Hunting Wabbits

What do you like for a gun when hunting rabbits with dogs?

I've got a pointer and a flushing dog, so I'm not sure how well this is going to work out.

What do you like for a gun when hunting rabbits with dogs?

I've got a pointer and a flushing dog, so I'm not sure how well this is going to work out.

Shortest barrel IC choke 12ga with 3/4oz #4 shot is the combo that worked for many years for us.

I just realized, the hours for hunting rabbit extend into the night (in MA). More reason for me to get me some of that NV gear.

I always liked my Remington 11-48 .410. Hit from 50 yards consistently. 12,16 and 20 gauge usually beat em up so bad that we couldn't eat the meat when hit at close range, 20 yards and under. Wish that I was still hunting bunnies.

You got me thinking now..... I just got my first hunting permit on new years day and this did not dawn on me until I read this post now but a year ago I got a dog from a rescue and this past summer this dog escaped twice and both times it caught rabbits from the neighbors yard and brought them back unfortunately he insisted on eating them and he did. But I am now wondering that maybe he could help me find them? Anyways I think I will be hunting rabbit soon also........but the only gun suitable I have is a .22LR or my .22 pellet pump air riffle.

You got me thinking now..... I just got my first hunting permit on new years day and this did not dawn on me until I read this post now but a year ago I got a dog from a rescue and this past summer this dog escaped twice and both times it caught rabbits from the neighbors yard and brought them back unfortunately he insisted on eating them and he did. But I am now wondering that maybe he could help me find them? Anyways I think I will be hunting rabbit soon also........but the only gun suitable I have is a .22LR or my .22 pellet pump air riffle.

If your hunting with a dog, the rabbits will be running at mk2. The .22 is not the gun. Get a shotgun, even and $89 single shot off the used rack is fine.

I just realized, the hours for hunting rabbit extend into the night (in MA). More reason for me to get me some of that NV gear.

I don't believe the regs prohibit the use of lights for hunting rabbit, only for hunting coyote.

If your hunting with a dog, the rabbits will be running at mk2. The .22 is not the gun. Get a shotgun, even and $89 single shot off the used rack is fine.

Thanks for the advice! I may have to consider this just so I can include my dog, I know he would enjoy it, so long as no steel shot clips him. This would be the only thing that would concern me....

Artificial lights are permitted for the hunting of raccoon and opossum

Yep, just got home and checked. 'Artificial lights are prohibited for hunting any bird or mammal except raccoon and possum'.

"Well, Mr. EPO the regs said artificial lights are prohibited. This here is a REAL light, with batteries, not an artificial light"

THIS! still hunting rabbits = 22lr...........pushing the pucker brush by yourself or with dogs = shotgun.

I always liked my Remington 11-48 .410. Hit from 50 yards consistently. 12,16 and 20 gauge usually beat em up so bad that we couldn't eat the meat when hit at close range, 20 yards and under. Wish that I was still hunting bunnies.

I hunt squirrels with my son with a 12g and a 20g.......close up shots I taught my son to hit 'em with the fringe.......his first squirrel he ever shot was only 10 yards away.......he aimed low and kicked the shot up at it and the meat was fine. Yes .410 is a bit more ideal for little critters but if you know your gun a 20G or 12G is ok.

Took the dogs out this afternoon, to a spot where we've seen rabbits during bird season. The dogs were a bit slow to get into it, but I think something clicked when they smelled fur. The dogs were on scent a few times, and were having a great time. No bunnies spotted by me though.

I'm giving rabbit hunting a go on Thursday with my cousin sometime in the morning.
Neither one of us have been before.
We're going to a field we hunt geese at, that we normally see some cottontails.
I'm reading the regs and am looking for things I need to know.
We'll likely have a scoped .177 and scoped .22

Do we need to wear orange?
What else should we know?
The regs are so spaced out in different places.
Any and all pointers or links to regs I should know are appreciated.

I'm giving rabbit hunting a go on Thursday with my cousin sometime in the morning.
Neither one of us have been before.
We're going to a field we hunt geese at, that we normally see some cottontails.
I'm reading the regs and am looking for things I need to know.
We'll likely have a scoped .177 and scoped .22

Do we need to wear orange?
What else should we know?
The regs are so spaced out in different places.
Any and all pointers or links to regs I should know are appreciated.

Good luck and have fun is all I can say. No better way to learn to hunt a new species than to get out there!

I'm still trying to figure out where a good spot to sit and wait with the .22 rifle for rabbit would be. Can you bait 'em? What would you do, leave a pile of carrots somewhere in the woods and just hope they come by? [laugh]

I'm still trying to figure out where a good spot to sit and wait with the .22 rifle for rabbit would be. Can you bait 'em? What would you do, leave a pile of carrots somewhere in the woods and just hope they come by? [laugh]

Don't wait unless you know there are a few in the area, then it might pay off at dawn or dusk.

Otherwise, walk trails with brush and nearby grass about 1/2 hour before sunset to sunset.

If you see them before you scare them, you can get them that way with the .22

I use a 22....works fine

We scouted las Sunday and found some tracks on some huntable land. Only shotgun hunted small game with my son so far with some success......think sneaking out there way before sunrise with a scoped 10-22 will work?

We scouted las Sunday and found some tracks on some huntable land. Only shotgun hunted small game with my son so far with some success......think sneaking out there way before sunrise with a scoped 10-22 will work?

It would work.. but I would always prefer a shotgun over a .22. Most of the time you will only see a cottontail what they take off. You need to be really close for them to run. I don't see a big advantage in a .22.

Last edited:
Not sure of the rules around here, but when I lived in the outback of Australia, we hunted rabbits often. Always at night in the back of a truck (ute), with a spotlight and the dogs to fetch them for us.
Rifle of choice was the 10/22.
Great memories.

It would work.. but I would always prefer a shotgun over a .22. Most of the time you will only see a cottontail what they take off. You need to be really close for them to run. I don't see a big advantage in a .22.

I get that....so far we've always brought the shotguns when we have tried for rabbits but we were moving......poking around the briar patches trying to scare one out. The plan I have is that we found a thick patch of briars that has a small hill 50-75 yards away. Get in and set up way before sunrise and try to scope one at that distance.......don't think the shotgun is going to be too productive on a rabbit at 75 yards. Plan is for this coming Saturday morning.......the place we scouted on the snow shoes was loaded with rabbit tracks along a specific patch of briars that runs along a small stream......might be perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure of the rules around here, but when I lived in the outback of Australia, we hunted rabbits often. Always at night in the back of a truck (ute), with a spotlight and the dogs to fetch them for us.
Rifle of choice was the 10/22.
Great memories.
loaded long gun + vehicle = big no no

I have never hunted ducks but from what I remember in the hunter ed course even duck hunting your shotguns need to be unloaded until the boat comes to a complete stop.

Last edited:
I've never hunted rabbit, but would you feel safe firing a shotgun at a rabbit that's being chased by your dog? Seems like a tight shot and a reasonable chance of hitting the dog.

Back
Top Bottom