind before I post in the future.

I used an small 40 pc. "bit driver" set that I paid a whopping $5 for at Pep Boys 8 or 9 years ago. It helped that the screw "driver" itself is ratcheting.. but other than that, pretty easy , pretty painless.

***if you see my notes on my thread, WATCH out if you have pets that like small shiney objects! [laugh]

also, do an inventory of the screws with your ACE stock. I've YET to recevie my longer screw from del ton - I'll probably go to the hardware store and size one up.

BEST OF LUCK.

I'm NOT an expert, this is my first build as well, but if you need "newbie" pointers, let me know. Mine is all done except for the recoil pad and upper

No apologies needed and thanks for the tips! We have 4 parrots who just love shiny objects, LOL!

Ok, if its this easy.. how the hell did i buy a buffer tube that doesnt fit ?????

I bought a completely stripped AR lower.. got EVERYTHING in right ( the FIRST TIME) and cant put the rear takedown pin in because ..

A. the retaining ring for the spring wouldnt screw onto the buffer tube, and

B. when i MILLED the notch off to get it over the tubes threads... the damn tube doesnt go far enough to catch the buffer spring retainer.

I bought an olympia arms from midway.

Any ideas here??? i know i need more thread on the buffer to catch the retainer, or i need to come up with a way to get the retainer spring to stay in for the rear take down pin....

Anyone ???

Well, I'm just going to clarify:

I bought a complete lower, minus butt stock like the OP. I wasn't brave enought to venture into stripped lowers.

Sorry -

My post was about mating an Ace Skeleton Stock to a DPMS lower (complete) w/o butt-stock.

[smile]

I'm sure you can find the answers in the build it yourself thread tho. I saw a pretty good video link on there and I'm almost confident I can do it. Just not now. [laugh]

yeah.. i used that video to build off of... JC.. its EAAASSSYYYYY ... do it.. youll feel great about yourself when your done... BE VERY CAREFUL when putting in the punch pins that hold the bolt catch in... scratches happen EASILY.. me.. i electrical taped all around it and used a pair of pliers to push the pin through... cover the jaws with tape and just clamp it down.. it goes in easier than hitting it with a hammer.

My only issue is that video shows them putting on a collapsable stock, its got the retention ring and all that.. .. looks like im going to have to buy another buffer tube .... that or does anyone know if the buttstock is SUPPOSE to hold the rear takedown pin retaining spring in place???

yeah.. i used that video to build off of... JC.. its EAAASSSYYYYY ... do it.. youll feel great about yourself when your done... BE VERY CAREFUL when putting in the punch pins that hold the bolt catch in... scratches happen EASILY.. me.. i electrical taped all around it and used a pair of pliers to push the pin through... cover the jaws with tape and just clamp it down.. it goes in easier than hitting it with a hammer.

My only issue is that video shows them putting on a collapsable stock, its got the retention ring and all that.. .. looks like im going to have to buy another buffer tube .... that or does anyone know if the buttstock is SUPPOSE to hold the rear takedown pin retaining spring in place???

si

[laugh] hey, I clarified my post. I was NOT advocating nor suggesting "it" being "easy" for an AR Build using a stripped lower.

but anyway,

I know I saw the guy use a box cutter on the video to hold the detention spring down while installing the butt stock.

OP - you started a hell of a thread! [laugh]

The A2/ACE fixed stock acts as the reciever plate on a POS stock. When you slide the stock over the buffer tube it should push right up against the rear take down detent spring just as the plate does in a POS stock.

The A2/ACE fixed stock acts as the reciever plate on a POS stock. When you slide the stock over the buffer tube it should push right up against the rear take down detent spring just as the plate does in a POS stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it

Thanks to all who replied about the install on the ACE stock. It came today and I had it on in about 1/2 hour.

You guys are great with your support and tips.

what are you doing for an upper?

i'm looking at 24" upper to do a target theme... but i don't want a silver barrel.

i just saw a few eye catching products on:

http://www.riflegear.com/c-51-24-uppers.aspx

I think I'm gonna go with something similar. Midway seems to be all sold out!

with the holidays coming, i'm on hold until after New Year's though...

Back
Top Bottom