I have a dumb AR-15 related question..

btnh6668

NES Member
I know this will sound dumb but i like to be sure of things before i do something. This is the brush i bought to clean my AR-15

http://www.fortune3.com/COMBATHUNTING.COM/AR_15_M16_M4-AR_15_M_16_M4_Chamber_Brush_223-.html

The end of the brush has much larger bristles than the front. I have only see that on .223 chamber brushes and not on any others. Is there a reason for that? I feel a little uneasy jamming that down the chamber. Sorry if its a dumb question.

I thing it's for cleaning the part where the bolt locks into the chamber. Another NESers will help me with the terminology [wink]

You got it right. Just jam that brush in there along with a nice dose of your favorite cleaning solution, and scrub away. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

One Minor Point Before You Begin

One Minor Point Before You Begin: Do not use a rotating-handle cleaning rod with your chamber brush. When the brush enters the chamber, you must keep rotating it clockwise as you apply forward pressure. A rotating-handle rod will not allow you to do that, and if you jam the brush in straight, you will not be able to pull it straight back unless you put pliers on the rod to rotate it.

Cleaning rods ~10 - 12 inches long with a fixed handle are made specifically for this.

You are off to a good start. Many new AR15 owners only learn about a chamber brush when they have major failure to extract issues. [wink]

i believe that's correctly termed a bore brush. doesn't go down the barrel, just part way and turn to clean the bore.

there is a separate brush to go down the barrel

The larger section is for cleaning what is called the Barrel Extension. This is the larger area that allows the bolt to lock to the rear of the barrel and close the chamber. The smaller section is for cleaning the chamber itself.

This is important because the gunk from the chamber will fall back into the barrel extension and prevent the lugs of the bolt from properly seating and cause either excessive headspace or excessive friction - both of which begin nasty problems.

Back
Top Bottom