I have no use for this, but I want one.

I can’t talk myself out of a gun so no help here. That said I think you could enjoy that .500 if you planned to reload for it. They are very capable shooters. I’m sure you could spend some time working up so loads to see exactly what it is capable of.

Buy it. Everyone needs a large caliber handgun.

7.5" os the perfect length for those guns, not too heavy, not too light.

As far as reloading, I dont know what kind of data is out there for 7.5".

When I bought my BFR in 45/70, I went for the 10" barrel because there was very little data for shorter barrels.

Talk me out of it.

I've seen one being shot. Funny story.

A friend and I pulled up to shoot at a spot. There were two guys in their sixties or seventies shooting. This was in the summer in NH. One of the guys was wearing full cowboy action regalia. Hat. Boots. Chaps. In NH. In Summer. While shooting. The other one was bare-tiddies shirtless. Both had their own shooting bench that Cowboy Action guy brought.

Cowboy Action guy had one of those revolvers. It made a nice thud but it wasn't massively impressive. Granted, I wasn't shooting it, but it wasn't more impressive than realizing "oh, that's a .500S&W." It got worse.

I eventually started shooting my 16" FAL carbine. This gun has a M4-72 compensator on it, which does make a nice concussive blast. I wasn't paying attention to the old guys, but my friend overheard Cowboy Action .500S&W guy say "that gun's too f-cking loud!" Then, he packed up his shooting bench and went home, leaving his shirtless companion there, who eventually told me that he thought I wasn't shooting an AR "because the mag was straight."

So, if you're over 60, cranky, can't shoot without a shooting bench, inappropriately dressed, and intolerant of others' guns, that .500S&W is for you. Run around shirtless and with chaps and complain about "those damned kids and their loud guns." While ironically owning a large handgun. Otherwise, its a boat anchor gun, just like a Desert Eagle:

Talk me out of a Desert Eagle 44 magnum....

A friend and I pulled up to shoot at a spot. There were two guys in their sixties or seventies shooting. This was in the summer in NH. One of the guys was wearing full cowboy action regalia. Hat. Boots. Chaps. In NH. In Summer. While shooting. The other one was bare-tiddies shirtless. Both had their own shooting bench that Cowboy Action guy brought.

Cowboy Action guy had one of those revolvers. It made a nice thud but it wasn't massively impressive. Granted, I wasn't shooting it, but it wasn't more impressive than realizing "oh, that's a .500S&W." It got worse.

I eventually started shooting my 16" FAL carbine. This gun has a M4-72 compensator on it, which does make a nice concussive blast. I wasn't paying attention to the old guys, but my friend overheard Cowboy Action .500S&W guy say "that gun's too f-cking loud!" Then, he packed up his shooting bench and went home, leaving his shirtless companion there, who eventually told me that he thought I wasn't shooting an AR "because the mag was straight."

So, if you're over 60, cranky, can't shoot without a shooting bench, inappropriately dressed, and intolerant of others' guns, that .500S&W is for you. Run around shirtless and with chaps and complain about "those damned kids and their loud guns." While ironically owning a large handgun. Otherwise, its a boat anchor gun, just like a Desert Eagle:

1609520267297.png

You obviously are a smart, experienced man.

Does that mean we can expect your moob and S&W pics? [laugh]

Its a horribly, horribly impractical gun outside of a few narrow situations like hog hunting in the South or where you have a legitimate concern about having to fend off bears and you actually have the skills to draw and fire that enormous gun and get on target. Some guys like @greencobra mentioned that competitions with handguns like that or more usually T/C Contenders were more common around here, but I can't think of a club doing that in New England now.

If you want one, buy one. None of us can stop you. Its your money.

Exactly [laugh]

I got bored once and bought a s&w 460mag xvr.
It was fun for awhile kept it a few years and shot it here and there and then realized it still didn't have much of a purpose for me and traded it for something I enjoy shooting more.
OP I say go for it and if you decide you don't like it then sell or trade it. They don't lose there value too much and you only live once.

Does that mean we can expect your moob and S&W pics? [laugh]

Its a horribly, horribly impractical gun outside of a few narrow situations like hog hunting in the South or where you have a legitimate concern about having to fend off bears and you actually have the skills to draw and fire that enormous gun and get on target. Some guys like @greencobra mentioned that competitions with handguns like that or more usually T/C Contenders were more common around here, but I can't think of a club doing that in New England now.

If you want one, buy one. None of us can stop you. Its your money.

Exactly [laugh]
Do we all buy things we need?
Some time we buy things for fun.

I am eh~60, and I can shoot 44mag, 50, off hand.
Don’t underestimate old dude.

I am eh~60, and I can shoot 44mag, 50, off hand.
Don’t underestimate old dude.

Take it easy, its a joke. A little humor never killed anyone. Plus, you asked to be talked out of the gun. Objectively, a .500S&W is an expensive gun with very expensive ammo, around $2.00-3.00 per shot. People never shoot expensive guns that use expensive ammo unless they're very serious handloaders - the guns either sit and collect dust or get sold.

Like I said, though, its your money to use as you please.

Yeah sorry, some of us even though we have no money, we desire and own things that are considered a bad idea by some.

Back
Top Bottom