• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I Had to do it!!!....Best Pizza

Wasn't the first peetz a Margherita???? Red sauce, mozzarella cheese, basil leaves????

Again, I'm gonna have to try it, but if 99% of Americans have mozzarella cheese on their pizza, it's gonna be hard to say "this is the best in the country" when no one else is doing it. Just sayin. If it was that good, Dominos and Peetzer-Hutt would be getting in on the thing.

The internet says today's pizza originated in Naples in the 1700s:

These early pizzas consumed by Naples’ poor featured the tasty garnishes beloved today, such as tomatoes, cheese, oil, anchovies and garlic.

The margherita (named after Queen Margherita) originated in Naples in 1889.

The variety the queen enjoyed most was called pizza mozzarella, a pie topped with soft white cheese, red tomatoes and green basil. (Perhaps it was no coincidence that her favorite pie featured the colors of the Italian flag.) From then on, the story goes, that particular topping combination was dubbed pizza Margherita.

Anyone ever tried Carabbas Italian Grill Pizza ?

Some went out or business, many discontinued the Pizza. Still offer pizza in the Florida stores... it was out of this world.
My favorite was the Italian Chicken Pizza with a sweet sauce
1000017175.jpg

They also made a chicken Bryan pizza
1000017177.jpg

And an excellent margarita Pizza
1000017180.jpg

Second rumor: The Wing was bought by someone who is going to turn it into a restaurant / pastry shop!
No pizza will = blasphemy!
The Red Wing was purchased for 1.35 million and it is being converted into a BBQ joint. It will be owned and run by an owner that is already well established inside the Stewart Gardner Museum. I can't get beyond the paywall so below is the best I can do.

The Patriot Ledger

·

A Milton couple who run Café G at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum now own the closed Red Wing Diner in Walpole.
Goodbye, Red Wing, and hello, Blondie's. Sale closes on popular dining spot near Gillette

PATRIOTLEDGER.COM
Goodbye, Red Wing, and hello, Blondie's. Sale closes on popular dining spot near Gillette
A Milton couple who run Café G at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum now

A little more info….
The thing that cracked me up in the article,
“They were also approved for an entertainment license for a TV and non-live music.” by the select board. I didn’t realize they squeeze you for $$$ to have a freaking tv in your restaurant.

A little more info….
The thing that cracked me up in the article,
“They were also approved for an entertainment license for a TV and non-live music.” by the select board. I didn’t realize they squeeze you for $$$ to have a freaking tv in your restaurant.
Toby Leary at Cape Gun Works said he had to pay a license for every TV in the shop...

So we bought into the hype and tried Pepe's for the first time last night. The plan was to go to CT but timing got screwed up so we went to Warwick just to see. I wasn't impressed. The crust was very good. Good combination of crunch and chew but thats where it ended for me. We got a sausage and mushroom and it had no flavor at all. You shouldn't have to put anything on good pizza imo, but found myself putting salt on it just to liven it up. We will still try the original at some point just to see if its any better but as it stands now Pepe's is trash.

So we bought into the hype and tried Pepe's for the first time last night. The plan was to go to CT but timing got screwed up so we went to Warwick just to see. I wasn't impressed. The crust was very good. Good combination of crunch and chew but thats where it ended for me. We got a sausage and mushroom and it had no flavor at all. You shouldn't have to put anything on good pizza imo, but found myself putting salt on it just to liven it up. We will still try the original at some point just to see if its any better but as it stands now Pepe's is trash.
I have to agree, except maybe for the trash part, but overall, we weren't at all impressed. Especially for the price. And we also got ours from Warwick.

Frank

I used to like Uno's before they changed their dough. They were no Lou Malnatis but their deep dish pizza with eggplant, roasted peppers, and sausage was pretty good.

A couple of years in a row they did a jambalaya pizza during Madi Gras. That was a kick ass pizza.

Uno's really went downhill in the last five or so years.
Anyone try Galleria Umberto in the North End? Or Aunty Dots in Worcester?

Anyone ever tried Carabbas Italian Grill Pizza ?

Some went out or business, many discontinued the Pizza. Still offer pizza in the Florida stores... it was out of this world.
My favorite was the Italian Chicken Pizza with a sweet sauce
View attachment 871572

They also made a chicken Bryan pizza
View attachment 871573

And an excellent margarita Pizza
View attachment 871574
We used to go there once in while. I found the food to be very salty. Pizza ?? Can't say we had one so probably not that memorable.

I tried the warwick location and wasnt impressed at all given the hype around it. Just down the road is Anthonys coal fired pizza which is what i usually go with whenever Im in the area.

As far as I'm concerned, the only place for Pepe's is on Wooster in New Haven. Either Pepe's or "The Spot". There is something special about those ovens and the general atmosphere in New Haven that can't be replicated. I'm partial to a White Clam with Garlic, and a Summer Pie with fresh tomatoes and sausage. I've driven 10 hours, round-trip, to get pizza there with some colleagues who went to school in New Haven back in the 70s.

Hmmmm. Looks good. May have to try it.

Randolph Mass Lynwood Cafe
It's different and really good , small personal size bar pizza

We've never heard of it. Ever. [rofl]

The Red Wing was purchased for 1.35 million and it is being converted into a BBQ joint. It will be owned and run by an owner that is already well established inside the Stewart Gardner Museum. I can't get beyond the paywall so below is the best I can do.

The Patriot Ledger

·

A Milton couple who run Café G at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum now own the closed Red Wing Diner in Walpole.
Goodbye, Red Wing, and hello, Blondie's. Sale closes on popular dining spot near Gillette's. Sale closes on popular dining spot near Gillette

PATRIOTLEDGER.COM
A Milton couple who run Café G at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum now

1.35M to basically knock it down? Are we sure this isn't the people that ripped off the ISG museum???

Toby Leary at Cape Gun Works said he had to pay a license for every TV in the shop...

What a country, er, Commonwealth. If it can be taxed, we'll tax it. (Don't get me started on parking meters in cities that aren't crowded.)

So we bought into the hype and tried Pepe's for the first time last night. The plan was to go to CT but timing got screwed up so we went to Warwick just to see. I wasn't impressed. The crust was very good. Good combination of crunch and chew but thats where it ended for me. We got a sausage and mushroom and it had no flavor at all. You shouldn't have to put anything on good pizza imo, but found myself putting salt on it just to liven it up. We will still try the original at some point just to see if it's any better but as it stands now Pepe's is trash.

IIRC, the sauce is JUST tomatoes. The first thing I thought of was "thats' gonna need some salt." I still have to try it.

Pa Raffa's in New Bedford.

I drive by Ma's every day. I may have to try that as well.

Hmmmm. Looks good. May have to try it.

We've never heard of it. Ever. [rofl]

1.35M to basically knock it down? Are we sure this isn't the people that ripped off the ISG museum???

What a country, er, Commonwealth. If it can be taxed, we'll tax it. (Don't get me started on parking meters in cities that aren't crowded.)

IIRC, the sauce is JUST tomatoes. The first thing I thought of was "thats' gonna need some salt." I still have to try it.

I drive by Ma's every day. I may have to try that as well.
Ma’s isn’t as good as Pa’s.

And a vote for savas in somerset.
Although, not the best it’s a solid Greek pizza.

Back
Top Bottom