Hunting Shotgun Help (Mossberg 500 or Remington 870)

I'm looking to get back into deer hunting, but MA requires that you use a shotgun. I'm in the process of researching online, but I'd like to hear what y'all have to say. My budget is approximately $300 - $500.

I'm looking at the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870, most likely I'll get a combo kit with two barrels. I'm thinking to get a vented/smooth 28" barrel (might look into bird hunting) and one for deer.

I've heard a couple of different things, but I'm not sure as to fact. The general consensus is both are good.
- Rifled barrel gives additional accuracy, but requires more expensive plastic coated slugs.
- Buckshot will cause additional wear and tear to a rifled barrel
- Remington's have finish problems (express version?)
- Remington action is better

What do y'all use when hunting? Smooth bore or rifled? Buckshot or slugs?

I have been using the Mossberg 535 field combo. It came with the rifled barrel, the vent rib, and 3 chokes. Can be found here: http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-535...dwood-Stock-Shotgun/product/10218113/-1172279

I have been very pleased as it is good for several different hunts and pretty cheap for all you are getting. The slugs for the rifled barrel are a touch more expensive, but it's not like you are using them for plinking. They are accurate. Don't use buckshot in the rifled barrel, use it in the other one that comes with the combo. People bicker back and forth between the Remmy and the Mossberg all the time. I have used both extensively and can say that they are pretty much equal. They both have their plusses and negatives. When it comes down to it, the Mossberg is the better value. You are gettimg more for your money and it is every bit as capable as the Remington.

Personally I think Remington is a better quality gun in terms of feel. I've shucked a Mossy a few times and have held my buddies, they just feel sloppy to me. You can pick up a used Remington 870 for under $300 but the new ones with the combo barrel for around $440 are a great deal. If you are bird hunting and doing the deer shotgun season, I'd recommend the 20ga. It has better slug accuracy than the 12ga and is lighter to lug around for pheasant in the field. Spend the extra $$ on the sabots, in a rifled barrel they are as close as you will get to a rifle in terms of accuracy. I've never used buckshot, probably never will, seems less ethical and far less accurate. Just my .02, others may feel different.

I'm looking to get back into deer hunting, but MA requires that you use a shotgun. I'm in the process of researching online, but I'd like to hear what y'all have to say. My budget is approximately $300 - $500.

I'm looking at the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870, most likely I'll get a combo kit with two barrels. I'm thinking to get a vented/smooth 28" barrel (might look into bird hunting) and one for deer.

I've heard a couple of different things, but I'm not sure as to fact. The general consensus is both are good.
- Rifled barrel gives additional accuracy, but requires more expensive plastic coated slugs.
- Buckshot will cause additional wear and tear to a rifled barrel
- Remington's have finish problems (express version?)
- Remington action is better

What do y'all use when hunting? Smooth bore or rifled? Buckshot or slugs?

I have been hunting a lot of years and I have never seen the need for a rifled shotgun barrel. My smooth bore will kill deer well out to 100 yards with a cheap rifled slug. In 30 years of hunting I have not shot a deer beyond 60 yards or so with my shotgun as the woods where I hunt are too thick to see that far for the most part. If you hunt a lot of field edges I can see the need. Keep in ming that a rifled barrel is about 3X heavier than a smooth bore as well.

You can shoot buck shot out of a rifled barrel but it will lead up the barrel and because the buckshot is spinning the pattern is like a big donut and pretty useless so there is really no point.

JMO

Bob

horizontalhunter makes a good point about distances. Also the combo models (at least when I looked at them) are both smooth bore barrel in the sets ? You will not ruin a rifled barrel shooting non sabot slugs. Accuracy will suffer.
I have the 870 combo set I purchased in 1988. Both smooth bore barrels. I have also used my 28" barrel with modified choke with slugster remington slugs to take out a few critters.
Allthough the 28" is a liitle cumbersom in the thicket.
I prefer Remington over Mossy. My 870 express is not pretty but has been flawless for all my hunting needs. I also shoot trap and sporting clays with it.
Dont rule out the winchester 1300. This has been my go to gun for birds the action on them is smooth as silk they where once called the fastest semi auto pump gun. They are designed to start opening on recoil

Last edited:
The Remington 870 is a better gun with more aftermarket parts. The Mossburg is a few buck cheaper and not awful, I own one but will trade for a Remington 870 if anyone is interested

I have been hunting a lot of years and I have never seen the need for a rifled shotgun barrel. My smooth bore will kill deer well out to 100 yards with a cheap rifled slug. In 30 years of hunting I have not shot a deer beyond 60 yards or so with my shotgun as the woods where I hunt are too thick to see that far for the most part. If you hunt a lot of field edges I can see the need. Keep in ming that a rifled barrel is about 3X heavier than a smooth bore as well.

You can shoot buck shot out of a rifled barrel but it will lead up the barrel and because the buckshot is spinning the pattern is like a big donut and pretty useless so there is really no point.

JMO

Bob

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

what ever you choose take the time to learn its shooting quirks. I have a 1300 with a smooth bore "deer barrel" accuracy on this falls sharply after 50 yards(hence why I keep the 28" barrel for birds on it.
My remi is dialed in @ 75 yards point of aim +point of impact. Of course where talking minute of deer or about 5" groups. I have taken the time to figure out my hold points @ 25 50 and 100 yards......I never have had a 100 yard shot presented to be with out something being in the way. Also I could hardly see a deer at that distance unless its the big white "you missed me" flag dashing away.

what ever you choose take the time to learn its shooting quirks. I have a 1300 with a smooth bore "deer barrel" accuracy on this falls sharply after 50 yards(hence why I keep the 28" barrel for birds on it.
My remi is dialed in @ 75 yards point of aim +point of impact. Of course where talking minute of deer or about 5" groups. I have taken the time to figure out my hold points @ 25 50 and 100 yards......I never have had a 100 yard shot presented to be with out something being in the way. Also I could hardly see a deer at that distance unless its the big white "you missed me" flag dashing away.

Buy one box of every type of slug you can find that is suitable for your shotgun and take it to the range and see which slug your gun likes. Don't play with the sights at this point all you need is to be on paper and look for the tightest group at 40 or 50 yards. Then you will know what YOUR gun likes. Once you have determined what slug go buy a bunch of boxes and dial it in.

FWIW I do not shoot 3" shells in my smooth bore. IMO it is not necessary for the hunting I do.

A lead sled is nice for this. I was at the range a couple of years ago and there was someone "dialing in" a scope two days before the shotgun opener from a free standing position at 50 yards. Every 4th shot was on the paper. I made a few suggestions which he didn't want to hear.

When he left I heard him say: "Damn my shoulder hurts. I got to get back to Dicks and return this piece of $hit scope."

Bob

What types of sights are y'all using? I only have experience with 'standard' rifle sights and scopes, but apparently there are all sorts of sight configurations available.

As others have stated, you will probably not have a shot more than 75 yards in Newengland woods. I've found a scope can be difficult to find the deer in thick woods and magnification isnt really necessary. That said, rifle sights should be fine and you can get some truglo fiberoptics for an 870 for like $25. A rifled slug from a smoothbore barrel will work if you take the time to find the right slug and pattern it. However, if you use a rifled barrel, you will immediately notice the accuracy and tighter groups that can be had. And if you dont want to develope a permanant flinch, go with a 20ga, the ballistic reports don't lie. You can kill a deer with either gun Rem/mossy, smoothbore/rifled, 12/20ga, it just comes down to preference and what you can be accurate and confident with.

What types of sights are y'all using? I only have experience with 'standard' rifle sights and scopes, but apparently there are all sorts of sight configurations available.

I use a shotgun scope on mine. It is a Bushnell 1.5 to 4.5. It is perfect for me and the hunting that I do. I had the receiver drilled and tapped for the scope mount.

Do yourself a favor and don't bother messing around with those side mount scope mounts. I tried a B-square many moons ago. It was junk.

Get the receiver drilled and tapped or go with the rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount if you are going to go the scope route.

