• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting on unposted land

OK, so I know of a piece of land which is unposted. I can't really get in touch with the owner. What are the rules for hunting on it? Barring the owner coming and telling me to leave(which becomes a trespassing issue at that point), what else do I need to be worried about?

There're rules, and there's what's right. Me, I'd try harder to get in touch with the landowner. The city/town clerk might be of some help there -- land ownership is public record, along with tax records.

Mass. DFW says:

A hunting, fishing or trapping license is not permission to trespass or intrude on private land, posted or not. Remember, your privilege to enter on private land is a courtesy extended to you by the owner. Practice courtesy and leave a good impression if you want to continue hunting, fishing or trapping.

Is this in Mass?

If yes, what are the town bylaws, if any? Many towns have "no discharge" rules.

Many of not all, also have "Written landowner permission required"

Is this in Mass?

If yes, what are the town bylaws, if any? Many towns have "no discharge" rules.

Many of not all, also have "Written landowner permission required"

Isn't that more of an inside 128 thing then for the rest of the state? I saw a good map once color coded for hunting/discharge/etc and very few towns central or west had any such rules.

But then again, my memory is going the way of my eye sight.

Personally I would not be venturing into someone's property with a firearm if I had no permission to be there and they had no clue I was coming.

Are we talking some random area of woods that's privately owned but never inhabited? I guess you could take your chances but I'd be very weary. I know of areas where deer roam that are very close to houses that are only occupied during Summer months. Very enticing indeed, but I don't have the guts to go walking up someone's 1/8th mile-long driveway with a 12 gauge in my hands.

Just my $.02 but if you know the land is privately owned why risk hunting on it without permission? Go ring the bell, in something other than your camo, and ask for permission. If no one is there, drop a letter in their mailbox. Definitely try harder.
I personally would wait to hear back before I stepped foot on their property, esp with my 12ga.

If there are no town bylaws prohibiting hunting or requiring permission you are good to go. In Mass unposted land is legal for the public to hunt unless further regulated by the town. It is the way it is, reguardless of others opinions of whether you should or not. Asking will almost always get you a no. Use the land but be respectfull of it and if asked to leave respect that too.

This list is probably not complete, to be sure check with the town clerk on possible hunting bylaws. http://macouncil.tripod.com/id28.htm

Last edited:
Alow is correct.

Unposted land is OK to hunt, but all setbacks, etc., must be observed. The EPO at the lat Hunter Ed course I attended was very clear about this. He was also of the opinion that it was best to get permission, if possible. He was also quite clear that pursuing/tracking a wounded animal onto posted land ( that may abut where you're hunting) is a no-no. Call the EPOs, they can get it for you.

As stated above, it depends where you're hunting - Framingam.....I'd not do it.....in the wilds of West Treestump, that's another matter.

As far as the MGL goes, Chapter 131, section 36 reads:

Section 36. A person shall not fish, hunt or trap on private land without permission of the owner or tenant thereof, after such owner or tenant has conspicuously posted thereon notices which bear the name of such owner or tenant and which state that fishing, hunting or trapping on such land, as the case may be, is prohibited.

I have long struggled with this myself there are a few pieces of propert I would love to hunt however, the property owners are corp. and a few half hearted attemps have not got me to the point where I can actually talk to someone who can say yes.... So I don't hunt them...I would like to but I don't need to somehow become unsuitable.....

I have found alot of other property where a firm handshake, a thank you card, and occasionally a a pie.. To the point twice I have recived phone calls offering me permission to hunt property! Both spots were less then stellar however the folks still got the thank you card and a pumpkin pie in the fall... I actually did hunt one property on a whim and see a nice deer and I scrwed it up as I always do!
I guess my point is there is alot of property out there you can hunt with permission that you don't have to risk hunting without! The nice thing about massachussets we have alot of wildlife but not alot of hunters!

As a land owner (out west) I will say don't do it. I know there is a history and legal codification that puts the burden on land owners to keep hunters out, but it's a terrible system and just invites people to claim they "didn't see the sign". It happens on our property every year no matter how many signs we put up. If you absolutely insist on it, be very careful. You don't know who else is out there, where they are, what directions they are firing, etc. And leave the place no worse than you found it. We get ruts cut in our fields, fences taken down and put back poorly, gut piles left in random places -- you name it. Farmers I know generally hate hunters from the cities for these reasons and spend a few weeks in the Fall policing their property (and trying not to get shot).

The best thing to do is to find a landowner and lease the property for hunting. We let people we know hunt for free (exclusively) if they agree to police out the trespassers. It can be win-win if you find the right owner.

Back
Top Bottom