I know Mass sucks and all but.......

I received an email from the new head of the FRB stating that they have had inquiries about posting licensee info like what happened in NY. Whoever requested it stated that it is part of the public record law. FRB stated that they will not furnish such a list and the only agencies that can receive such listings are Law Enforcement. Guess its kind of a win...

Our former state police colonel Marian McGovern had put up a stink about this some time ago because some other crazy moonbat wanted to publish the info. She basically told them to FOAD. She noted the logistical nightmare of the rise in crime especially firearm theft that could result IIRC.. Plus it's in MGL that you can not publish these records..

It's been part of MGL that the info is confidential since before I got my first LTC in the mid-1970s.

Yes, I do understand that the Glob in the past has attempted to get the info with every intention of publishing it, but was denied due to MGLs prohibiting release of said info.

I agree with everything above....but it kinda sucks to feel like we have to stay hidden or else we become targets. Wouldn't it be great if they posted a list of everyone who DIDN'T have an LTC/FID? Now that would be cool.

I received an email from the new head of the FRB stating that they have had inquiries about posting licensee info like what happened in NY. Whoever requested it stated that it is part of the public record law. FRB stated that they will not furnish such a list and the only agencies that can receive such listings are Law Enforcement. Guess its kind of a win...

IIRC there is some law in MA which protects these records at least at that level of granularity. I think the only thing the state will give anyone is licensing statistics by town.

-Mike

Nothing personal, but why should I pat someone on the back for doing something they are suppose to be doing?

Nothing personal, but why should I pat someone on the back for doing something they are suppose to be doing?
I don't think they were suggesting anyone needs a pat on the back. I read the OP as more pointing out that occasionally Massachusetts gets something right. It's not often, so it's worth mentioning.

Mass is more protective of personal info than most states. Here is the pertinent parts of Ch. 66 S. 10 of MGLs:

(d) The clerk of every city or town shall post, in a conspicuous place in the city or town hall in the vicinity of the clerk's office, a brief printed statement that any citizen may, at his discretion, obtain copies of certain public records from local officials for a fee as provided for in this chapter.
The commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services, the department of criminal justice information services and its agents, servants, and attorneys including the keeper of the records of the firearms records bureau of said department, or any licensing authority, as defined by chapter one hundred and forty shall not disclose any records divulging or tending to divulge the names and addresses of persons who own or possess firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns and ammunition therefor, as defined in said chapter one hundred and forty and names and addresses of persons licensed to carry and/or possess the same to any person, firm, corporation, entity or agency except criminal justice agencies as defined in chapter six and except to the extent such information relates solely to the person making the request and is necessary to the official interests of the entity making the request.
The home address and home telephone number of law enforcement, judicial, prosecutorial, department of youth services, department of social services, department of correction and any other public safety and criminal​
justice system personnel, and of unelected general court personnel, shall not be public records in the custody of the employers of such personnel or the public employee retirement administration commission or any retirement board established under chapter 32 and shall not be disclosed, but such information may be disclosed to an employee organization under chapter 150E, a nonprofit organization for retired public employees under chapter 180 or to a criminal justice agency as defined in section 167 of chapter 6. The name and home address and telephone number of a family member of any such personnel shall not be public records in the custody of the employers of the foregoing persons or the public employee retirement administration commission or any retirement board established under chapter 32 and shall not be disclosed. The home address and telephone number or place of employment or education of victims of adjudicated crimes, of victims of domestic violence and of persons providing or training in family planning services and the name and home address and telephone number, or place of employment or education of a family member of any of the foregoing shall not be public records in the custody of a government agency which maintains records identifying such persons as falling within such categories and shall not be disclosed.

You may also notice that disclose is also prohibited wrt the addresses of LEOs, judicial, prosecutorial, DOC, etc. personnel . . . as well as victims of crime (but done every day by the media!).

I agree with everything above....but it kinda sucks to feel like we have to stay hidden or else we become targets. Wouldn't it be great if they posted a list of everyone who DIDN'T have an LTC/FID? Now that would be cool.

there shouldn't be any lists! its a double edged sword, you post a list of all the gun owners they get robbed for their guns, you post a list of all the houses without guns, they get robbed because their defensless.

there shouldn't be any lists! its a double edged sword, you post a list of all the gun owners they get robbed for their guns, you post a list of all the houses without guns, they get robbed because their defensless.

You mean our founding fathers didn't get out the old quill and ink and write down how much gun powder people had and whether they could own the newest musketloader or keep it loaded and concealed under the bed?

I agree with you Business, why do we need to keep a list? It's partly a control and a means at bringing in more revenue for licenses, etc. Right?

Mass is more protective of personal info than most states. Here is the pertinent parts of Ch. 66 S. 10 of MGLs:

You may also notice that disclose is also prohibited wrt the addresses of LEOs, judicial, prosecutorial, DOC, etc. personnel . . . as well as victims of crime (but done every day by the media!).

They should all get this sent to them as a "gentle reminder" .

If the government issues a license it should be public knowledge. Of course there shouldn't be gun licenses. But arguing for secrecy is anti liberty.

It's not often that we get to say this, but it's good that this is illegal in MA!!

This is the publisher from the Journal news in NY who gives out the names and address of legal Ny gun owners. Here is her info. I have a picture but it is a pdf file
Janet Hasson
3 Gate House Lane
Mamaroneck, NY 10534
After all shouldn't she be published for all to see

I don't think they were suggesting anyone needs a pat on the back. I read the OP as more pointing out that occasionally Massachusetts gets something right. It's not often, so it's worth mentioning.

You are 100% correct and it's a valid point.

Doesn't it strike you though that they don't get things right so much that we actually celebrate mediocrity? Next we'll be celebrating that they dotted an I or crossed a T.

I don't want to take anything away from the original poster at all because it's a good post and we needed to hear it, but the reasoning that we needed to hear it and that we're all wondering when our names are going to be blasted over a news station isn't a major concern, I don't know what is!

It's not just New England either. This stuff is happening everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom