Husband's slaying an accident, wife says

PLEASANT TOWNSHIP
Husband's slaying an accident, wife says
Gun discharged during cleaning, deputies told
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:02 AM
By Theodore Decker

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
A woman told Franklin County deputies yesterday that she unintentionally shot her husband in their Pleasant Township mobile home while she cleaned spilled water off a shotgun.

Timothy Sheehan, 38, died in Doctors Hospital.

Deputies said they were called at 11:15 a.m. to 106 Red Oak Dr. W. in the Oak Hills Mobile Home Park at 5965 Harrisburg-Georgesville Rd. The park is south of Darbydale.

Sheehan's wife, Melissa, said she had been cleaning up water in a bedroom after a cat knocked over a glass, detective Drew McEvoy said. The water got on a loaded shotgun kept beneath a bed, and the gun discharged as she wiped down the weapon, he said.

The round struck her husband in the upper body as he sat nearby at a computer desk.

Two sons, ages 17 and 21, were home when the shooting occurred. A teenage daughter wasn't, a neighbor said.

Detectives remained at the home throughout the afternoon to determine whether the physical evidence corroborated the wife's story, but McEvoy said it initially did appear to be "a horrible accident."

Chris Hicks said the family moved in about three months ago. They were good neighbors, he said.

Hicks' girlfriend quickly grew close with Mrs. Sheehan. The women had talked excitedly about their mutual plans to improve their properties once spring arrived, he said.

His girlfriend drove Mrs. Sheehan to the hospital. She later told him Mrs. Sheehan was devastated and in shock.

Hicks said Mr. Sheehan worked nights and once dashed to the aid of Hicks' 10-year-old son when the boy fell off his bike. That showed the family's character, he said.

"It's just one of those terrible, unfortunate accidents that you wish wouldn't happen to such nice people," he said.

[email protected]

Seriously? [thinking]

It wasn't a "horrible accident"; it was stupidity! Round in chamber, safety off, weapon cocked....so much for responsible gun ownership. One more statistic for the anti-gunners to use in their never-ending quest to outlaw the private possession of firearms.[angry]

All that, yes.

But, some years ago, my neighbors must have left their car keys on the counter and their ~5 year old decided to "go to work, like daddy." Took the keys, got in the car, started it, put it in gear and rolled down the driveway, crashing into some parked cars.

By the same logic, cars should be banned because a family was irresponsible about "proper storage" of their vehicle.

I agree it wasn't too bright of Dad to keep a loaded shotgun THAT accessible. I am confident he won't repeat that mistake.

Let me get this straight.

A cat knocks over a glass of water in the bedroom.
The shotgun that is UNDER the bed got wet.
The wife picks up the loaded shotgun and pulls the trigger, husband dies.

Sounds like a legitimate story to me.

Let me get this straight.

A cat knocks over a glass of water in the bedroom.
The shotgun that is UNDER the bed got wet.
The wife picks up the loaded shotgun and pulls the trigger, husband dies.

Sounds like a legitimate story to me.

Ya, sounds good to me too. As well as Marcia is the best candidate and should get all of our votes. Guns are evil and bad and kill people. right?[thinking]

Not the first time pussy got a guy killed. I hate cats.

Cleaning loaded guns in any way is pretty stupid......

Last edited:
Either she murdered her husband, or we've just become privy to the stupidest person on the planet. [thinking]

ETA: The latter is probably true regardless.

Last edited:
If something got spilled on my gun, my wife would tell me so I could clean it. She would never start handling it on her own. Especially if I'm just a few feet away.

For some reason, I knew this was going to be an "I was cleaning the gun and it went off" excuse before I even clicked on the thread. Here is my shocked face. [shocked]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom