Hunting Safety Training

Okay so I haven't purchased my hunting license in some time, so even thought I have my LTC, Military Training and the good common sense
that god gave me. Mass decided it would be a good idea for me to take a Safety training course in order to get my hunting license, I understand this is like a 3 day course and I get the great honor of paying AGAIN for another course.

Does anyone by chance know when these coarses are ??

First, go to MassWildlife's homepage, and you'll find a link.

Linky: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_basic_listing.htm

The courses are free. Often they're held at local gun clubs, but they fill up FAST. If a Club's listing is "FULL", call the club, often they will allow a few people to come and take the places of the ones that dont' show.

Now...If you've had a hunting licnese in the past, that should be enough to get you a current license (assuming you can find it).

There are two courses, one is an experimental on-line (mostly) version, the other is 5-6 3-hour sessions (actually, more time would be helpful, as there's a LOT of info.)

I took it back in the day, when how to take down a mammoth with a stone spear was day three, and took it this past spring with my son- I remembered a lot, but there were MANY changes, especially WRT laws (including a new one for this season where an ATV is treated as any other motor vehicle WRT transportation of long arms) and the fact that a Mass LTC-ALP will not permit you to carry some guns in the woods!

Oh, and it's not a new requirement - it goes back a long time.

Last edited:
Does MA still allow the small game license without the hunter safety? I recal a time when one could get the small game license, go to NH and get a non resident license then head back down to MA and get the full license due to have a valid license from another state?

Okay so I haven't purchased my hunting license in some time, so even thought I have my LTC, Military Training and the good common sense
that god gave me. Mass decided it would be a good idea for me to take a Safety training course in order to get my hunting license, I understand this is like a 3 day course and I get the great honor of paying AGAIN for another course.

Does anyone by chance know when these coarses are ??

Go to a Masswildlife office and request an affidavit.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/licensing/licensing_faqs.htm

Why do I have to complete an affidavit to purchase a Massachusetts Hunting or Sporting License?
In 2007, legislation was enacted that requires first-time Hunting or Sporting license buyers to produce a certificate showing they have passed a state or provincial Basic Hunter Education course or show a hunting or sporting license issued prior to January 1, 2007 by any state or province. If your MassFishHunt customer record does not contain either of these items, the system will provide an affidavit upon which you can swear, under pains and penalties of perjury, that you are qualified to purchase a Massachusetts Hunting/Sporting license. Completion of the online affidavit is a one-time requirement, and you will not have to go through this process during future license purchases.

The above is from the online FAQ's, but the same goes for an over-the-counter license.

Last edited:
Most of the courses fill up way ahead of time, and there are often no-shows. The host clubs probably won't know ahead of time. If there's one near you, best plan is to just show up a half-hour or so ahead of time and ask if there's an open seat.
Hopefully you can find one from your previous life, or the DFW has a record of one. Good luck.

Another option is to take one out of state if you can find one. Most of the instructors are hunters so at this time of year they are out hunting. If you can find a previous license or duplicate slip that is enough to get you a new license.

Bob

Does MA still allow the small game license without the hunter safety? I recal a time when one could get the small game license, go to NH and get a non resident license then head back down to MA and get the full license due to have a valid license from another state?

Doubt it.

If you're in the woods, with a gun, during hunting season, you're presumed to be hunting, and if you have no license, poaching.

Mass EPOs are somewhat less than accepting of that sort of thing.

If you have no previous license, don't mess around. If you do or did have a license from "before" MassWildlife will be able to take care of it.

MA HUNTING LIC.

A past hunting lic. from ANY State is accepted to purchase a Ma hunting license

Course listings can be found @ masswildlife.org

DOWNWIND-(Ma Hunter Ed Instructor)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom