I Hate Poser Gun Owners!

I do have to agree with that one guy about quoting liarpedia. It's so full of bad information, that even what's right is hard to believe. Plus, it makes you look like a 'google expert' without any real knowledge.

In the shotgun deer season, a rifled shotgun is still considered a shotgun, as it can be used in said season IIRC.

Yeah, you're talking about C. 131 § 70. C.131 does not specifically define it's terms, but clearly uses different definitions than C.140 because it talks about 'pistols' and 'revolvers' which are not defined in C.140, and it uses the term 'firearm' correctly, in opposition to C.140. But C. 131 § 70, that I mentioned before, specifically calls out shotguns with rifled barrels,and states that the director may specify their use through regulations. So while C.131 doesn't specify them as rifles, it definitely defines them as other than a 'normal' shotgun.

It' reasonably good if the topic has absolutely no political slant to it. Most of the purely technical pages at which I've looked contain accurate information. As soon as there's the slightest bit of politics involved, then the people with strong opinions and nothing better to do with their lives immediately pounce on and remove anything that goes against their opinions (usually revealed to them by the voices).

Ken

That thread just gave me a headache. Ugh....

OK I confess I've shot slugs out of my smooth barrel shotgun. I don't hunt so I don't really care about accuracy. My idea of wild game is an errant milk jug full of water.

You can't let the posers bother you. They're everywhere. Almost every one of us here has lots of specialized knowledge that regular people lack. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop them from thinking they know it all. It's best to ignore them, because they're usually too dumb to argue with.

A while back I went to an outdoor party/bonfire when the subject of guns came up. Someone there knew I was an instructor and asked about the LTC process. An "expert" overheard us and chimed in. I don't remember the exact conversation, but it went something like this:

EXPERT: One of my friends was in the Special Forces and has lots of guns. I go shooting with him all the time. He has a Glock.
ME: Cool. What model?
EXPERT: The pistol. They're really rare. They're banned in this country because they can get through a metal detector.
ME: Is that right?
EXPERT: Yeah. I shot it a couple of times. The bullets are really expensive; they're a special kind of bullet that can't be traced.
ME: Do you watch a lot of TV?​

Little did the guy know that there was a Glock pistol about 4 feet away from him on my hip. I could've argued with the guy, but it was a losing cause. He would've made up some secret special forces voodoo to counteract anything I said.

Now That was funny.

Which is the first sign that this person has never been near classified information in their life. [thinking]

Actually,
This is funny story and true re: secret/ top secret.
My father was working at Douglas in the 60s, as an engineer on a missile project, something having to do with missile/ rocket guidance. Anyways, the people that were working on the thing had a specific clearance, however for whatever reason the part that they were actually working on was a different (higher) clearance level..

Long story short.. They were allowed to engineer, design and put the thing together from scratch. However, they were not actually able (clearance wise) to look at it, see it or be in it's presence..

This went on for several painful weeks during the assembly process until they finally, allowed the team the clearance to have access to it (only while working on it)... About that time the part was finished and they were never allowed to see it again (didn't have clearance)...

Got to love govt red tape!!

You can't let the posers bother you. They're everywhere. Almost every one of us here has lots of specialized knowledge that regular people lack. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop them from thinking they know it all. It's best to ignore them, because they're usually too dumb to argue with.

A while back I went to an outdoor party/bonfire when the subject of guns came up. Someone there knew I was an instructor and asked about the LTC process. An "expert" overheard us and chimed in. I don't remember the exact conversation, but it went something like this:

EXPERT: One of my friends was in the Special Forces and has lots of guns. I go shooting with him all the time. He has a Glock.
ME: Cool. What model?
EXPERT: The pistol. They're really rare. They're banned in this country because they can get through a metal detector.
ME: Is that right?
EXPERT: Yeah. I shot it a couple of times. The bullets are really expensive; they're a special kind of bullet that can't be traced.
ME: Do you watch a lot of TV?​

Little did the guy know that there was a Glock pistol about 4 feet away from him on my hip. I could've argued with the guy, but it was a losing cause. He would've made up some secret special forces voodoo to counteract anything I said.

[laugh] That story is a keeper. I like it too.

Actually,
This is funny story and true re: secret/ top secret.
My father was working at Douglas in the 60s, as an engineer on a missile project, something having to do with missile/ rocket guidance. Anyways, the people that were working on the thing had a specific clearance, however for whatever reason the part that they were actually working on was a different (higher) clearance level..

Long story short.. They were allowed to engineer, design and put the thing together from scratch. However, they were not actually able (clearance wise) to look at it, see it or be in it's presence..

This went on for several painful weeks during the assembly process until they finally, allowed the team the clearance to have access to it (only while working on it)... About that time the part was finished and they were never allowed to see it again (didn't have clearance)...

Got to love govt red tape!!

Ridiculous as it may sound, this is a classic example of compartmentalization, which can serve a useful purpose in safeguarding and protecting classified information. The problem, of course, is that the government has a "one size fits all approach" all too frequently and the incident that you related is an example of that.

Mark L.

That thread just gave me a headache. Ugh....

OK I confess I've shot slugs out of my smooth barrel shotgun. I don't hunt so I don't really care about accuracy. My idea of wild game is an errant milk jug full of water.

There's nothing wrong with that... there are many slugs designed for smooth-bore barrels.

There's nothing wrong with that... there are many slugs designed for smooth-bore barrels.

Yeah I know. There seemed to be such a passionate argument against I thought I'd confess my sins and give a counterpoint.

Yeah I know. There seemed to be such a passionate argument against I thought I'd confess my sins and give a counterpoint.

the argument was against people shooting sabot slugs which are specifically designed for use in rifled slug barrels in smooth bore shotguns, not against people shooting slugs designed for smooth bore shotguns.

Back
Top Bottom