I feel like I'm cheating on S&W...

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Even though I love big bore handguns, I didn't have a .44 Magnum. Because I also love S&W revolvers, I've been holding out for a 3" Model 29 or 629. I know they're rare, but I was in no hurry and was waiting for one with the right price, and I figured I'd keep waiting unless something else struck my fancy.

Well... my fancy got struck:

anaconda.jpg

I picked up the beauty above, along with the original box and paperwork, a holster, and a box of ammo (with three rounds missing - supposedly the only three rounds that were fired through it) for $730.

It's a Colt Anaconda in .44 Magnum with an 8" barrel and a superb DA and SA trigger.

Here's the part that pisses me off (a little) - I shoot it better than most of my S&W revolvers. Here's 30 shots on a 9" paper plate at 50 feet:

44plate.jpg

I think I'm going to keep it.

It's a Colt Anaconda in .44 Magnum with an 8" barrel and a superb DA and SA trigger.

Here's the part that pisses me off (a little) - I shoot it better than most of my S&W revolvers. Here's 30 shots on a 9" paper plate at 50 feet:

44plate.jpg

I think I'm going to keep it.

I could have told you that if you had asked Jim. [wink]

Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the Joker in the Batman Movie? It'll take a half an hour to unholster that thing....Just kidding....That is AWESOME!!!!! Oh yeah...nice shooting too!

And as far is you feeling like your cheating...all I'll say is:

"Love the One You're With"

Awesome monster of a Revolver.... 8" barrel helps the accuracy - just got to be able to lift the dam thing. :)

What????!!!!????? TRAITOR!!!! At least that is what your other big bore revolvers are saying. [wink]

Nice pick up though. Gotta love it when a sweet deal falls your way.

Nice catch.
Thanks!

In this case, supporting my local gun shop paid off. I do a lot of business at Blue Northern in Ayer. I went in a couple of weeks ago to order some powder, and Tom Lynch (the owner) calls me over and says, "I've been waiting for you to come in. I have something in the safe that I wanted to show you before I put it in the case." The rest, as they say, is history.

Awesome monster of a Revolver.... 8" barrel helps the accuracy - just got to be able to lift the dam thing. :)

You know what's funny? I've been shooting my .500 and .460 so much lately that this thing actually felt small to me.

Wow. Just wow. What a gorgeous, gorgeous gun at a FANTASTIC price...

Just don't let it wind up like this poor Anaconda...

That link is probably the single biggest reason I don't yet reload...

Wow. Just wow. What a gorgeous, gorgeous gun at a FANTASTIC price...

Just don't let it wind up like this poor Anaconda...

That link is probably the single biggest reason I don't yet reload...

That's no more reason not to reload than any photo of a fatal wreck in the newspaper is a reason not to drive. Pay attention, learn what needs to be learned, and don't do what that guy did.

Nice gun Jim. Every so often I add a Colt to my accumulation of Smith and Wessons. They don't seem to mind. I do have to remind myself that the cylinder turns counterclockwise, especially when I load 5 instead of 6 <G>

I've always heard the Colt frame mitigated recoil better than the Smith 29 frame. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom