Hunting Ettiquette Question

In God We Trust

NES Member
I enjoy hiking in the woods during the fall. I don't hunt, so I am wondering if this messes anything up for the hunters. I know I have the right to walk any damn where I want, but I am curious if quietly walking down a trail (not hanging out, just walking through) disturbs deer or hunters.

If so, is the disturbance real or just like when someone coughs during a golfer's back swing. Is this a typical hunter's peeve that they bitch about? Thanks in advance.

PS: yes I wear bright colors.

Most hunters I know, myself included try to setup somewhere there wont be alot of "traffic" from people out and about, if you are looking to "break brush" that might piss someone off, Last year I was out for a walk and saw a few deer of in the distance and they stared at me didnt run or spook for a good minute then took off, depends how much contact they have with humans in the area, they are prey but do get a little complacent id imagine from that incident.

If I am hunting any where near trails I expect someone to walk by. Depending on the area this can be good.

I have a buddy that bagged a 10 point buck after a couple of 4 wheelers stopped 50 yards from his stand hung out for 5-10 minutes (they never saw him, and he never tried to alert them to his presance) and then left. Two minutes later, the 10 pointer walks right through were the 4 wheelers were and into his shooting lanes.

Some people will get mad about just about anything. I had a guy get pissed at Foxwoods when I was playing blackjack because I "wasn't playing it right" and he thought his bad hand was caused by me.

Question for the OP: Can I just recruit you to come take a walk where I hunt? I'll give you some hunter orange to wear and I'll show you exactly where I need you to walk with about 3 or 4 other guys in a line spread out over around 75 yards. [wink]

Question for the OP: Can I just recruit you to come take a walk where I hunt? I'll give you some hunter orange to wear and I'll show you exactly where I need you to walk with about 3 or 4 other guys in a line spread out over around 75 yards. [wink]

Haha does he need to wear a bell and point?

Make sure YOU are armed.

As to what hunters might think? IDGAF.

BAD idea, carrying in the woods during hunting season (unless you are hunting with the proper firearm and permit) can get you into a lot of trouble.

I bought my ex a new fur coat with white mittens to take a hike in the woods ,but she didn't bite.[smile]

I like to hike in the woods during deer season... [thinking]

images

Walk away! They suggest hunters casually walk when scouting, so as not to alarm deer by sneaking along like a predator.

Avoid State Troopers.

Back
Top Bottom