Hunting on un-Posted land?

SAV

In MA can you hunt on any un-posted private land?

I see vehicles parked along the highways during the season, so I'm wondering what the laws are.

Depends on the town you are in and if it has any bylaws that pertain to requireing permission. If there are no bylaws you are legal on unposted land. If there are you must abide by whatever bylaws the town has. The easiest way to find out is call the town clerk in the town you are interested in. I have a list of most of the towns that do have restrictions and will post it later when I find it.

As an owner of private land, I am of the firm belief that hunting on private property without permission is unacceptable. Ask first. Maybe I haven't been living in Mass long enough, but hunting on private land without permission seems tantamount to stealing and has the potential to be dangerous as well. Are landowners just supposed to assume that random hunters can be roaming their property? Of course, posting is a good idea, but the notion that landowners must opt-out of the trespassing of others is ridiculous.

I (and most sportsman) will agree with your first statement 100%. Wholeheartily, permission should be gotten, no excuses but its a stretch to say its stealing, especially when State law (with noted local exceptions) say otherwise. One may be 'tresspassing' but 'stealing' what? The landowner does not own the game, the Commonwealth does.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; I,myself, do not post my property.

I (and most sportsman) will agree with your first statement 100%. Wholeheartily, permission should be gotten, no excuses but its a stretch to say its stealing, especially when State law (with noted local exceptions) say otherwise. One may be 'tresspassing' but 'stealing' what? The landowner does not own the game, the Commonwealth does.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; I,myself, do not post my property.

Good point; I don't mean stealing the game, but rather the rights to use or enter the property. Naturally, if law encumbers property owners with the obligation to post or to permit hunting, then that is the way it is.

My experience with this is not good. I am from a farming area in the midwest, and endured the annual flock of fuds driving in from the city, hunting wherever they landed, and shooting anything that moves and in about any direction. No kidding, I probably came closest to death in this manner than in any other one day when one of these guys was hunting deer near our cattle, I went to run the fool off, and he muzzle swept me as I approached. I was a kid at the time, and alone. If I had to do it again I wouldn't go unarmed, but I recall thinking that I was too close to deer size that day. I learned the importance of property rights early.

As an owner of private land, I am of the firm belief that hunting on private property without permission is unacceptable. Ask first. Maybe I haven't been living in Mass long enough, but hunting on private land without permission seems tantamount to stealing and has the potential to be dangerous as well. Are landowners just supposed to assume that random hunters can be roaming their property? Of course, posting is a good idea, but the notion that landowners must opt-out of the trespassing of others is ridiculous.

I agree. In NH non-posted land is legal to hunt, but I won't unless I get permission from the land owner.

You are in a different part of the country now. If you don't want hunters on your land and you are in a town with no restrictions you must post it. Those are the rules here and your personal views don't mean squat unfortunately for you.

If you just want to know who is on your property you could post it "hunting by permission only" also.

The days of the urban yahoos you talk about are almost gone. Hunter numbers are dwindling and many of those urban yahoos lost there gun permits when the system changed here in Mass. Most of what you have left are dedicated and knowledgable hunters.

This is not the south or the midwest. It is a long standing tradition in most of the northeast that you can hunt whereever it is not posted. In NH and Maine one of the preferred methods of hunting big bucks is tracking. A buck may take you many many miles before you catch up to him. It is impossible to find and get permission on every piece of property that buck might cross.

Half the time we hunt we don't know who's property we are on. But we do respect the land and leave it as pristine as we found it. Most of the time we do see the landowners they ask us if we have had any luck. Never have we been asked to leave or had a problem. But we would leave respectfully if asked.

When it becomes required for me to ask permission before I hunt I will. Till then I am not going to risk losing my hunting spots because the owner just happens to be having a bad day on the day I happen to ask permission.

Disclaimer: Much of my hunting is done in permission only towns where I have to have written permission so I am not averse to getting permission when required. Usually the hunting us better in those towns anyways.

The MSC website certainly does NOT have all the info. A quick look told me that some towns/significant restrictions are missing from their lists.

I recall reading at some time in the past, that MGLs (don't know which one or if it was F&W Regs) stated that one MUST have permission from the landowner to hunt on their property.

I'm not a hunter and thus have no interest in chasing this down, but anyone that is a hunter in MA should check to make sure before assuming that it's legal to hunt wherever there are no signs to the contrary.

The MSC website certainly does NOT have all the info. A quick look told me that some towns/significant restrictions are missing from their lists.

I recall reading at some time in the past, that MGLs (don't know which one or if it was F&W Regs) stated that one MUST have permission from the landowner to hunt on their property.

I'm not a hunter and thus have no interest in chasing this down, but anyone that is a hunter in MA should check to make sure before assuming that it's legal to hunt wherever there are no signs to the contrary.

Hence the bold type warning at the top of the page...... [rolleyes]

WARNING - This information is compiled from the best current information available and is offered only as a general guide. Since local ordinances can and do change -- sometimes without the knowledge of this agency -- there is no guarantee as to its accuracy and hunters are urged to check with local police departments when in doubt. Towns not listed are understood to have no ordinances affecting hunting.

Arlow, fine, but many read only snippets and are tempted to "run with it" . . . dangerous act when it comes to laws.

One I know of changed their laws pre-1985 and it still isn't listed on the MSC site.

Arlow, fine, but many read only snippets and are tempted to "run with it" . . . dangerous act when it comes to laws.

Stupid is, as stupid does.

One I know of changed their laws pre-1985 and it still isn't listed on the MSC site.

I believe that is covered under the "used as a general guide", "there is no guarantee as to its accuracy" and "hunters are urged to check with local police departments when in doubt."

However if you are so concerned with someone inadvertantly getting in trouble you could be really usefull here. Would it not be most relevant for you to post that town (and any others you know of that should be on that list) and its restrictions here so all could be privy to that information? Just a thought..... [thinking]

Only if it is posted, or you are within 500 feet of a building. (C. 131 § 36, C. 131 § 58)

Only if it is posted, or you are within 500 feet of a building. (C. 131 § 36, C. 131 § 58)

Yup, unless said building is abandoned, then it is not considered "in use" to the 500 foot buffer does not apply. Better be damned sure it is abandoned though. [smile]

well what "people always say" yes here in mass if its not posted and its someones property, you need permistion etc etc to hunt it. anyone will tell you that. well you cant drive up to someone property and say wow look there property is great, not posted lets hunt, thats just being stupid.

but, if the property butts public hunting land, if theres no way to tell where there house is and or property line then if they dont want anyone there, it should be posted. right?

and honestly in those cases when someones land does run into "hunting land" the people who dont want hunting, post the fn shit out of it.

most people here have problems with deer sneaking around there yard eating all there wifes flowers anyway, and they only wish you would hurry up and shoot all the deer. and a few are nuts enofe to want to buy more flowers just to watch the deer eat 200 dollers a min.

well what "people always say" yes here in mass if its not posted and its someones property, you need permistion etc etc to hunt it. anyone will tell you that. well you cant drive up to someone property and say wow look there property is great, not posted lets hunt, thats just being stupid.

but, if the property butts public hunting land, if theres no way to tell where there house is and or property line then if they dont want anyone there, it should be posted. right?

and honestly in those cases when someones land does run into "hunting land" the people who dont want hunting, post the fn shit out of it.

most people here have problems with deer sneaking around there yard eating all there wifes flowers anyway, and they only wish you would hurry up and shoot all the deer. and a few are nuts enofe to want to buy more flowers just to watch the deer eat 200 dollers a min.

On so many levels........... [thinking]

epic_fail.jpg

How to post?

In MA, what must a sign say? I saw it somewhere, but can't find it now.

i know what you mean, for it to be legally posted etc, it has to say no this no that, this and that and have the owners name and contact information on it. if it does'nt have all that info then its kinda in the gray meaning its posted but its not. and thats not just mass i think its almost everywhere that it should list the no nos and be sighned by the owner of the land for other reasons like needing permission to recover game, or proof that not just anyone stuck those sighns all over the place, etc etc etc etc. i think they also have to be a certin distance from eachother and a certin height from the ground also, every other tree 3 per tree at 2 feet 4 feet and 6 feet, that should just about cover it on them rules LOL

the yellow tyveck signs ive heard are best, see them good, they say everything, there cheap and last a long time etc. they have a spot for the owners name and contact info

Last edited:
In MA, what must a sign say? I saw it somewhere, but can't find it now.

I think this is what you are looking for.

CHAPTER 131. INLAND FISHERIES AND GAME AND OTHER NATURAL RESOURCES

Chapter 131: Section 36. Fishing, hunting, or trapping on private, posted land

Section 36. A person shall not fish, hunt or trap on private land without permission of the owner or tenant thereof, after such owner or tenant has conspicuously posted thereon notices which bear the name of such owner or tenant and which state that fishing, hunting or trapping on such land, as the case may be, is prohibited.

i know what you mean, for it to be legally posted etc, it has to say no this no that, this and that and have the owners name and contact information on it. if it does'nt have all that info then its kinda in the gray meaning its posted but its not. and thats not just mass i think its almost everywhere that it should list the no nos and be sighned by the owner of the land for other reasons like needing permission to recover game, or proof that not just anyone stuck those sighns all over the place, etc etc etc etc. i think they also have to be a certin distance from eachother and a certin height from the ground also, every other tree 3 per tree at 2 feet 4 feet and 6 feet, that should just about cover it on them rules LOL

Are you just making this up as you go along? [shocked]

further more mass sucks and you cant just hunt anywhere anyway. the property doesnt have to be posted to be private, just needs to be owned by an a**h*** who thinks everyone can see his imaginary 200acre property line.

nh is not posted you can hunt. if its posted its posted very well and clearly. the way it should be.

and i know why i dont post here, most of you are ma**h***s, who have nothing better to do that comment on spelling, and get pissy when people dont use the search option.

come on a new england forum. really im shure your all great people, a**h***s.

further more mass sucks and you cant just hunt anywhere anyway. the property doesnt have to be posted to be private, just needs to be owned by an a**h*** who thinks everyone can see his imaginary 200acre property line.

nh is not posted you can hunt. if its posted its posted very well and clearly. the way it should be.

and i know why i dont post here, most of you are ma**h***s, who have nothing better to do that comment on spelling, and get pissy when people dont use the search option.

come on a new england forum. really im shure your all great people, a**h***s.

I think the only a**h*** here is you. Have a nice vacation. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom