• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I am in love...

The Hornady version looks easier to use, but maybe a bit longer to set up than the RCBS one. (Based only on the two videos posted here)

Any compelling reason to get the RCBS version?
I forget why I got the RCBS, but I had it set up in like 3 minutes.

I couldn't find the 9mm shell holder so I set it up in the Dillon. Took me 3minutes because I had to remove a die.

I had the Dillon set for 45ACP and it worked fine for 360DW (same as 357).

I forget why I got the RCBS, but I had it set up in like 3 minutes.

I couldn't find the 9mm shell holder so I set it up in the Dillon. Took me 3minutes because I had to remove a die.

I had the Dillon set for 45ACP and it worked fine for 360DW (same as 357).
It’s green. The color of Broccoli.

The Hornady version looks easier to use, but maybe a bit longer to set up than the RCBS one. (Based only on the two videos posted here)

Any compelling reason to get the RCBS version?
The RCBS is 10-15 bucks cheaper... 🤷‍♂️

After a quick check, the Hornady only offers collets for rifle cartridges, RCBS offers both Rifle and Pistol collets...

Big flexibility difference...

From MidwayUSA's Description:

The Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller is the ideal tool for reloaders wanting a fast, easy way to pull bullets with their press. Simply raise the cartridge into the puller, clamp the puller down on the bullet, raise the press arm and presto, the bullet is out. Intended for rifle cartridges only.

Last edited:
Ok. I little more interneting says the Hornady Cam loc will work on pistol rounds that have enough flatness in the diameter above the case-mouth.

Here is a vid on the Hornady showing it is action:

After a quick check, the Hornady only offers collets for rifle cartridges, RCBS offers both Rifle and Pistol collets...

Big flexibility difference...

From MidwayUSA's Description:
No you can get collets for pistol calibers too. I have one for 9mm. But I think the Hornady puller works “better” with rifle bullets

No you can get collets for pistol calibers too. I have one for 9mm. But I think the Hornady puller works “better” with rifle bullets
Yeah, a collet is a collet, I guess. Both manufactures said "May deform cast bullets..." But they melt up again pretty easy. [smile]

Are the dies the same as the collet puller type? I bought some in the early spring before I left Indy, but I couldn’t figure out how to use them my first time. Everything got packed up after a ‘college try’/failed attempt.
Not sure if I understand what you are asking.

The RCBS is a die + a collet bullet puller.

The die holds the collets. Changing calibers takes under a minute.

I forget why I got the RCBS, but I did a lot of reading before getting one. If I got it, it is because most people in other forums recommended it.

I bought it like 4 months ago and just got around to use it so I don't remember all the details.

I like the Hornady because it reminds me of a beer tap...

1666581878660.png

I am looking at the RCBS now and may order it with calibers that I didn't order for the Hornady (.224 & .308),
and will evaluate for myself. After I decide what works best for me, I'll fill in the blank calibers for the model I choose. Good times...

Not sure if I understand what you are asking.

The RCBS is a die + a collet bullet puller.

The die holds the collets. Changing calibers takes under a minute.
I’m not sure I understand what I’m asking either. Maybe I should find the damn thing in my boxes before I ask any stupid questions about it?

I finally got my 800lb safe in my basement when my dad came to visit last weekend, so the reloading room setup finally got cleared for takeoff as soon as the weather turns and I don’t feel like spending more than a few hours outside.

Here is a vote for RCBS video...

Yeah, a collet is a collet, I guess. Both manufactures said "May deform cast bullets..." But they melt up again pretty easy. [smile]

Outstanding.
I was waiting to see if anyone used it for plated 230's and coated 158-170's.
I have a few hundred .38's to pull thanks to Black Bullets and the .45 cases I can salvage

See if you only had a kid to use the impact puller. I use a piece of scrap 2x4 when I have to pull the occasional bullet. But I might have to grab one of these when I run out of LPP because I have an ammo can of bullets waiting to be pulled.

Now you know.

This is the one:

Very easy to use.

I have the same one, keep in mind the caliber specific collet may not fit the bullet ogive contour perfect and the collets can slip off . Ive also had a hard time pulling nato crimped bullets and they may , or may not leave collet indents in the surface. The inertia type hammer pullers extract totally clean with no indents but i agree with you inertia hammers can be a real pia to get the bullet to extract . I hammer my puller off a thick oak block of wood.

Back
Top Bottom