I Had to do it!!!....Best Pizza

None. If I eat wheat I'm sick for two to three days.

And before anyone suggests "gluten-free" or veggie or meatie or whatever...

Pizza is ALL ABOUT THE CRUST. Much in the same way sushi is ALL ABOUT THE RICE. Sushi is RICE WITH GARNISHES. Pizza is CRUST WITH TOPPINGS (or even not, or at least de minimis).

All that said... when I still could eat it, proper New Haven apizza (pronounced ah-BEETZ). It didn't have to be from New Haven per se, as long as it was from the same school.

Here I go again down memory lane. The Dunks in Readville used to be Italia pizza and subs a million years ago. Their pizza was a home run. Two brothers owned it I believe. Heard they couldn’t get along and it ruined the business. Sounds like typical Italian family drama to me . Trust me I’m familiar. 😂

Pizza is ALL ABOUT THE CRUST. Much in the same way sushi is ALL ABOUT THE RICE. Sushi is RICE WITH GARNISHES. Pizza is CRUST WITH TOPPINGS (or even not, or at least de minimis).

All that said... when I still could eat it, proper New Haven apizza (pronounced ah-BEETZ). It didn't have to be from New Haven per se, as long as it was from the same school.
I don’t eat bread or wheat anymore either. I do make some nice crust out of Parmesan cheese and canned chicken. Food for thought.

I don’t eat bread or wheat anymore either. I do make some nice crust out of Parmesan cheese and canned chicken. Food for thought.
There are fine things out there that serve as substitutes. They are still not apizza. MIng Tsai has a mighty fine recipe for soba noodle maki rolls - and you can find soba noodles that are made without wheat (just buckwheat, which isn't wheat despite the name). They're great, and a regular whenever I have to make something for gatherings. Still, they are not sushi, despite being rolled in nori. They're their own thing.

Here I go again down memory lane. The Dunks in Readville used to be Italia pizza and subs a million years ago. Their pizza was a home run. Two brothers owned it I believe. Heard they couldn’t get along and it ruined the business. Sounds like typical Italian family drama to me . Trust me I’m familiar. 😂

I bet anything an elder was involved, passed away, and then it went to pot.

Funny thing: we had two Greek brothers locally that ALMOST drove the family business into the ground. They parted company... and now there are two Greek pizza joints.

Big fan of Anzio's in Northborough (formerly Grafton).

Also just had Antonio's in Amherst recently and was very impressed. Apparently they have a lot of shops across MA.

We tried a place in naples, maine last week called Wooster st. Fantastic pizza and their menu went on and on about new haven apizza. We found our new "pizza night" place for our regular jaunts up that way.

Nicky's Pizza in Lynn

Santarpios is good but wildly overrated, sorry OP.

There used to be a place in Malden called Little Pepina's on Broadway. Closed probably in 2008-09 and was bar-none the best F-ing pizza around. Starting about 6 months before closing the quality suddenly got inconsistent and delivery times became really long. Assuming the owners got old and no one in the family wanted to keep it going. Damn I miss that place.

+1 and their pepperoni is the best. Pamino’s on Walnut st. Lynn; is awesome for killer calzones.

U didn’t tell us your fav??

I got a slice for $2 from a gas station in Maine near Bar Harbor. There was a nice, clean short order pizza shop in the gas station. It was 5:30 in the morning and it had just come out. Scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon. That was pretty good.

I like Ottos in Brookline, they're pretty consistent. Kinda skimpy, though.

I got a slice for $2 from a gas station in Maine near Bar Harbor. There was a nice, clean short order pizza shop in the gas station. It was 5:30 in the morning and it had just come out. Scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon. That was pretty good.

I like Ottos in Brookline, they're pretty consistent. Kinda skimpy, though.
What is it with Maine and gas station pizza. It’s always delicious. There’s a place we go to when visiting some family up there. It’s great

Sure have but don’t like it as much. My father loved it though but only with the sprinkled parm. He hated pizza and cheese but for some reason loved it from them.
It's definitely different. I loved it for years but since I hit my mid 40's their sauce gives me heartburn 🤣

Back
Top Bottom