hunting in state parks without hunting allowed

Warning: I am not about to break the rules

I live extremely close to a 2600 acre+ state park. Unfortunately hunting is not on the list of approved activities at this state park. I was curious if there was any way to get a chance to hunt in there.

If anyone has experience dealing with the DFW about this kind of stuff, your information would be valuable.

Unfortunately hunting is not on the list of approved activities at this state park.

Hunting would be allowed in the state park assuming several things:
1) The park does not specifically prohibit it.
2) There is not a discharge law in which ever town(s) the park is in.
3) All laws regarding discharge of a firearm or bow within 150' of a road 500' from an occupied dwelling are adhered to.

If you want PM me the particular park you are interested in it and I'll look into it directly.

Last edited:
M1911 is correct. DCR is in charge of state parks. Many of them have been gtanted lands with covenants that hunting not be allowed. Good luck!

No dice, if it is specifically prohibited by signage at the park it closed to hunting. Got willowdale near me and the half that basically borders my property is off limits.

Is it prohibited? I know that the one park I looked into for hunting said right up front No guns or hunting. that was bare cove, in hingham BTW. I would think that if there are no signs, and the website or paperwork doesn't prohibit it, then its allowed.

Sorry, but this is MA we are talking about.

What is your point. Are you confused?

In Mass it is legal to hunt on unposted land without permission unless town bylaws require differently.

Lord,

You need to find out DCR policy on their lands, and find out if something has to be expressly allowed in the park regulations in order to be legal. Or if it must be listed as not allowed. A simple phone call to the DCR would be a far more effective strategy.

Nope, not confused at all. DCR has many parks where they don't allow hunting, and they aren't posted well, if at all.

Exactly. Look at the link I posted above. It implies that the list of State Forests & Parks are open to hunting.

NOT TRUE!

One example I know off the top of my head is Willowdale. A portion of it is open, but a huge part is CLOSED. There is no signage that I know of that posts the closed part as closed. If you get caught in the closed part, good luck trying to talk your way out!

Exactly. Look at the link I posted above. It implies that the list of State Forests & Parks are open to hunting.

NOT TRUE!

One example I know off the top of my head is Willowdale. A portion of it is open, but a huge part is CLOSED. There is no signage that I know of that posts the closed part as closed. If you get caught in the closed part, good luck trying to talk your way out!

Exactly my point and I've run into hunters in the no hunting part.

Back
Top Bottom