• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I admit, I Know Squat About Glocks

While I like both platforms, my daily carry is the Glock. There has always been one aspect of it that has been attractive to me, and seldom discussed in the comparison threads.

If you love to shoot, and you want to own a variety of calibers (.380, 9mm, 357 Sig, .40, .45, 10mm, .45 Gap),and frame sizes (slimline, sub compact, compact, standard, and competition) then the Glock offers an interesting advantage, and regardless of caliber and frame size EVERY GUN IS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME.

And while I know this is a bit of an oversimplification, once you have mastered one of them, you have mastered them all.

Simple, reliable, not cluttered with unnecessary external controls, safe, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

The Glock is a tool, an appliance, utilitarian and reliable, but with no soul. It is the service package Crown Victoria of pistols.

The 1911 is the Harley Davidson of pistols. Classic design, lots of history. Older models may be problematic. Newer models will, for the most part, run with few problems, yet people insist on tinkering and modifying them with varying levels of success.

Your analogy breaks down in that Glocks are reliable and 1911's sound a lot better than Harleys.

Personally, for me, the Glock being made of plastic is a big turn off. I’m not sure why that is but I just prefer metal hand guns. That’s just me. But you, like my friend Lugnut and Rob Boudrie, both of whose opinions on shooting matters I respect, like both guns.

It’s just a personal preference thing for me, although I am a little upset (but not a lot) that you might think my opinion is foolish.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I'm referring less to the aesthetic judgment which seems to be your position, and more to the argument that says Glocks are somehow faulty because they're plastic which I've read on various message boards and heard from fellow shooters. When people say things like they don't trust plastic guns I have to wonder.

I think it's foolish to discount a gun because it's made of plastic, but I do understand the aesthetic preference of metal and wood.

So, no offense intended!

Yes, I'm used to the 9mm vs. .45 arguments but haven't paid a lot of attention to Glock threads in the past. I guess that's why I was struck by the comment that started this thread.
  • I keep tellin' dem europellets that they'll all fall to hardball.
  • Good defense starts with 4 and ends with 5.
  • Better to be armed with ball than nothing at all.
  • The 1911 was designed by God, and just like the books of Genesis were given to Moses, the 1911 was given to John Browning.
/taps microphone
Hello? Hello?
I can hear you breathing in the front row.

There is a reason why the 1911/2011 are the #1 gun for competition shooting;

trigger, accuracy, reliabilty

You forgot "custom parts availability". I think that's the biggest
overriding factor. The amount of COTS parts for 1911/2011s
is insane.

Want to make your gun compensated? 1911/2011s have the
biggest variety of barrels and comps out there. With other
guns, compensation is "custom" half the time, and "ineffective"
the other half.

You need an optical mount? No problem, theres at least a handful
of companies that make them, compared to 1 or 2 on a glock.

Don't like the irons that your gun came with? peen them out and
choose from like 5+ other brands/styles/heights.

Don't like that safety? There's 10 others to choose from.

Slide lock driving you nuts? There's probably a dozen or more of those available.

Don't like the grip panels? Tons available in various thicknesses
and other dimensions, from minimalist to "mr meathook" panels.

You want a flat trigger? No problem. Curved kinda, no problem... curved a lot... no problem... short reach, no problem, long reach, no problem.

Magwells? Prolly 10 of those, or at least a LOT.

Magazines annoy you? Replace them- with prolly a dozen other
brands/styles.

-Mike

There is a reason why the 1911/2011 are the #1 gun for competition shooting;

trigger, accuracy, reliabilty

And a reason why Glocks are common PD guns:

Any moron can pick one up and shoot/[not]maintain one.

No grip safety, no manual safety, no magazine safety, no special knowledge required.

That keeps training costs and maintenance issues to a minimum. Thus, bean-counters love Glocks.

Both guns have their advantages. I don't like the grip on Glocks so I got rid of it and love my 1911, so I still have it.

Shooters pick the 1911 platform because it is the easiest and fastest gun to drive, the aftermarket parts availablity is a result of this, while some may choose the 1911 for aftermarket availabilty. It is one of the worst platforms to modify because just about everything needs to be fitted, especially compared to the glock.

Even in a class that don't allow modification, where glocks once dominated. Gun like the XD and M&P are quickly gaining favor

And a reason why Glocks are common PD guns:

Any moron can pick one up and shoot/[not]maintain one.

No grip safety, no manual safety, no magazine safety, no special knowledge required.

That keeps training costs and maintenance issues to a minimum. Thus, bean-counters love Glocks.

Isn't the PD cost for a glock around $150, thats alot of extra donuts

Glock`s

When I got my LTC many years ago I went out and bought 2 guns. A G23 and a Sig 226. I brought both guns to the range. The Glock functioned flawlessly. After about 100rds. the Sig would start having misfeeds. After 3 or 4 sessions of this happening I called Sig and told them the problem. The technician went thru this whole spiel about cleaning and oiling the gun. Being a newbie to handguns( I was in the Army Reserve so I was familiar w/cleaning and lubing an M16) I just said ok.
Soon after I started reloading. I bought a Dillon 550. When I would get a Round that wouldn`t chamber in the Sig I would set it aside, load it into a Glock mag and fire away.
I soon sold the Sig for a G22. The point is not that Sigs are bad it`s that Glock`s will eat practically an ammo and function under the worst conditions. It`s like the comparision between an AK47 and the M16. In 2001 I was stationed in Bosnia. We did some training w/an Estonian army unit. They recently had transitioned from AK47`s to M16, A1`s. They hated the M16. They were complaining that the M16 was a POS because it jammed constantly. When we looked at the weapons they were filthy. We asked them how often they cleaned them. They looked at us and shook their heads. They told us they never had to clean their AK`s.

Back
Top Bottom