Bob

Last edited:
As others have stated, you will probably not have a shot more than 75 yards in Newengland woods. I've found a scope can be difficult to find the deer in thick woods and magnification isnt really necessary. That said, rifle sights should be fine and you can get some truglo fiberoptics for an 870 for like $25. A rifled slug from a smoothbore barrel will work if you take the time to find the right slug and pattern it. However, if you use a rifled barrel, you will immediately notice the accuracy and tighter groups that can be had. And if you dont want to develope a permanant flinch, go with a 20ga, the ballistic reports don't lie. You can kill a deer with either gun Rem/mossy, smoothbore/rifled, 12/20ga, it just comes down to preference and what you can be accurate and confident with.

Gotta be honest, I've never fired a shotgun. I'm a fairly big guy and never had any issues w/ the rifles I've handled, so I didn't even think about potential issues with recoil (12ga vs 20ga). Thanks for the response.

I've got a Mossy 535 turkey/deer combo. It was a bargain-oriented purchase. Topped with a Nikon shotgun scope, Hornady SST sabots were easily placed on target though. 3" groups @ 75 yds with ease. Next to a shooter with a bolt-action firing rifled slugs, his were on target but not nearly as accurate. One thing about the Mossberg is the slide rattles a bit. I'd really like to replace it with a Savage 220F.

I have the Moss 500, but bought it decades ago, 18" smooth barrel. Later picked up a 28" for birds...great gun, but if I had it over again, I'd get the 870

They work, I have one, but I'm not a bit mossy 500 fan. My favorite shotgun(considering $) is the rem 1100. I'd go look for a used 1100.

Go with the 870. 50 years from now you'll still have it, it'll still work, and can pass it on to your grand kids.

Field and Stream rated the 870 #2 best shotgun of all time while while the 500 was rated 23rd. If I had to bet my life on a gun, it'd be my 870.

I have a camo-painted Remington 1187 w/ 28" barrel for Turkey.
I have a short-barrel folding stock Mossberg 500 for a fun/ home gun.
The remington seems to have the edge in the quality department, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with my 500.

I was in a similar position - trying to decide between remington and mossberg. For me, what it boiled down to was the increased availability of 870 aftermarket parts, plus having fired the 870 before at a range (borrowed) and loving how it felt. For all I know the 500 would have felt just as nice, but I knew I loved how the 870 felt, so I went with it.

Took it out turkey hunting a few times this spring, never had a chance to fire it. Looking forward to giving deer season a shot, and resisting the urge to blow $<hundreds> on accessories for such a short hunting season, without even knowing how it performs out of the box....

I have only been hunting since last year. I had many of the same questions. I ended up with a 12 ga. Remington 870 Express combo with 26" VR barrel, and rifled deer barrel. I harvested a nice 170+lb 5pt buck with it last December. Open sights (no scope). I used Remington 3" premier Accutip bonded sabot slug. It works great out of the rifled barrel. After all the expenses involved in getting my license, the gun, all the other equipment, etc. I didn't see any point in "cheaping out" and using anything but the best ammunition I could find. I tried Hornady and several others at the range, and settled on the Accutips and couldn't be happier with the results.

I've also used the regular barrel and gone (successfully) sea duck, and (unsuccessfully) turkey hunting. I now have a decent collection of choke tubes for various shooting (trap, skeet, and hunting) situations.

I have absolutely no regrets.

The rifled barrel is what I'm trying to avoid spending $xxx on, myself :). I mean, it'll last a lifetime, but ... such a short hunting season ... :)

I'm sure you could effectively make use of smooth bore barrel and rifled slugs, but given the low incremental cost of the 870 Combo vs. the same gun with only the smooth bore, I went with the combo.

I also saved money by driving up to Kittery Trading Post, and buying a 'gently used' shotgun, versus buying new. I paid less for my used combo with two barrels, than a new gun with just the 26" vent rib barrel.

The wooden stock and fore-end were a big dinged up, but mechanically the gun is like new (just needed a real good cleaning). I also took some time & re-finished the wood (pretty much free - only cost me some time), and it looks great now.

If you go to ktpguns.com, you can enter search criteria, and see what they have in-stock. They usually have HUNDREDS (thousands?) of used firearms available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom